[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. Couple of weeks ago my girlfriend left me. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: Oldmanfeels.jpg (59 KB, 747x599) Image search: [Google]
Oldmanfeels.jpg
59 KB, 747x599
Hey /lit/. Couple of weeks ago my girlfriend left me. I'm not taking it so well. Went to the doctor's and was diagnosed with Major Depression. Are there any books that you have found that have helped you through a similar situation? Or even a book that has brightened your outlook on life? I'm not a seasoned reader and I have very little sense of direction when it comes to choosing books. Help me /lit/, you're my only hope. I don't know how to hold these feels.
>>
I was reading Catcher in the Rye when I broke up. It made me feel less lonely. It even cheered me up.
>>
First of all, don't let them poison you with meds unless you literally can't make it out of bed. Second, I recommend Notes from the Underground so you can feel like you have some company in your misery. Also, don't worry; time really will sweep the feelings away. Some things you just have to endure.
>>
>>7661222
Thank you anon. Will go to the used book store and buy it if I don't already have it.
>>
>>7661228
I hadn't made a decision yet, but you have convinced me not to go on meds. Thank you. You're response strangely means a lot to me.
I will check out Notes from the Underground also.
>>
This is probably the wrong board for this, but I can't watch the brother suffer.

1. As already written above, stay off the meds. They don't work like you think they work, and are a cure in the same way as an amputation is a cure for a rash on your arm. Furthermore, they do permanent damage to your brain and you develop a crippling addiction.
2. Battle it yourself. There is a cursed circle of pain: you tell your friends about your condition, they become alienated because they can't empathize, and you feel even worse as a result. This is a one-man war and it's possible to win.
3. WOrst thing about depression is when you don't understand its nature. A hidden enemy is much more formidabble. For starters, I'll recomend Book of Disquiet, an old /lit/ favorite. Perhaps you'll learn a few important lessons from it.
>>
read tao lin
read his stories during my breaks when I worked night shift at this horrible job for 12 hours.
wanted to kill myself after every shift. barely slept.
>>
>>7661101
>Sad for 2 weeks after a breakup
>MDD

plz fuck off.
>>
>>7661312
Why do you feel the need to come in here and bring negativity?
>>
>>7661344

bcuz ur the reason y people don't take mental illness seriously. also ur a fgt.
>>
>>7661404
All I am doing is asking for help. And being gay should have nothing to do with this. But thanks for the bait.
>>
>>7661258
Thank you anon. You sound very knowledgeable and I appreciate you sharing your wisdom.
>>
>>7661261
Thank you. Happy to hear you didn't an hero. Stay strong senpai.
>>
>>7661422
Suicide is the advice, what's not to get?
>>
>>7661432
But from whom is that advice? Weakness? Id rather listen to perseverance.
>>
>>7661424

Not that anon but they were all good points, I'd just add a recommendation of Epictetus to the mix. Basic self-governance and emotional reserve. It will definitely help more than hurt in a situation like yours. Give it a read.
>>
>>7661101
>Went to the doctor's and was diagnosed with Major Depression
is this a thing
>>
>>7661462
Am I supposed to diagnose my self?
>>7661457
>>"There is only one way to happiness and that is to cease worrying about things which are beyond the power of our will."
I like the guy already. Thank you anon.
>>
I don't know that literature should be used as a form of mental therapy. Read whatever you would like to read, read about something you want to know about.

I imagine different books will make people feel very different ways. If you know someone who you admire or someone who you think is similar to yourself, ask them for a book suggestion.

But also, don't ask 4chan for medical advice, listen to a therapist or doctor. PLEASE.
>>
Doctor, md here, so you can trust me.
I usually recommend the noose to patients in your situation
>>
File: 1450499306614.jpg (58 KB, 1417x1134) Image search: [Google]
1450499306614.jpg
58 KB, 1417x1134
>>7661432

I'm sorry to tell you this underage anon but Moot sold 4chan. The haet machine party has officially come and gone. Stop trying to hold onto the spirit of yesteryear you little dweeb fuck.
>>
>>7661261
fuck off fatherdubs. shouldn't have took OP's bait.
>>
/fit/ is usually the first stop for breakupfags, try there.
>>
Bumping with a question of my own. I don't think I'm quite depressed, I just can't seem to find the purpose in anything and it's quite disheartening. I'm struggling to exactly put my finger on the source of my struggle, I've achieved, I've got friends, etc etc... But I still feel so empty and purposeless inside. Any recommendations for literature on that or a similar topic?
>>
>>7662432
Take times like this as a chance to review what sort of things you've valued so far, what things you've been putting all your energy into. See if there's a different way you can approach things. Meditation should be able to help you too, get your mind clear and surface up new facets of thought. Hope this helps
>>
>>7661101
Try Dan Wakefield's Going All the Way. I think it might help you, anon.
>>
File: 1442724172977.jpg (198 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
1442724172977.jpg
198 KB, 1024x683
>>7662432
>>
>>7661101
thoughts on the bell jar, f a m?
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.