[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good intro to philosophy book? I'm currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 1454632766842.jpg (44 KB, 600x614) Image search: [Google]
1454632766842.jpg
44 KB, 600x614
What's a good intro to philosophy book?

I'm currently reading Questions that Matter by Ed. L. Miller, but I was wondering if there was something better out there.
>>
I know it's a bit of a meme, but when it comes to philosophy, you really oughta start with the motherfuckin' Greeks, senpai.
>>
There's a few Complete Plato out there online, you have to start there, it's the basis. Then you can start and build column and maybe a roof if you're bold enough.
>>
>>7661967
anything by zizek
>>
>>7661971
I have that textbook.
The first few chapters are on the Greeks, though it doesn't really go in-depth. I'd imagine that further study is needed, if OP doesn't have a professor.
>>
>>7661967
The Story of Philosophy by Bryan Magee is good.
>>
who is this semen demon
>>
>>7662134
How does it compare to the Will Durant book?

>>7662157
me
>>
>>7662157
angie varona

she has no nudes, don't bother
>>
>>7662169
The Durant book is alright, it's more historical than philosophical.

OP, you can try reading Bertrand Russell's Problems of Philosophy
>>
Sophie's World
>>
Is it worth having a crack at Russell's History of Western Philosophy? Thing is a bloody tome, I'm not too keen on his style and I have been told he skips over or berates folk he does not like.
>>
I want to start with the Greeks, but right now I'm primarily interested in Stoicism, and was curious if reading the Meditations by Marcus Aurelius would be fine for a first timer, or would it require more context?
>>
A History of Philosophy (Volumes 1-9,11) by Frederick Copleston

http://www66.zippyshare.com/v/YJgpVF6E/file.html
>>
>>7661967
just poke around here until you come across a thinker that interests you. pick up one of their books at random. try to read it; fail. then, go to the library and start reading all the secondary material you can find on the guy. then try and read it again. philosophy works in a strange way in that when you have a very strong understanding of one guy, it becomes exponentially easier to work out what others are saying. i'm not saying kant becomes easier for having read nietzsche, or whatever; only that the first guy you try and get into will be immensely difficult, because of your lack of familiarity with basic philosophical contents. but once you learn the language you can start to break in.
>>
>>7662315
Amen
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.