[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
There was no reason A Scanner Darkly had to be science fiction.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: scanner-darkly-cover.png (88 KB, 360x582) Image search: [Google]
scanner-darkly-cover.png
88 KB, 360x582
There was no reason A Scanner Darkly had to be science fiction. It could have been set in contemporary times with contemporary technology.
>>
>>7661658
To attract nerds and losers
>>
...did you even read the book?
>>
Sci-fi is more interesting than cultural wankery
>>
>>7661658
Not really. Maybe with the internet, but not at his time, no.
>>
>>7661684
This desu.
>>
>>7661658
W H A T I S T H I S FRESH H E L L
>>
At least it had a happy ending famfam
>>
>>7661658
Wait what, it had suits that camouflaged people's appearence.

But yeah that was about the extent of the science fiction.
>>
>>7661658
Dick literally said that the only reason ASD had a sci-fi setting was because he was afraid that it wouldn't sell without one.
>>
>>7661896
>Makeup, disguises, and anonymity hadn't been invented by the 1970s.
>>
File: 2016.png (96 KB, 360x582) Image search: [Google]
2016.png
96 KB, 360x582
>>7661658
>>
File: dick.jpg (206 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
dick.jpg
206 KB, 1050x526
people who love the Dick
>>
>>7661950
He was right. No one at the time would give a shit about his mediocre prose if it wasn't for the sci-fi label. His writing itself is absolutely atrocious. It's the ideas people wank to, and most if not all of them have been done better by others in a non sci-fi context.
>>
>>7662533
His writing is mediocre, not atrocious.
>and most if not all of them have been done better by others in a non sci-fi context.
Before Dick? Please do mention a couple
>>
>>7661658
>could have been set in contemporary times with contemporary technology.

it was
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.