[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Confess your sins
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 14
File: SeventhSealL_468x333.jpg (25 KB, 468x333) Image search: [Google]
SeventhSealL_468x333.jpg
25 KB, 468x333
>I haven't read a book this year
>I prefer pdfs over physical copies
>anytime Nietzsche comes up I spout off bullshit about his philosophy without ever reading him. and people agree with my points lol
>I enjoy music more than reading
>>
>sins

Nice spook
>>
If you like prefer music why don't you go to /mu/
>>
>>7663574

>I think people who read less than 75 books a year and still browse /lit/ are idiots with poor executive functions
>I think ADD is a euphemism for stupidity, and no excuse.
>>
>>7663596
How are these sins? This is what any reasonably intelligent person realized long ago
>>
>>7663596
>I think people who read less than 75 books a year and still browse /lit/ are idiots with poor executive functions

Or just not NEETs.
>>
>>7663596
I agree with the first one to an extent. It varies. Surely, War and Peace and a picture book can't be held to equal level.
>>
I am reading at least a book a week, but I read it over the course of two days and read little to nothing the rest of the week.
>>
>>7663596
oh dreary me I only read 30 books last year (2 a month) I guess im a pleb
>>
>>7663626
you think you're not a pleb, which is all the funnier because yes, you are in fact a pleb

>>7663610
unless you're working 120 hours a week not being a NEET is not an excuse

if you devoted even 1/3 of the time you spend on tv/internet/"just chilling" to reading 75 is a very achievable target
>>
>>7663622
this isn't bad to me if you're thinking about the book as I'd come back and reread misc passages in this instance
>>
>>7663596
I bet you read mostly books under 200 pages anyway, faggot. I know your kind.
>>
>>7663640
What about the time I spend living life instead of experiencing it vicariously through literature?
>>
>>7663610

I'm not NEET, and I managed 94 last year. I'm on 12 this year so far. Not short ones either, among them are Anna Karenina and Underworld.

You should try using a stopwatch every time you're browsing the web and shitposting on the chans. Then look at it at the end of the day.

>>7663615

True. I'd say it fits with an average length of 300-500 pages. Of course, there's still variations in density and complexity, but it's just a rule of thumb.

>>7663626

Not necessarily a pleb, just an idiot with poor time management. Do you think you spend more time here on /lit/ than on reading? Because that's pretty absurd.
>>
Majoring in lit made me lose my interest in it and I have probably been reading maybe 20(?) pages of fiction daily so far this year
>>
>>7663661

You really don't. I don't consider it a race or a way to gain achievements of reading a set amount of books.

It was just a post to call attention to the fact that a lot of people here hardly read and actually spend more time shitposting than reading. It was done in a somewhat controversial way to ensure the (You)'s that I live and thrive on.

In conclusion, eat shit and read more.
>>
>>7663665
quaint justification when everybody 'lives life'; art articulates the multiplicity of experience beyond the sphere of any individual and if you're not into lit to explore the depths and peaks of that--the totality of experience--then go ahead and live life m8
>>
>>7663665
if that's your choice go for it m8, no judgment from me.

however, you should embrace said choice and not use it as justification/excuse for not reading. if you really wanted to read/care about literature, you'd find time to do it. and it's really not a binary. many great readers/writers "live life" just fine.
>>
I never read a book for leisure until last year.
>>
File: 1402115130546.png (10 KB, 363x349) Image search: [Google]
1402115130546.png
10 KB, 363x349
I can't read.
>>
>>7663740
>leisure

I meant pleasure.
>>
>keeping count of how many books you read per year

maximum pleb
>>
>>7663745
Lies. You wouldn't have posted in this thread
>>
>Prefer short(er) stories
>Absolutely loathe stream of consciousness; postmodernism doesn't exist, either does magic realism.
>Think academia killed poetry and successfully "tricked" the public into a cultural cringe when discussing popular poets like Poe, Carroll and Wordsworth.
>>
>>7663826
>Absolutely loathe stream of consciousness; postmodernism doesn't exist, either does magic realism.

