[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck it, there's no archive What's the best McCarthy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 580x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 580x317
Fuck it, there's no archive

What's the best McCarthy after Blood Meridian, Suttree and Child of God?

Did he really go to shit recently like Pynchon and Dellilo
>>
and talking about Delillo, is cosmopolis really that bad?
>>
>>7662708
How could he have gone to shit if he was already shit from the start?
>>
No Country For Old Men
>>
>>7662725
Worst McCarthy desu, though it's still good.
>>7662708
Try the border trilogy.
>>
>>7662708
>Did he really go to shit recently like Pynchon and Dellilo
kill yourself, bro
>>
>>7663481
this
All the Pretty Horses (1st in the trilogy) is great
>>
i enjoyed outer dark and the sunset limited,
i liked the first two books in the border trilogy but wasn't all that into cities of the plain. i found it disappointing and the start of his jumped up screenplay phase/decline
>>
Why does /lit/ either dislike or dismiss The Road? It's pretty great. Can't really see why someone would rate Child of God ahead of it tbphwy
>>
>>7662708
are Sutree and CoG better than his border trilogy? I've read BM, the Road and NCFOM
>>
>>7663674
They are, in my opinion.

Though I'm of the opinion that his post-Blood Meridian work goes from mixed to awful.
>>
>>7663630
A lot of the kind of readers who are attracted to 4chan and /lit/ are young men who want to prove themselves. They tend to attempt this by taking on convoluted fiction.

The Road is a simple and emotionally impactful story about stuff that self-absorbed young men may have a hard time identifying with.
>>
>>7662714

Cosmopolis and The Body Artist are better than Mao II and Libra
>>
>>7663534
Convince me why it was good, F a m, I didn't really like it. I thought it was really underwhelming.
>>
>>7662708
Certified Hack.
>>
Child of God is the weakest book IMHO but not as bad as City of thr Plains. But otherwise he kills it
>>
>>7662708
>go to shit recently
>recently
He's a hack who has always been shit
>>
>>7663755
These kinds of psychological explanations whereby you condense lit into a person and then probe their motivations isn't helpful. For example.

This is the kind of poster than needs to feel superior to others on the board and so takes a stance of puffed up emotional maturity. He achieves this by pretended sincerity by ready short, easy works of simple prose.

All you have done is made a strawman. Their may be people like that on lit but to roll everyone on this board who doesn't like The Road into a bunch of wannabe hipsters is every bit as self-absorbed as what you are critiquing.
>>
>>7663534
Boring as fuq senpai. Dropped. The crossing tho..
>>
>>7663481
>>7663534
Yep.
>>
The Crossing, second from Border Trilogy.
>>
>>7662708
he went to shit but even his shittest is still better than any of pynchon
>>
The Road does deserve respect despite its pleb following. It does a real good job of maintaining its aesthetic completely on every page. No Country was fucking weak.
>>
File: 1418007592818.jpg (38 KB, 396x385) Image search: [Google]
1418007592818.jpg
38 KB, 396x385
>>7664086
>>7664162
As it stands on its own it's a romantically idealized Western adventure story told with McCarthy's top tier prose, what's not to love?

The novel is made more significant by its location within the trilogy. It serves as a romantic beginning to what is essentially an allegorical re-telling of the death of American romanticism. This is why by the time you reach Cities of The Plain (slightly unrelated but, if it wasn't obvious by the twin protagonists, it also serves as a dialectic conclusion to the first two works) starry eyed teenage love affairs are replaced by epileptic prostitutes and escaping the high adventure of the frontier with a few scrapes becomes Death.

All The Pretty Horses is endearing because it's essentially one of the greatest living American prose artists giving us his vision of the naive optimism that so encapsulated 19/20th century America through nostalgic emanations of the collective idealism that can now only be reached via Ennio Morricone soundtracks.

Read as these two competing narratives: a straightforward romantic western and an almost Hegellian account of the progression of the American soul, the trilogy serves equally as McCarthy's most accessible and his most ambitious work (except for maybe Blood Meridian)
>>
>>7663790
Impossible, because Libra is the best thing Delillo wrote.
>>
>>7665035

>historical fiction
>good

choose one
>>
File: 1453433454757.jpg (43 KB, 382x463) Image search: [Google]
1453433454757.jpg
43 KB, 382x463
>>7664159
>>7663755

This is why I love /lit/, it's hilarious that this actual banter
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.