[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
the comedy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3
File: comedy-poster-sundance-2.jpg (195 KB, 847x1041) Image search: [Google]
comedy-poster-sundance-2.jpg
195 KB, 847x1041
books similar to this movie, only just getting into reading and have read all of camus and i few others with similar 'existentialist' themes but none with character like this film. oblomov looks like it might be somewhat similar?
>>
Catcher in the Rye is actually pretty similar.
>>
>>7660183
It's really not.

Some books that fit:

1. Tao Lin: Taipei
2. Zachary German: Eat When You Feel Sad
3. Michel Houellebecq: Whatever
>>
File: 1442978781181.jpg (3 MB, 3200x4136) Image search: [Google]
1442978781181.jpg
3 MB, 3200x4136
How to b**b the US government by MDE/Sam Hyde
>>
not a book but if you liked the comedy you should definitely watch 'Entertainment'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RqjuT3bHEs
>>
>>7660190
>1. Tao Lin: Taipei

This, and also two of Lin's biggest influences, Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami and Less Than Zero by BEE. I haven't read them myself but I get the impression that Jay McInerney and Douglas Coupland may also be relevant.
>>
>>7660332
seen it senpai. rick alverson is shaping up to be probably my favourite director as he's now made 3 masterpieces. if u haven't already seen them i'd recommend his first two: last Jerusalem and the builder. the builder is clearly his worst but still very good
>>
>>7660199
Why do people still post this autistic shit
>>
holy shit
i mean i liked this film an awful lot, but enough with the 'WHAT'S A BOOK LIKE THIS FILM' questions already
also the answer is actually DFW in this case
>>
The answer is The Recognitions. Both are satyre of different forms of pretention. Both are funny because hipsters (abd their late 1940s equivalent) are retardes pieces of shit.
>>
>>7660177

dangling man by saul bellow
>>
>>7661035
I'm kinda new to this board, like i said i'm just trying to read more. didn't know these types of threads were common
>>
>>7660177
Is this movie any good? A lot of people say it goes too overboard with the grotesque themes, but I'm not sure if that's just a regular gut reaction or if the film is genuinely bad.
>>
>>7661128
complete masterpiece if you ask me. very divisive tho, a lot of tim and eric fans went to see it thinking it would be a tim and eric-esque film and were very very disappointed
>>
>>7660190
>>7660358
>>7661056
cool thanks guys, gonna order three books:
>dangling man
>almost transparent blue
>Taipei
tried to find eat when you feel sad but the only uk copies are like £20
>>
>>7661156
Where in the UK are you?

An early (poorer) version of Eat When You Feel Sad is available for free online: http://www.bearparade.com/eatwhenyoufeelsad/

The book is longer and the prose is tightened up to a near-autismal minimalism. I find Zachary German very interesting and I think he could have been as good if not better than Tao if he hadn't spent his time bumming around and doing a radio show.

This documentary about Zachary is similar to The Comedy in a way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ppm8__FxZ4o
>>
>>7661128
I avoided it at first because it seemed like a Gilifanakis-esque bro comedy, but really it really left an impression on me. It reminded me in some ways of Linklater's "Slackers" in its willingness to include scenes that are rather slow and which don't appear to make any real effort to entertain the viewer. But the image it presents of a sort of bloated, apathetic guy whose materially comfortable life has led him to become detached from the world and other people and or only ever ironically invested in it, mainly through edgy humour or the callous pursuit of his own occasional passions. It's shocking in a way that is very casual, which is great since that type of shock caused (for me at least) genuine disgust and self-analysis. Many people walked out of the first screening, which can only be a good sign. I really do recommend it.
>>
>>7661176
yeh, good move not to order the book, reading it, it is interesting, but not something I'd particularly enjoy. thanks for both links, shitty youth seems very good tho
>>
>>7660177
Death on the Installment Plan is maybe somewhat similar in its worldview. I can't remember the film that well.
>>
>>7661128
it's a very good film about rich privileged people having spiritually empty unfulfilling lives and becoming vaguely aware of it and experiencing residual existential dread as a result, but not to the point of doing anything about it, because they're so crippled with pride and ennui
in that sense it's a worthy successor of antonioni, although without the floating camerawork and modernist architecture
>>
>>7660332
>>7660980
>>7661147
>>7661210
>>7661272

Turkington Adult Swim shills please leave /lit/ for good.
>>
>>7660177
Try reading Ulysses, but imagine Buck Mulligan is the protagonist.
>>
The best scene in that movie is when the protagonist is flirting with the girl. I thought that part was brilliant. Overall I loved the premise but found the execution lacking. A failure overall, but an interesting and ambitious one.
>>
>>7661589
Why, because /pol/?
I need to try that technique sometime
>>
>>7661297
he's in the movie for about 2 minutes. no shilling here
>>
>>7660177

That movie is so fucking terrible. Some DFW shit prob.
>>
File: 1422798489196.jpg (491 KB, 1276x1306) Image search: [Google]
1422798489196.jpg
491 KB, 1276x1306
>>7660199
>Don't talk to a real girl; you'll probably be charged with assault
But that's true, or at the least you'll be ostracized in your entire city like this guy.

Women are not worth spending time on.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.