[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you deal with writer's block?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: 1453304424802.jpg (61 KB, 736x881) Image search: [Google]
1453304424802.jpg
61 KB, 736x881
How do you deal with writer's block?
>>
>>7661707
I beat up SJWs
>>
I have many projects going on at the same time so that if I get writer's block, I can switch projects until my inspiration returns.
>>
>>7661707
Write more. Describe an empty scene vividly until a character appears. That's all you need

Oh sorry did you want a magic bullet? Take meth man you'll be SUCH a better writer you don't have to solve your own problems lol
>>
>>7661707
Writer blocks don't exist. The euphoric scrabblings people write in the moments of inspiration are 90% shitty. You have to push yourself.
>>
>>7661707
I fuck your mum and then cum over her tits, faggot
>>
>>7661707
I forgot that was even a thing. Either you write or you dont. Look up resources to help improve technique and read other works as well.

I notice the big source of "writers block" comes from frustration with where the story is going, which boils down to the writer needing to re-evaluate his approach.
>>
When I dont write I translate. When I dont translate I write. Its a creative exercise to try to fit another writer in both your language and your own terms

But if youre monolingual, sucks to be you.

I guess read Tv Tropes or some shit like that.
>>
>>7662001

Are you German by any chance?
>>
>>7662656
Azn master race
>>
I have been chasing a thought for the last week in my unconsciousness while i sleep. It has something to do with my protagonist in a screenplay i'm writing. Last night i nearly had it. When i woke up it was on the tip of my tongue, yet i lost it when my mind was occupied by an urgent need of urinating.
I can't write without that insight of that character; it's his being and essence in one sentence i can't consciously form. It's like chasing your own shadow.
>>
>>7661713
This T.B.H(tm).
>>
>>7662001
Great choice. You translate poetry or prose?
>>
I'm not going to claim to be any sort of intellectual here but you should never have writer's block if you're really a writer. Writing words on paper/your computer is not hard and it is certainly not about inspiration. Just LITERALLY write words that form sentences.
>>
>>7663984
Try not to cut yourself on that edge and enjoy writing shitty, driveling word-vomit.
>>
>>7661707

attempt to think of new ideas to write about, and then starting adding detail to a plot/synposis/anything relevant to it as to what you feel the story will be about,

maybe you'll learn something by working on another idea anon after you took a week focusing on other ideas it could grant you a different perspective you weren't able to conceive/acknowledge before due to a pretense you were held back by (intentionally or a stygma you just held due to a lacking awareness.) Focusing solely on one thing will ruin you and muster any natural progress you could have with your book if you aren't working on multiple ideas, othewise you'll find that what you present is trash instead of electing to take time to carefully think of each aspect that goes into the story you're attempting to tell.

so, yeah - don't focus all your attention on just one idea or you'll become burnt out. also you'll become diluted/ hold a perception unwittingly that allows your novel to evolve to a better place THAT IF you had been working on other stories/ideas on the side may of became more aware of/ thought a different way.
>>
I can only write based on fits of inspiration. Otherwise everything slows down and becomes an impenetrable sludge. I carry a notepad and pen with me everywhere, so that when I have one of those moments where I "remember" why that story I got halfway through writing was actually amazing (i.e., the original impulse of "WOW THAT'S A FUCKING INTERESTING PERSPECTIVE ON _______ I WANT TO TELL PEOPLE ABOUT THIS" actually resurfaces in my mind after being buried), I can immediately apply it to the story. Take the flashes of inspiration and immediately work them out, dredge as many chunks of them out of your unconscious before it closes up again, and then go spot-weld them to the story. Later, in hindsight, you can edit the whole thing and tidy out all the rough edges.

There are a lot of major authors and philosophers who wrote aphoristically, or who wrote their essays in "chunks" like this. I think I once read it of Emerson, that if you study his notebooks and journals, they are basically a series of brilliant little nodes of inspiration that he then arranged together to form cogent essays.
>>
>>7662662
Manlet master race.
>>
>>7661707
You have to understand yourself better. The source of writer's block is exclusively unique to the individual. You need to understand what motivates you, what interests you, what you find profound and you need to be keen of the situations that arise in your life that cause you to hit a metaphorical wall. There isn't one solution, as if that was the case, the human condition wouldn't be so hard of a puzzle to solve. Just engage in serious introspection and pay attention to what stimulates you and what doesn't.

People can offer you any amount of arbitrary exercises but it's unlikely their method will serve you beyond being food for thought.
>>
>>7664260
>I can only write based on fits of inspiration
are you me anon?
I'm suffering from this and it's killing me and my writing. Why can't I write when I don't feel it?
>>
I listen to old negro religious field recordings of gospel and spirituals
>>
A combinational singularium of Nick Land, DeviantArt, drum and bass, and a capacious enumeration of caffeine.
>>
>>7665346
bump pls
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.