[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I NEED TO BE SCARED
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: ratkidmeeting.jpg (29 KB, 455x339) Image search: [Google]
ratkidmeeting.jpg
29 KB, 455x339
Hi /lit/ I'm sick of short horror stories that all seem to blend together after awhile.
I want primal fear. monsters but nothing too scifi and definitely no Lovecraft I've worn that out unfortunately
>>
sit still in silence with your eyes closed
>>
>>7662543
I already go to bed early to be alone with my thoughts I'm looking for actual suggestions on stories to read
>>
>>7662548
horror is pretty pleb

you might like 1408, by stevie king
>>
>>7662508
My diary 2b honest
>>
The Yellow Wallpaper was kind of creepy. It didn't make an impact on me at first but when I was having bad anxiety a few years later, I randomly thought of the story and it made me kind of uneasy.

The Turn of the Screw spooked me when I read it while I was extremely sleep deprived.

Ignore anyone who says House of Leaves. It's the gayest shit that I've ever read and there's basically 0 horror in it apart from the narrator going crazy, which isn't scary anyway. The entire book is just a metaphor for a vagina and it sucked.
>>
>>7662609
Pleb
>>
I'm interested in this as well. I haven't had a book scare me in years. I want some horror folks and not gore shit but pure psychological horror.

No King, I've read all of his good stuff already.
>>
>>7662609
>I was extremely sleep deprived

Just do this OP. After 72+ hours up go watch some weird surreal horror movie in the dead of night.
You'll be terrified, especially since you'll probably be experiencing auditory hallucinates as well.
>>
>>7662663

Can confirm. after 36 hours+ without sleep I start to see very strange things at night. After two days I start hearing things.
>>
>>7662680
How do you see shit before you hear shit? When I was in college, I took such a huge course load that I had to pull all nighters every single week. I would have auditory hallucinations way before visual shit.

The only visual hallucinations I had were people at the very edge of my peripheral vision or people standing amongst the trees on the side of the road while I was driving.
>>
>>7662663
>>7662680
Why not just do drugs if you really wanna hallucinate?
>>
>>7662685
I have, but it is not the same. I once stayed up for over 96 hours with the help of amphetamines.
The hallucinations I had on the last day were crazier than any LSD trip I've ever had.

It basically felt like I was in a dream. Weird stuff was happening all round but it didn't even bother me. I also was barely eating which was also probably contributed to the experience.
I honestly can't even put to words a lot of the stuff. There were numbers and ideas floating around and also were derivatives (in the calculus way) of the "characters."
>>
>>7662684

>How do you see shit before you hear shit?

Not sure. I've driven sleep deprived 3 times (I no longer do this as I've read that it's worse than be intoxicated) and I always see really fucked up shit.

Last time I did it I saw a gigantic aircraft carrier in the center of a highway dripping blood. Another time I saw a man in a suit and tie 100ft away from me waving with a ray of light on him. I slowed down to 5 mph (it was on an empty highway at 3am) and he went away.

I can't warn anyone enough not drive after going 16 hours without sleep. It's worse than being durnk.

>>7662685

I don't become sleep deprived because I want to hallucinate. I'm either sleep deprived because I cannot sleep due to anxiety or because of my work load.
>>
>>7662609
You're wrong m8. You haven't been all that sleep deprived if House of Leaves didn't scare you. Even without the Minotaur scenes the idea of being stuck in the dark at the bottom of that stair case was enough to make me want to throw up.

Most people I know have had some pretty bad nightmares after reading Dorian Gray before going to sleep. It'd try that OP.
>>
John Dies at the End, a horror comedy book, was the last thing that I read that actually creeped me out. Wouldn't say scared though, I can't remember the last time a book or movie or anything made me feel actual fear. Maybe I'm broken but knowing it isn't real makes it feel more like entertainment than anything else.

If you want real fear go walk through a low income neighborhood or swim in open water or something.
>>
>>7662756
The descriptions of the house comprise like 2% of the book and the rest is just Johnny Truant or whatever becoming schizophrenic and fantasizing about a hooker with a bunny tattoo.

Even if you focus on the house sections, they weren't scary. The house was clearly a metaphor for the wife's vagina and the primary focus was on the rift between the man and his wife. His children are autistic weirdos, clearly products of the fucked up house/vagina that has become cold and dark because his wife is a fucking prude who won't put out anymore.

No amount of sleep deprivation could make that book scary. I seriously have no idea how anyone could interpret that book as a horror story and create horror video games based on it. The staircase was barely even mentioned.
>>
File: buffoonery.jpg (83 KB, 560x541) Image search: [Google]
buffoonery.jpg
83 KB, 560x541
>>7662786
>The house was clearly a metaphor for the wife's vagina
>>
drr drr drr
>>
Give Thomas Ligotti a try.
>>
>>7662771
David wong is kinda okay. I like that his villains are basically 4chan. But the humor either falls flat or detracts from any horror when it is funny.
>>
>>7662684
You just see shit
I stayed up for 4 days and never heard anything, but whenever I'd look over at a car or something I'd see people in the cars or walking around, then after a few seconds they'd fade away or I'd look back and they were gone
It was always the same person, a woman with dirt blonde hair, in a 70's style wearing a reddish skirt, blouse combination
Kind of like the wife on Mad Men
>>
>>7663709
Junji Ito is sooooo good, holy shit. OP, read Ukumaki
>>
Herse of Lerves
>>
>>7662564

Great story. Horrible movie.
>>
I recently checked out The Imago Sequence, by Laird Barron. There are some genuine creepers in it, worth reading.
>>
File: cutie.jpg (16 KB, 205x216) Image search: [Google]
cutie.jpg
16 KB, 205x216
Yeah OP I used to like being scared back in the day
What I did always involved LSD to fuel the fear
So, LSD+
>being alone in the dark
>watching a scary movie at the theater
>go to the amuzement park
>get lost, visit unknown places
>being in a dark room with white noise
>>
Priest's story in Hyperion is pretty fucking creepy.
>>
>>7665363
Don't do any of these things
>>
>>7662508
>I want primal fear

Go into the woods at night, alone

Then you will taste primal fear.

If you get lost, then you will have a passing acquaintance with it.

And then, when you are lost, if you are unfortunate enough to be FOUND, then you will find what you so foolishly sought, the horror, and the grim mundanity of its source.
>>
>>7662508
You can try an old creepypasta site I used to be on. It's called SCP database, takes the character of a secret government program that houses supernatural objects to Secure, Contain and Protect.

I think SCP 086 is the scariest.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.