[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/. I was wondering if any of you had recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
Hey /lit/. I was wondering if any of you had recommendations for a general overview of our solar system. Specifically aimed towards adults with a good understanding of physics and astronomy.

Any recommendations that pertain to a specific body within our solar system may also go here.
>>
I recommend >>>/sci/
>>
>>7659865
Start with the Babylonians.
>>
>>7659865
A truck is driving at 8 meters per second in a circle that has a radius of 20 meters. What is its inward acceleration?
>>
File: kek.png (77 KB, 1497x564) Image search: [Google]
kek.png
77 KB, 1497x564
>>7659865

Hello OP; planet autist since boyhood, here. First since you're insisting on a book, I will mention "The Solar System" by Bill Yenne (or anything by him, he's generally good for this), a book I've had and looked at periodically for over 20 years.

However, for simple non-fiction reading for pleasure about the solar system, I honestly just recommend wiki or whatever NASA/ESA/other official site you want. Let me articulate why.

From a "book fetish" point of view, I've gotta tell you that the solar system isn't quite so amenable to books as other /sci/ subjects, IMO. What I mean by this is that other areas of science often have a more interesting (human) history, and multiple real, significant discoveries were made hundreds of years ago, apart from finding uranus and neptune, say. That is, until today when we're finding many more objects. Astronomy isn't like math where you can just go back and read Euclid and it still pretty much holds up (which it does, in math's case), or even anything more directly related to human experience. It's much more like anything to do with computers and IT, where the conventions and information are changing rapidly (Oh, there's classic texts, but you wouldn't buy a ten year old book to study for a tech certification, say).

Furthermore, since study of the solar system is currently exploding, it just plain makes a lot more sense to stay current via the internet, rather than get some book that will be out of date this time next year.

Since we're on this, I wanted to brush up on Muh Solar System recently, and came up with this autism. pic related.
>>
>>7659865
>>>/wikipedia/
>>
>>7659996
What indeed, anon, what indeed.
>>
>>7659996
3.2 m/s^2
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.