[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently: - Euclid - Elements - Charles Mackay - Extraordinary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
Currently:
- Euclid - Elements
- Charles Mackay - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
- Homer - Iliad

After:
- The Works of Archimedes translated by T.L. Heath
- Thorstein Veblen - The Theory of the Leisure Class
- Homer - Odyssey
- Nicolaus Copernicus - On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres
>>
Post what you're reading currently and after.
>>
Currently:
Gardener's Art through the Ages: A Global History
The Cossacks - Leo Tolstoy
Sophist - Plato

After Tolstoy and Plato:
Statesman - Plato
Ancient Rome - Baker
>>
>>7660428
In case you're not already doing it, make sure to read Homer all at once. Also I hope you enjoy Veblen; a cool book for sure.

>Currently
Appian
Roberts' "history of the world"
>Next
Sallust, Caesar, Dionysius
>>
Finished The Sicknes Unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard last night.

Currently:
Fulton J. Sheen - Peace of Soul
W.H. Lewis - The Splendid Century
David Howarth - 1066: The Year of Conquest

Next:
Erik Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddihn - Liberty or Equality
Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
David Irving - Trail of the Fox
St. Augustine - Confessions
>>
>>7660428
Don't listen to this cunt >>7660516
>Also I hope you enjoy Veblen; a cool book for sure.
Velben is a harder slog than any of the rest of those. It is a good book, but enjoyable it is not. It is dense and dry but don't give up on it. Prepare your rectum tho
>>
>>7660590
Catholic detected
>>
>>7660623
Your point being?
>>
>>7660625
No point
>>
>>7660625
Not the other guy. Since you've read Kierkegaard, St Ignatius Loyola might be up your street.
>>
Currently:
Texts of Early Greek Philosophy

Next:
Plato's Dialogues, not sure where to start yet.
>>
>>7660617
Veblen is harder than Archimedes and Copernicus?

What specifically makes Veblen so difficult? Is it mathematical at all, or just has very intricate terminology?
>>
>>7660697
Start with Euthyphro, then Apology, Crito, and Phaedo.

Alcibiades I is also a good starter.
>>
Currently:
The Odyssey
The Aesthetics of Architecture - Scruton
The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction - Benjamin

Next:
The Prose Edda
Theogony & Works and Days
Might make a start on Peter Wilson's The Holy Roman Empire
>>
>>7660813
Thanks.
>>
>>7660818
How's Scruton?
>>7660825
Look up Thrassylus' order.
>>
Currently:
The Master and Margarita
A Confederacy of Dunces

After:
Kafka on the Shore
Don Quixote
>>
>>7660428
Current:
>The Tunnel
>The Lime Twig
Next:
>Milkbottle H
>The Beetle Leg
Can't wait to read Gil Orlovitz.
>>
>>7660850
So far it's a touch on the technical side for me (only 25 pages in), but I suspect the second half will be much more what I was hoping for.
>>
>>7660697
Have you read the Republic?
>>
>>7660625
How is Fulton Sheen?
>>
>>7661104
Once, but I didn't have the background for it. I'm going to read again in the future.
>>
>>7660764
I'm the "cunt" from above (not sure why he said that). Veblen is not mathematical in the slightest. The other guy is right in saying that it's not an easy read, but that's mostly because it's dense and builds on itself and Veblen's invented terms and concepts. You should take notes as you read, because basically if you gloss over any section, the book will get more and more confusing as you continue.

It's far from impossible. Maybe not "fun," but rewarding and fulfilling. I'm happy to have read it.
>>
>>7660865
I just finished M&M. If you're not familiar with post revolution Russian history, make sure to read the annotations, at least after you've finished the book.
>>
>>7661145
Background? What background are people making you think you need to read The Republic?
>>
>>7660764
He's harder because of his writing style. He was writing when dense academic styles of the Victorians etc were popular, and the book is dense even for that standard. Archimedes and Coperniucs aren't as fusty.

Follow this cunt's advice >>7661196 cunt is my new terms of endearment and address Copernicus and Archimedes have moments when you'll understand them in excerpts or just with basic knowledge of math. They're not the same beast as Velben where "wtf are you even saying to me" will probably happen to you a few times.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.