[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some of the lesser known writings of the Greek mythological
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 9200000034756301.jpg (73 KB, 550x833) Image search: [Google]
9200000034756301.jpg
73 KB, 550x833
What are some of the lesser known writings of the Greek mythological canon that you enjoy? The Seven Against Thebes/Epigoni together once you have the full tapestry of the story conceptualized with detail in your mind creates one of the most poignant stories in the full saga of myths. Tydeus and Diomedes are nearly as good of a distant father and son story as Odysseus and Telemachus
>>
>>7662470
Is Alcestes often read in classics programs?
>>
>>7663937
nope not much at all. i'm studying classics at oxford and we probably have the largest classics department in the world. out of the 100 or so options we can do for our final exams, not one of them includes Alcestis. there's lots of euripides in there but that play just doesn't ever seem to be studied in detail.
>>
File: 1438156334769.jpg (62 KB, 590x338) Image search: [Google]
1438156334769.jpg
62 KB, 590x338
This thread again? Why such a hard on for Aeschylus? Why make several identical threads about this one particular play? Be honest, is this the only thing you've ever read?
>>
File: Euripedes I.jpg (10 KB, 181x279) Image search: [Google]
Euripedes I.jpg
10 KB, 181x279
>>7663947
I ran across it described as a reference for scenes from Much Ado About Nothing and A Winter's Tale. It's the first play on the cover of Euripedes I (UChicago).
>>
>>7663950
To have only read Aeschylus. What a good life that would be.
>>
>>7663950
I honestly didn't know it was posted that often
>>
>>7663950
Aeschylus is the finest and most primal of the Greek tragedians. Sophocles is also fine but he deviates and opens the door for the tired motivations and arguments of Euripides. For every other great artist in the history of the theatre, there is some kindred soul whose work echoes his partner's. As great as Shakespeare is, you can sense similar greatness in Marlowe. But there is no echo of Aeschylus. No peer or comrade. He stands alone in the entire tradition by standing with the primordial Oneness of world-spirit.
>>
>>7662470
Pasephae and the Bull
>>
>>7666441
this
>>
>>7666441
Intriguing. What are Aeschlyus' unique qualities?
>>
>>7666892

interested too. i read him and the others ages ago, barely remember them.. i should read them again.

do go on a literary rant
>>
>>7668423
>>7666892
He obtained the greatest secrets of the Eleusinian Mysteries
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.