[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing Employment
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1
File: 7697585734_b5bb9ae640_z.jpg (171 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
7697585734_b5bb9ae640_z.jpg
171 KB, 640x640
How do you earn money as a writer? Curious if anyone here's had some success with publishing, freelance articles, etc...

The standards for op-ed pieces online at even the reputable news agencies don't look very high(other than political slant) and there's still the minefield of nepotism and politik to navigate when it comes to popular communities like the Hugos. Thoughts?

http://www.pw.org/literary_magazines
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/
http://www.everywritersresource.com/topliterarymagazines.html
>>
blogs
>>
I'm a writer but the ad agency kind, not the kind that scores you points in hipster coffee shops.

I did freelance journalism for a while. That's viable-ish but you often have to come up with ideas for stories yourself... It takes a sincere interest in the beat you're covering to succeed at it.

Fiction?

I dunno man.

I'm inclined to call that a pipe dream or close to it. It won't happen without spectacular effort at relatively low pay.

I've heard of people doing the magazine and content hustle, the pay seems to max out at about 30 grand a year and that's working crazy hours. I'd honestly try my hand at getting a blog going before I'd bother with that kind of grind.

Basically, you REALLY have to love it, because the money won't be there, at least not at first.
>>
>>7662405
>How do you earn money as a writer?
For the most part, you don't.

Literary magazines are a massive circlejerk so unless you have an MFA and know a lot of people involved with magazines, you shouldn't even consider that as a money-making option.
>>
>>7662695
Scoring points in hipster coffee joints is hardly anyone's idea of a goal I'd think, even here. It's more respectable working for an ad agency, I had one employer suggest an analyst position for those with polysci/mil experience. The pay isn't fantastic however, true.

>>7662705
I'd avoid magazines entirely unless its submitting occasional work to journals as a way to get your name out.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.