Heresiarch

It's call that you prefer short(er) stories though
>>
>>7663836
>It's call
>>
>>7663767

>Feeling inferior due to reading 10-20 books a year

Maximum transparency.
>>
>>7663680
And why is reading a lot necessary to posting on /lit/? Maybe you only like the classics and post only in threads about them.

Also, there are more /lit/ activities than reading books, like writing, learning languages, reading poetry, critics. If you devote all your time to reading as many books as you can doesn't make you more literate than the rest of us.
>>
>>7663649
It's more like I will read the book Sunday and Monday, but then the rest of the week I dick around when I have free time.
Should mention I'm an MFA student, so I am writing at least. I just know I should and could read more.
>>
>>7663874

>And why is reading a lot necessary to posting on /lit/?

Before I answer that, I'd like to know if you really thought it through before asking it.

>Maybe you only like the classics and post only in threads about them.

There are enough classics for you to never be done with them at 75 per year.

>Also, there are more /lit/ activities than reading books, like writing, learning languages, reading poetry, critics

Reading is the cornerstone of most of these.

>If you devote all your time to reading as many books as you can doesn't make you more literate than the rest of us.

It quite literally does, look up the terms you're using :^)
>>
>>7663874
> If you devote all your time to reading as many books as you can doesn't make you more literate than the rest of us.
t. someone who doesn't read but still wants to be "literary lifestyle"

also wtf, reading poetry and critics is included in reading books.

writing and languages also don't make you well read you retard
>>
File: cat staring at sandwitches.jpg (25 KB, 363x321) Image search: [Google]
cat staring at sandwitches.jpg
25 KB, 363x321
I loathe brazilian academy polishing their weak poets, writers and chugging it down on ususpecting kids trying to get into a university just because of >muh culture when they could be introduced to better authors from across the word.
>inb4 vestibulando
Nope
>>
>>7663574
i've read infinite jest 3 times
>>
>>7663576
Agreeed haaerd thb brotha agehha chuhggggggg sukouk spook, suoiik chuhggggggg
>>
My fear of reading is now a source of conscious anxiety.

Also, the only writer I've enjoyed reading within the past few years is Terry Eagleton and maybe Fredric jameson - I've read through the preface of Marxism and Form, and so far he's pretty fucking straight forward.

Bourdieu's alright.
>>
>>7663574
I regularly criticize book I've never read.
>>
>>7663909
Reading 75 books a year means that you devote 4-5 hours to reading, probably your entire free time if you're not a NEET. That leaves no more time to writing, learning languages, reading essays about books. All of these are literature-related activities that you don't get to do if you're obssesed with your number.

>>7663911
Who the fuck said anything about being well-read? We were talking about literature.
>>
>>7663970
you seem illiterate
>>
>>7663972
You seem elitistic.
>>
File: squid boner.png (106 KB, 224x261) Image search: [Google]
squid boner.png
106 KB, 224x261
>>7663596
>I'm the kind of person who can rattle off the number of books I read to appear smart even though I don't remember anything about them
>>
I'm 22 and have spent most of my life playing video games. It wasn't until I randomly picked up The Sun Also Rises in 2014 that I got interested in literature. I only read a few books last year.
>>
>>7663775
I had my secretary type it. She reads me your posts and then I comment in them.
>>
>>7663610
You can read for an hour a day and reasonably expect to read 75 books a year.
>>
>>7663987
>elitistic

i-is this bait anon-kun?
>>
>>7663989

>I'm the kind of person who is disturbed by the fact that there are people who can read that much more than me, so I must believe them to have poor retention to maintain my idea that I am superior to everyone

Transparency level: 100%.

