[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I pray to God I don't end up like Charles Bukowski. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: nHVuwVg8.jpg (32 KB, 490x490) Image search: [Google]
nHVuwVg8.jpg
32 KB, 490x490
I pray to God I don't end up like Charles Bukowski. What a sad, lonely motherfucker.
>>
>You don't try. That's very important: not to try, either for Cadillacs, creation or immortality. You wait, and if nothing happens, you wait some more. It's like a bug high on the wall. You wait for it to come to you. When it gets close enough you reach out, slap out and kill it. Or if you like its looks you make a pet out of it.
>>
Loneliness is inescapable to anybody with an artistic temperament.
>>
>>7663713
guhhhh reddit pls go
>>
So is this dude a second-rate Céline or what ? What's his deal ?
>>
>>7663713
Boollsheit daezoo
>>
>>7663719
He gets (got) dumped a lot.
>>
>>7663719
Celine, Fante and Hemingway rolled into one.

Nothing wrong with his books if you can get over the simplicity and repetition of its themes.

Reading him is like watching an action film: sure there's better out there but i cant be arsed with highbrow stuff all day

Done goofed up poetry though
>>
File: download (8).jpg (8 KB, 172x184) Image search: [Google]
download (8).jpg
8 KB, 172x184
>>7663654
I pray to God I never manifest an intense hatred for all of existence like that of this man.
>>
>>7663734
story?
>>
File: Meanwhile_in_Germany.png (521 KB, 720x526) Image search: [Google]
Meanwhile_in_Germany.png
521 KB, 720x526
>>7663654
The last years of his life were pretty happy. He loved his wife, had enough money to buy good booze and his work was easier because he wrote on a Macintosh.
>>
File: haters gonna hate.jpg (28 KB, 359x292) Image search: [Google]
haters gonna hate.jpg
28 KB, 359x292
>>7663654
>lived a comfy life with his wife in a huge mansion in southern California
>went to the track by day, drank and wrote by night
He ended up pretty good OP. Or did you mean you don't want to get fat?
>>
Bukowski is shit.
>>
>>7663982
>mansion

Source
>>
>>7663839
Was he suffering from any alcohol-related ailments? I find it tough to imagine him healthy after decades of heavy drinking
>>
>>7663654
He had the guts to be himself and face reality, not live a delusion.
>>
>>7664075
he was mostly sober for the last 2 decads of his life after he had a severe bleed( gastric ulcer?) Died of leukemia, much like the "last days of the suicide kid"
>>
>>7663654
haters gonna hate. i like his poems. op is a faggot as usual
>>
Who are the best people to read on an alcohol abuse related level?

I've got

Hemmmmmmmmmmmmmingway
Faulkner
Thompson
Tennessee Williams
Bukowski
Kerouac
>>
>>7663737
>Nothing wrong with his books if you can get over everything that's wrong with them
Bravo, reddit.
>>
>>7664519
You're missing Fitzgerald and Lowry if you're just looking for authors who drank themselves to death.
>>
File: 1454689620838.jpg (43 KB, 411x418) Image search: [Google]
1454689620838.jpg
43 KB, 411x418
>>7664533
>>
He was only sad and lonely until he was about 50 years old. After that he was pretty happy and drunk and had plenty of women around to abuse.

So there's that to look forward to.
>>
>>7664568
>He was only sad and lonely until he was about 50 years old.
People have killed themselves for less than this.
>>
>>7664575
we can only regret that he didn't take that option and spare us from his "oeuvre"
>>
>>7664637
Not that I disagree, but my point was more about how ridiculous saying that being miserable for "only" 50 years is.
>>
>>7664484
>he was mostly sober for the last 2 decads of his life
Eh, I'm pretty sure he kept drinking until near the end. Bukowski was just extremely lucky. I read a story in Playboy a couple of years ago about the filming of Barfly. According to people who were there when Bukowski filmed his cameo, he drank 9 bottles of white wine on at least one day he was there. In the same story it says that when Buk was being examined to see if he was fit enough to get chemo and radiation for his leukemia, the doctor said he had the liver of a 8 year old school boy or something like that.
>>
>>7663654
w2c Celine portrait tee
>>
>>7665134
that's his own face
>>
>>7663764
Just read the first half of Love is a Dog from Hell. It's almost as if /r9k/ wrote a book. They aren't bad poems though, I really enjoy them. Bukowski's diction is retry simple, but it's powerful nonetheless.
>>
Bucuckski brought it upon himself. The dude couldn't control his women. It's like he WANTED them to cheat on him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=047rxy5nYeo
>>
File: image.jpg (306 KB, 1600x1068) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
306 KB, 1600x1068
"BUT GOD WHO'D WANNA BEEEEEEE. SUCH AN ASSHOLE???"
>>
>>7663713

Is this how you justify you're depression? By pretending its a inherent part of some other positive quality in yourself?

Stay in that cycle loser, maybe you'll kill yourself one day.
>>
>>7665310
he's got a point though. 99% of the greats were depressed at some point and some were outright manic.
>>
>>7665310
>you're
>>
>>7665204
Thanks
>>
>>7665326
>99% of the greats were depressed at some point

I'm pretty sure 99% of people are depressed at some point.
>>
So I was going to make a bread but I already noticed this one so I'll ask here. I'm about to finish all of his books about Henry Chinaski where do I start with his poetry?
>>
>>7663654
After a while, one should realise that the only thing that will stay with you until your death is the pivotal values which shaped your path. I know that this simply sounds like "just be yourself" bro, but it's a bit more complex than that. Charles Bukowski found his values, and they stayed with him until his ashen end, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. In fact, it's all that you really can do.

John Williams, the author of Stoner, writes about this sort of shit a lot:

“One does not deceive oneself about the consequences of one's acts; one deceives oneself about the ease with which one can live with those consequences.”
― John Williams
>>
>>7663713
No its not. That is the stupidest thing i've read today.
>>
>>7666586

2nd
>>
>>7663982
>go to the tracks
>not degenerate
>>
>>7664519
König Alkohol (german title) by Jack London
>>
>>7666630
At least he went outside.
>>
>>7663713
This is what retarded tumblrinas say to themselves
>>
>>7666630
He went to the tracks to quit drinking. He would've died if he hadn't substituted one vice for another.
>>
Can you guys post any proof that he ever quit drinking?
He was as happy as he could be when he finally became famous. Some say that what saved him was his wife, she is some sort of veggie chef or something and cooked good meals and generally took care of him. He must also have been a tough/genetically blessed (at least in liver genetics) sort of fella.
>>
>>7663654
I always wanted a tshirt with my face in it.

I will make me one
>>
>>7665331
No.

Suicide rates and depression among geniuses and people of higher intelligence tend to be higher.

It's very well documented.

/sci/ keeps puking out threads about depression and intelligence, they're usually filled with "you're not smart because you're depressed OP".

I'm sure more people are depressed around the smarter end of the spectrum.

I'm also sure most people who mention the correlation between intelligence and depression are not intelligent.
>>
>>7666974
He apparently switched to good wine after he met his wife instead of drinking rotgut liquor and beer. But he must have been lucky with his genetics, yeah.
>>
File: th.jpg (14 KB, 231x300) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
14 KB, 231x300
>>7665159
>that's his own face

no it isn't
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.