[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
resuming with the romans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1417286650538.jpg (2 MB, 1798x1057) Image search: [Google]
1417286650538.jpg
2 MB, 1798x1057
we all know start with the greeks, but what about the romans? I am trying to create a reading list both for future students, and myself as I go on. so far I have:

epic poetry
ovids metamorphosis
the aeneid

philosophy:
Epictetus discourses fragments handbook
meditations
letters from a stoic
dialogues and essays Seneca
basic works of Cicero
on the nature of the universe

history:
Plutarch's lives
the gallic war
the civil war

drama
the golden ass
(I don't really know any others)

what else to add?
>>
I sure hope you plan to read them in latin, right?
>>
>>7659259
I actually am trying to learn Latin so not right away but maybe at some point
>>
>>7659259
LMAOAOAO

>>7659242
Add:

The Heroides, and The Georgics

The Annals, Histories, Agricola, and Germanica - Tacitus
The Histories - Polybius
The Histories - Livy
Lives of the Caesars - Suetonius
The Caitiline Conspiracy - Sallust

Tragedies - Seneca
The Satyricon - Petronius
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_literature
>>
>>7659278
Great additions.

OP check out the loeb classical library wiki page for a full list of classical greek and roman texts. Not a bad list so far, but add what this anon just suggested. If your only history is Plutarch and Caesar you aren't going to know dick.

Also you may want to check out Cicero. Stuff like "on the republic," "on the gods," "on living well." The more popluar writings will be offered by oxford and penguin.

And in case you enjoy epic poems, Rome actually has lots more than just the Aeneid. I haven't read them yet, but maybe look into Lucan's Civil War, Statius' Thebaid, Silius Italicus' Punica, and (I think Nonnius?) Dionysiaca. There are other minor ones as well, in case you get the desire for more.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.