Honestly, I'll tell you what I've told everyone else. Stop shitposting so much and read more. It'll make both you and the board greater.
>>
>>7663926
Is any of it any good?
>>
>>7663574
>I'm an academic failure. I should study but I spend the time doing other things, like reading fiction.
>The amount of books I read makes me look smart to some people, but I'm in fact an idiot. Thus, I deceive people and don't correct them because of vanity. This makes me feel guilty.
>I read because escapism. I tried to kill myself once, reading depressing books doesn't makes me depressed but happy, it makes me feel I'm speaking with someone who understands.
>>
>>7664305
Similar feel
>>
>>7663596
>>I think ADD is a euphemism for stupidity, and no excuse.

It might be a euphemism for something, but I don't think that thing is stupidity.
I "have it" and never had any problems in school.
I always had grades in the high 90s and never studied once in my life. Everything came easy to me, but I never could spent more than 10 minutes on any one thing before thoughts would become so clustered that I was no longer in reality.
The only books I read were books like Catch 22 that jumped around a lot.

Now I take adderall and feel like a genius.
I don't know if I just had a personal problem with being super bored all the time or if ADD is real. I don't want to voice this concern in real life because I really like having adderall.
>>
I have sinned. I don't think I can ever find forgiveness for the things I've done. Forgive and indulge me this story. I have to get it off my chest in one way or another.

I'm 29 years old. I was born into a happy home. My parents met in grad school, and my dad supported my mom as she went through law school. The first eight years of my life were perfect - almost like a dream.

My mom died shortly after my baby brother was born. I was 8 at the time. Much later in life, I learned it was suicide.

My maternal aunt tells me that my mother was brilliant and beautiful, but never without any melancholy. This was reflected by my dad's total despair at her loss. I was too young to feel anything but grief at her absence.

As my baby brother grew older, it became clear that he took after my mother. He was so handsome to the point of being almost angelic. His voice had the quality of silk soaked in honey. He was talking coherently before one, reading shortly thereafter and writing not long after that.

In time, my dad wholly preferred my baby brother to me. Allowing him to spend hours just reading and writing, while I was told to do the houshold chores. When my baby brother wasn't reading, he was talking to my dad about what he was reading. My dad's face would light up in a way that was nowhere to be found when he spoke to me.

I suppose he reminded my dad of my late mother. I started to resent my father. Soon, I started to resent my baby brother too.

As he grew older and started to mature, my baby brother started to change. He became progressively sadder, then depressed.

I remember, shortly before I graduated uni and moved out, walking to his room to return a movie of his. The door was ajar, and I remember hearing him sobbing quietly. I didn't ask him what was wrong, and I quietly left him alone.

When I moved out, I never kept continued contact with them. My dad was never happy that I pursued business rather than science or the arts, and I could tell that my leaving made him unhappy. His parting words were that I needed to read myself and know myself before exercising away the anger that's inside of me. Whatever. I was angry at them both for excluding me from their compact of love.

I didn't talk to them for years, until my aunt called me in 2013 and told me that my brother had died. Suicide. I thanked her for telling me, and my mind went blank.

I talked to my dad for the first time in years. He was completely broken, all over again. I had nothing to say to him at the time. He handed me a box of things my brother wanted me to have. A few books and wrapped parcels with certain dates on them.

I didn't touch anything in the box for a while. I wanted to forget all of this and move on with my life.

My father died of an aneurysm years later, in 2015. I tend not to believe these things, but I honestly think it was due to a broken heart.
>>
>>7664346
That night, I looked at the box. I went through the books and, not being much of a reading guy, I didn't know where to start.

I saw Plato at the top of the box. Then I remembered something my dad and baby brother used to say frequently: "Western philosophy is but a series of footnotes to Plato." I picked up Plato's Symposium and flipped to the first page.

My brother had signed:
"I knew you would start here! This is my favorite 'book', and I hope you like it too.
I've always loved you so much. What happened wasn't your fault, (Anon), but something I couldn't put off any longer. You always inspired me to stay strong, with your stoic manner and your strength. If only I could have been so strong.
Please talk to dad. He loves you more than you can possibly imagine, and not a day goes by where he doesn't tell me how much he misses you.
I hope one day, you two will be able to sit and talk about eachother's lives like men. I'm giving you these books because I believe they can help you come to terms with your life and your anger at dad.
I love him more than anything in the world, and it pains me to see the grave injury your absence inflicts on him. It pains me to see the hurt you've endured so stoicly for so long, not being able to do anything about it.
I'm sorry about everything, and I hope that we'll meet again somewhere, (Anon).

