[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it that makes literature superior to other mediums?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: bubbly pepe.png (26 KB, 396x400) Image search: [Google]
bubbly pepe.png
26 KB, 396x400
What is it that makes literature superior to other mediums?

Don't pretend it isn't.
>>
it's older, and there's more of it, so there's a higher absolute number of good literature vs other, younger media
>>
in general, words and spoken language are our most direct and heavily developed means of symbolic expression and representation

it's the same reason we talk to each other and have conversations rather than dancing about and painting together
>>
It takes discipline to both create & consume it.

It can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere (assuming literate) no matter who they are.

It conveys information with a density that other art forms simply cannot do.

It can simultaneously teach & promote intense, visceral emotive states.

It requires a depth of imagination & visualization other mediums do not.
>>
>>7663933
>
Agreeed haaerd thb brotha agehha chuhggggggg
>>
>>7663933
/thread
>>
>>7663933
What is painting.
>>
>>7664079
Something it takes discipline to both create and comsume.

Something that can be enjoyed by anyone, anywhere (assuming not blind) no matter who they are.

Something that conveys meaning with an immediacy and unity that other art forms simply cannot do.

Something that can simultaneously teach and promote intense, visceral emotive states.

Something that requires a depth of imagination to conceive and a capacity for reception of visuals other mediums do not.
>>
>>7664333

bingo

>>7663933
>>7663934
>>7664009

retards
>>
>>7663933
>It conveys information with a density that other art forms simply cannot do.
Actually I'd argue that visual art forms, especially film which is showing 24 images in rapid succession every second, can convey information in a far denser fashion. Reading is one dimensional, you are literally following a single line of words that wraps around the pages, you can't decide what you're focusing on. Everyone reads a book the same way, assuming they're not skipping.

Not that literature isn't better, of course.
>>
>>7664345
>which is showing 24 images in rapid succession every second
But the images are almost identical
>>
>>7664348
And yet, on a high definition projector like in theaters, there are 8,847,360 little places you could be focusing your eyes at any given time, and some films do their best to fill all of that space with information
>>
>>7663915
senpai, you got it all wrong

It's not about the medium, it's about the country of origin.

Russian lit>the rest
Russian music>the rest

all other mediums are bs
>>
>>7664364
More like Indian music>the rest

Before too much western influence got to it (and there's still some pure stuff around) India was making some of the most beautiful music on this planet, I swear to god
>>
>>7664370
P O O
O
O

I N
N

L O O
O
O
>>
>>7664377
I used to be in on this meme, but I went on vacation in India a few months ago and went to five or six different cities of varying wealth, never once saw anyone shitting in the street. Sorta disappointed
>>
>>7664370
Post some examples then faggot
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.