[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Dos Passos
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: John_dos_Passos.jpg (15 KB, 228x348) Image search: [Google]
John_dos_Passos.jpg
15 KB, 228x348
General Dos Passos thread--

I've read Manhattan Transfer and am reading his letter and travel writings published by Library of America. Would like to discuss
>>
>>7662675
INTERVIEWER

Do you enjoy writing?

DOS PASSOS

That depends. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I don't.
>>
>>7662675
anyone?

I think his character portraits are some of the best I have ever read, in Manhattan Transfer. Has anyone here read his USA Trilogy?
>>
>>7664549
>Has anyone here read his USA Trilogy?
Yeah, quite original structure (with the News Reels and Camera Eyes), interposed with the more traditional narrative. Thematically a little weak, yet not unintersting. He makes it work despite that and that attests to his quality as a writer, if not much of a thinker. Would read more from him despite not really considering him good. Slightly enjoyable, though part of that may, admittedly, be merely because he doesn't sound like your other "American Greats" like that Steinbeck faggot, i.e. his worldview doesn't sound like garbage-man trite small talk. His subtle humour is a nice addition also.
>>
I really admire the chapter where the German immigrant shaves his beard because of the Gillette ad. I enjoyed the book as a whole, but that's the part that has really stuck in my memory.
>>
>>7662745
Dumb questions get dumb answers
>>
If you liked the Manhattan Transfer you should check out the USA trilogy. I read the first book a while ago and it was pretty good. Not quite as good as TMT though.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.