With love,
Your baby brother."

I read all of his books. He was right. I'm no longer angry at him or dad, but angry that I can't fix anything anymore. He's gone, and so is dad.

Wherever you are, Leo, I'm so sorry. Please send me a sign - anything! Something so that I don't have to go to my grave with this guilt. And dad, why couldn't you tell me that you loved me as much as him? Why fill me with so much anger? I wish I could still tell you that I love you too.

Anyways, this has been exhausting. I think I'm going to go get a drink.
>>
>>7664177
There are some 10/10 authors but take for example Franklin Cascaes who recorded fishermen stories (azorean fisherman) and wrote a book using their "speech". I mean it has some cultural and historical value but being on the list of the local federal unviersity as mandatory for admission tests? I mean, how many of public schools kids here will even hear of I don't know, fucking Jules Verne, or fucking KAFKA THERE ARE PEOPLE HERE THAT DON'T KNOW KAFKA because it's :
>machado machado machado machado machado 24/7
Or some stupid minor local author like Cora Coralina in Goias or Franklin here in floripa. We have some amazing authors, jesus I love Guimaraes Rosa (It's untranslatable so don't even), Borges (Argie but people here don't hear of him often because of >machado). And the fact they do this at such crucial age of learning means that this kids repertoire are fucked for some good 10 years unless they go into some /lit/ rehab or something.
>>
>>7663596
>a euphemism

is this grammatically correct? not american here, serious question
>>
>>7663999
in all seriousness blind people are in a really tough spot, since they can`t read regular books.
now there`s good advances on text to speech software but its hit or miss i`ve noticed.
>>
>>7664381
nope.
>>
>>7664351
I was not ready for these feels.
>>
>>7664381
Yes, because it sounds like a "yew/you" sound; that is to say, a consonant sound and not a vowel sound, so you use "a" instead of "an"
>>
>>7664381
Yeah, I'm pretty sure.

You would say a youth and euphemism sounds like that in the beginning.

It is about how the words sound and not how they are spelled.
Another example is how you would say "an hour" and not "a hour" even though it starts with an h.
>>
I didn't read a single book on my own accord until I was like 19
Now I read about 1 book a week and it's pretty much the only hobby I have besides shitposting
>>
>>7664411
btw the first book I read was Roadside Picnic because I liked S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
>>
>>7663945
Tell me about Bourdieu, Anon. I feel like I should read him for research in my sociology MA. Where should I start to understand his theories while also enjoying the read?
>>
>>7664321
What do you study anon?
>>
>>7664346
>>7664351
Your life kind of sucks bro. I suggest religion.
>>
>>7664351
>Symposium
>"Western philosophy is but a series of footnotes to Plato."

What fucking plebs thank god they killed themselves
>>
>>7664367
Tenho alguma curiosidade quanto aos escritores brasileiros, mas tenho medo de os ler e começar a falar de maneira abrasileirada, e depois escrever assim. Tens recomendações de bons escritores daí que não me mudem a prosa?
>>
>>7664821
Acho que como regra geral os mais antigos tem um portugues mais, uhm.. Portogues. Ja tentou machado?
>>
File: image.jpg (16 KB, 300x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16 KB, 300x256
>>7664642
>>7664642
Regardless of you think about Plato, they're not entirely wrong.

Platonism is the fundamental basis of Christianity, via St Augustine. Plato essentially laid the foundations of physical science, political philosophy, higher education, and Western religion/theology.

Like it or not, his works are some of the most influential in the West.
>>
>>7664123
No way. In an hour you'll do about 30 pages on average. Assuming 300 pages per book, that's 36 books a year.

If you read literary fiction at the speed of a page per minute you might as well not bother doing it at all.
>>
File: DSC_2160.jpg (1 MB, 4000x2250) Image search: [Google]
DSC_2160.jpg
1 MB, 4000x2250
>I fell for the redpill books meme and bought all these books

Read a bit of each before I realized I had dun goofed and actually threw them all in the trash.

Feels bad man
>>
>>7664904
>traditional living
What
>>
>>7664824
Ainda não, mas vou ver. Obrigada!
>>
>>7664346
>>7664351
Things that never happened but gave me slight feels anyhow
>>
I'm the most plebbiest guy on /lit/.

I pretty much only enjoy fantasy and sci-fi books.
although lit has improved my taste i still only come on here to watch in marvel as other users are having educated discussions about poetry and philosophy, while im reading some fantasy book.

What is wrong with me?
>>
I added a book to my 'read' list on goodreads when I only listened to the audiobook.
>>
>>7664904
>buying that shit

I fell for the meme too but at least I didn't buy them. Never trust /pol/ with book choices.
>>
>>7665279
I will tell people I read a book I only listened to on as an audiobook.
>>
>>7663574
I eat from the trash can
I eat from the trash can all the time
>>
some1 put delillo's face on death
>>
>>7665283
But Anon, /pol/ uses /lit/'s charts.
>>
>>7663596
75 books a year? lawl some of us have other shit to do. I think if you read 75 books a year and are not employed as a critic, then you need to diversify your hobbies.

Which is a nice segue into my sin:

>I believe there is such a thing as a reading too much.
>>
>>7663595
/mu/ is not about music
>>
>>7663574
>>I haven't read a book this year
>>I prefer pdfs over physical copies
If you read that little it really doesn't matter what format you prefer, you're not a serious reader anyway.
>>
>>7664902
>No way. In an hour you'll do about 30 pages on average. Assuming 300 pages per book, that's 36 books a year.
>If you read literary fiction at the speed of a page per minute you might as well not bother doing it at all.

you sound retarded, 70-130 pages/hour is no problem for an experienced reader
>>
File: oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-small.jpg (13 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
oDCku2OIub5lDuf7fCdTkg-small.jpg
13 KB, 300x400
>>7665870
You're the most fedoristic anon I have ever seen.
>>
>>7666156
you sound retarded
>>
File: 1454212565935.jpg (45 KB, 474x700) Image search: [Google]
1454212565935.jpg
45 KB, 474x700
>>7664904
hahahahahaha
>>7664305
yep I feel you family

>feel like mind is in constant fuzz
>the few times I sit down and really pore over a single page or two for an hour make me wonder what the fuck I'm doing every other time I read - just passively remembering the meaning of things?
>most of the time I sit down to read nowadays I just stare out the window or at my phone or put my head down
don't get me started on writing
>>
>>7665379

nigger.
>>
>>7664904
Kek, I did the same thing but instead bought Evola and Rene Guenon's work. The former was so obtuse and substanceless that I never even bothered getting around to the latter. Goddamn Evola is garbage.
>>
>>7666164
No, you sound retarded
>>
>>7665517

then what is it about?
>>
>>7663870
There is nothing wrong with reading less than 20 books per year. It all depends on what kind of books you read desu senpai
>>
>>7666748
memes about music
>>
>>7664459
Symbolic Language & Power - or Culture and Power: The Sociology of Pierre Bourdieu
>>
>>7663695
Holy shit what an embarrassing post
>>
>i only got into reading because i find scriptwriting to be a fucking pain in the ass and preferred to just write in book form
>i use the information i've gathered on /lit/ to make myself sound more well-read than i actually am
>>
>>7663596

How is that a sin? Stop projecting brah
>>
>>7664887
I think the point it that Whitehead's quote is a banal platittude.

Like all quotes its impact lays in how fashionable or smooth it sounds, something that depends on its novelty.

Once the novelty wears off not only does it sound drab and meaningless, it also gives people a chance to mock others for not realizing how common the quote is, "the fools look at them trying to be witty HAHA HOW PATHETIC I'M SO MUCH BETTER THAN THEM I better use my time to drop a comment and lurk the rest of the thread as opposed to reading!"
>>
>>7664887
Physical science? Fuck are you talking about?

Citation required
>>
>>7665870
You read 130 pages an hour?
Thats too fast I doubt you read very intently or otherwise read dense books.
30 pages per hour is a very bare minimum but anything above 100 pages an hour is too fast for a huge chunk of readers.

70 books a year is probably very readerlike for someone with a full time job. But that comes from more than 1 hour a day maybe 2.

For real stopwatch how much time you waste in a day previous anon there's a lot of opportunity cost there.
>>
>>7667513
I agree that circlejerking over a quote is dumb, but the idea isn't wrong. Plato's a pretty important dude, family.

>>7667518
You could do the research yourself, but here:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/plato-timaeus/#8
Timaeus, like most of Plato's dialogues, incorporates thought from many pre-Socratic philosophers. Here, he compiles many thoughts about the nature of the universe into one narrative. These are the beginnings of natural philosophy, which was the precursor to the empirical sciences.
>>
>>7667769
>>7667513
Disregard my reply. I just woke up and my reading comprehension is shit because I haven't had my coffee/cigarette/amphetamines yet.

You're right.
>>
>>7667800
>>7667769
>>7667513
It's almost like the poster was being ironic.
>>
>>7667769
Are you insane?

The presocratic conception if the universe was ludicrous. It didn't help the useful modern day science grow, that was started almost in independence.

Plato's and the presocratic views of the universe were by modern day standards, ravings of ascetic mad men.
>>
>>7667529
check out this subvocalizer
>>
>>7669342
there are a lot of "ludicrous" claims in the history of science that were the ravings of ascetic mad men. they're all still part of the story.
the very fact that the presocratics looked at the universe as explainable by observation (vesus something explained by the gods), the implicit belief in naturalism, induction, observation is literally the founding blocks of science. this was only fully recaptured in the renaissance and enlightenment.
>>
>>7669365
Couldn't have said it better.
>>
>>7665307
>>7665279
Does anyone seriously have a problem with this? I recently listened to Blood Meridian and it was great.
>>
>>7664987
>Obrigada!
please be gay
>>
>>7663574
>>7663574

I like to catfish married/engaged/taken women online
I regret losing my virginity when I was 16
I hate myself and want to die
I am a scumbag
I like to make threads to bash Lolita even though I have never read it and never will
I think George Orwell's 1984 is more interesting and thought provoking than The Idiot by Dostoyevsky
>>
>I unironically think IJ is one of the greatest novels of all time
>>
>>7669711

Oh yeah and I am an alcoholic
>>
I intentionally state opinions about books I have never read or even know anything about. And when people try to refute me I actually get legitmately mad for some reason and keep arguing myself into a hole about something I pulled out my ass.

Not even joking
>>
>>7669717
>Oh yeah and I am an alcoholic
That's the first step to becoming a great writer!
>>
>>7669724

If there is a god may he bless you my boy
>>
File: 1396380700880.jpg (37 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1396380700880.jpg
37 KB, 400x320
>>7669722

I don't know why I find this so funny, but you have made me laugh harder than anyone this year.
>>
File: 1454248312524.jpg (219 KB, 1134x1001) Image search: [Google]
1454248312524.jpg
219 KB, 1134x1001
Seduced three women while they had bfs.
Sex out of wedlock with more women than I can remember
Harbored hatred for my father and rejected his wisdom, made my mom cry
Apostacy
Despair
Hypocrite
Spurned the hungry and the needy
Other shit I can't even bear to say. I'm haunted by my sins daily. The secrets I hold will go with me to the grave, and when God judges his subjects he will condemn me. Oh God. Forgive me.

Please, bros, turn to Christ before it's too late. I didn't even know I could do what I did, and now I am suffering with guilt and self hatred. I may never be able to sleep sober again.
>>
>I'm reading Brothers Karamazov right now and it bores the hell out of me.
>I've been on a bit of /lit/ reading binge because I have a staggering inferiority complex due to not having a father growing up and thus attempt to compensate by overachieving in certain subsets of reality yet never feeling content with my progress....with that said, I realized I disdain most literature because the author is merely superfluously masturbating with words when the point the he is attempting to convey could easily be articulated with less than a page.
>>
>>7669740
re first 2: how'd you manage that? are you hot?
>>
File: 1428031646096.jpg (186 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1428031646096.jpg
186 KB, 680x510
>>7669743
>I've been on a bit of /lit/ reading binge because I have a staggering inferiority complex due to not having a father growing up and thus attempt to compensate by overachieving in certain subsets of reality yet never feeling content with my progress....with that said, I realized I disdain most literature because the author is merely superfluously masturbating with words when the point the he is attempting to convey could easily be articulated with less than a page
Are you me?

>tfw will never go to other places in the universe
>>
File: 1452144021910.jpg (160 KB, 404x404) Image search: [Google]
1452144021910.jpg
160 KB, 404x404
>>7669744
Yes. My looks came to me after a long time of being ugly and shat upon by dumb, entitled bitches. The resentment and the hate that I built up against women was suddenly given full room to do as it wished once I realized my looks gave me power over them. It's not hard if you look pretty or exotic enough.

But I digress. No matter who I fucked, no matter whose heart I broke, no matter whose home I wrecked, I never felt complete, and now I have to live with the spiritual and emotional consequences.

Never again. Pray for me bros. I have a lot of atoning to do.
>>
>>7669761
>But I digress. No matter who I fucked, no matter whose heart I broke, no matter whose home I wrecked, I never felt complete, and now I have to live with the spiritual and emotional consequences.

yeah it's fucked up, man. i've slept with a few married women and there's absolutely nothing fulfilling there. fucking women you have no emotional attachment to in general leaves me feeling more empty than anything, and engendering an emotional attachment to a woman who has shown a propensity for infidelity is a foolish decision.
>>
>>7669762
It's doubly awful. We've sinned against the men in those relationships, and we've sinned against our own flesh.

Why didn't I listen to my dad? He's been right about everything
>>
>>7669740
>>7669761
Forgiveness starts from within. Own what you did, but dont fall into self-hatred. Take your situation as now having direct knowledge of why its said to never be a liar, cheat and adulterer. Grow from it.

And ditch the alcohol, it's only making the process more difficult and grueling.
>>
I drink too much and play too many games to read most of the time. I prefer formal class-based study than independent study of literature, I prefer its pacing. I'll probably have to quit drinking (as often) when I start university again in the fall. Boasting is absolutely childish.

I'm married to a girl over a decade younger than myself. I carved a marble bust of her last year.
>>7663596
My wife is diagnosed with ADD and reads more than you, while managing to practice dance.

Also: some of us have other things to do than read and work. I write more than I read
>>
>>7663838
he probably dictates it to a voice to text thing like i do
>>
>>7670150
Yeap, it's surprising how many people think that everyone on the internet can read and write.

There are many tools for blind people too that are actually very easy to use for someone who can see, but not read.
>>
>>7670384
most people are literate, anon
i dictate my shitposts because i love the sound of my own voice
>>
>>7663596
People count the number of books they read? Why?
>>
>>7665269
>educated discussions about poetry and philosophy

No they aren't. Your not missing shit, nothing is wrong here, read what you like.
>>
>>7667513
>>7667513
I think I get what you are saying here, but it's difficult to see beyond our own sense experience into the past, and even into the greatest minds of the past, without referring to the written word. If, like you say, all words become meaningless through time, what the hell are we doing here M8?
>>
>>7669342
You seem to be judging their claims based on their factual existence, which you can't really be blamed too badly for; but in science the question of who is right and who is wrong comes after the questions explaining why they are right or wrong. The pre socratics and Plato mark a shift in man's consciousness away from the superstition of oracles, omens and priesthoods towards a natural and self contained explanation of the universe. This in itself was a huge leap forward and one worthy of our sincere homage.
>>
>>7667769
>>7669365
>>7670518
>>7670565
/lit/ is surprisingly cogent today. I'm glad that most of us can tell that, while Plato's views don't really jive with our modernist perspectives, his work is of undeniably paramount importance to Western thought.

The quote is a little kitschy, but the point still stands - most Western philosophy either attempts to support or tear down Plato.

What's more, I think his writing is beautiful. It has the quality of Gospel, where you can return to it however many times you like and still gain something out of it. However, I digress.
>>
>>7671501
I think the problem with Plato is with Rationalist tendencies, not necessarily modernist.
>>
>>7665870

I can do about 25-30 in an hour. Life is a fucking struggle.
>>
>>7663595
This is a bad point. I prefer video games but I also like books and reading, so I browse this board and also other boards relevant to my interests.
>>
> I started reading Gravity's Rainbow this week. I've realised this is just a /lit/ meme - this book is garbage
> I also started Ubik recently as well.
REAL SPOILER I'm at the bit where Runciter has been killed. But seriously telepath, psychic abilities and talking to the dead. And the way they dress. Wow such edgy in the future it's just garbage.

> I'm struggling to branch out into new stuff and honestly /lit/ isn't fucking helping me. You're all elitist pricks who talk about the same four books over and over

And Harry Potter is a good series
>>
File: The Long Walk.jpg (144 KB, 745x1208) Image search: [Google]
The Long Walk.jpg
144 KB, 745x1208
>I have read one Stephen King book
>I consider him my favourite author because it was so fucking amazing
>pic related
>>
>>7671617
how are you struggling to branch out?
give me an example of your attempts to branch out
>>
>>7671657

Gravitys Rainbow
Moby Dick
Ubik

I love reading but I'm struggling to find new stuff. The last stuff I really enjoyed was Joe Abercrombie. Easy reading I guess but I would like something more challenging really. Something to expand the mind
>>
>>7671682
There is a difference between being a fantasy only reader and having problems finding stuff to read.
>>
>>7671695

I do tend to stick to fantasy and sci-fi. I can't help it, it's what I enjoy.

Help me
>>
>>7671710
Literature isn't about instant gratification.
>>
>>7671710
Two things: (a) discipline, you are not going to enjoy it sometimes but you have to force yourself to finish it; and (b) start with the Greeks.
>>
>>7664305
>>I'm an academic failure.
this should be on my tombstone
>>
>>7671577
Fair enough. I think that goes without saying.
>>
File: 1454759855103.jpg (340 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
1454759855103.jpg
340 KB, 1200x900
>>7671856
Write it on a piece of paper and stick it on the end of your bed; you're already dead inside anyway.
>>
>>7663574
I skipped, 15 seconds by 15 seconds, something around 30 minutes of your pic related movie, kek
>>
>>7672211
Her feet would be great if they were a bit longer.
>>
I can't finish 1984. I've tried may times. I tried reading it, I tried audiobook I tried to read it as a pdf on my phone. I can't do it. I'll have to watch the movie. I can read, a lot, but I can't finish this book. It's not even long or heavy it's not even Orwell's writings I quite enjoy it but I just can't.
>>
>>7672316
To be fair to you, 1984 is incredibly dated and myopic. The only reason it's called an "essential" is because it's been in every single high school curriculum since the early 90's, and it's the only worthwhile book the majority of young adults have read in their lives.

Don't bother with it; read BNW instead.
>>
>>7672350
Thanks you.
Now that one I got though
>>
>>7663596
seventy-five books.

That's more than 2 books a week.

Unless reading is your job, I call bullshit.
>>
>>7663600
omg don't judge me anon
>>
>>7672435
wow you're retarded LOL
>>
>>7664383
I have a friend and he's "read" more books than me, there is translations of popular books to braille.

Don't forget there is also audio books, he said he often falls in love with female voices if they're good because they also croke up at tearful chapters, he says there is much emotion in their voice rather than a monotone robot text-to-speech audio.

It's comforting to know it's not the end but if I became blind I'd miss too much and would just neck myself.
Thread replies: 155
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.