[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
READING READING & READING
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: Lenin (2).jpg (79 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Lenin (2).jpg
79 KB, 400x400
What is /lit/ reading these days?
>>
not that hideous Russian shit.
I've been really into language learning the last few months, and I'm just starting to read "more difficult" children's books in the languages I'm studying.
>>
>>7658975

Power to you. I keep trying to read Harry Potter and losing confidence after too many uses of the dictionary per sentence. I am pretty sure I know the first page verbatim by this point.
>>
A Canticle for Leibowtiz

I hated it at first but it's growing on me. The prose in the first chapter or so is ridiculously overdone but it's getting better.

Other than that, I'm trying to get into Romantic poetry, so I'm reading some Byron and Keats.
>>
>>7659005
What language are you giving HP a go in?
>>
>>7659021
Lithuanian
>>
File: 41EKBu2itvL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (24 KB, 202x312) Image search: [Google]
41EKBu2itvL._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
24 KB, 202x312
>>7659005
On a similar note, can anyone recommend/not recommend pic related? Working through wheelocks now and my Grammer is improving but every time I try to read something I crash and burn. Also thinking about lingua latina per se illustrata. Thoughts?
>>
Henry James
>>
>>7658967
Some of the dialogues of Plato.
>>
Dialectic of Enlightment from Adorno and Horkheimer. Pretty good
>>
Currently Reading:

- Goethe - Faust, trans. Walter Arndt
- Goethe - Faust, trans. Stuart Atkins
- Goethe - Faust, trans. Walter Kaufmann
After:
- Goethe - Faust, trans. David Luke
- Goethe - Faust, trans. George Madison Priest
- Goethe - Faust, trans. Martin Greenberg
>>
Currently:
- Euclid - Elements
- Charles Mackay - Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds
- Homer - Iliad

After:
- The Works of Archimedes translated by T.L. Heath
- Thorstein Veblen - The Theory of the Leisure Class
- Homer - Odyssey
- Nicolaus Copernicus - On the Revolutions of the Celestial Spheres
>>
>>7659051
Okay but have you read Faust?
>>
>>7659051
>not german
why bother
>>
Glory and loveliness have passed away;
For if we wander out in early morn,
No wreathed incense do we see upborne
Into the east, to meet the smiling day:
No crowd of nymphs soft voic’d and young, and gay,
In woven baskets bringing ears of corn,
Roses, and pinks, and violets, to adorn
The shrine of Flora in her early May.
But there are left delights as high as these,
And I shall ever bless my destiny,
That in a time, when under pleasant trees
Pan is no longer sought, I feel a free
A leafy luxury, seeing I could please
With these poor offerings, a man like thee.
>>
currently: Aladdin's Lamp: How Greek Science Came to Europe Through the Islamic World

after: Stefan Zweig - Die Welt von gestern

or somth. by Shakespeare
>>
>>7658967
Infinite Jest
Lolita
And Ocean Sea
>also hypersphere if you want to be completely accurate
>>
>>7659021

Bloody German. A language that looks this similar to English should not be so bloody awful to cram in to my head.
>>
>>7659097
Same here mate. What are you having trouble with?
>>
>>7659108

Bloody everything, holding in the vocab, forcing myself to speak to the locals in German when they speak perfect English, bloody cases, who needs that many words for bloody "the"?

Really I need to just read more grammar and get a better schedule going for studying, instead of stare at books for a bit, waste forever on duolingo and then listen to Michel Thomas until his voice makes me crawl up in a ball.
>>
lenin and the revolutionary party
combridge companion to plato
hegel myths and legends
>>
>>7659095
Ocean Sea is fantastic
>>
>>7659121
how do you say 'bloody' in German?
>>
>>7659027
It's pretty good. Pyroballista. Lel
>>
>>7659569
Die bloddyzurukhegenmachtagenagenwalt
>>
>>7659051
For what purpose
>>
Later Political writings by Marx
>>
>>7658967
The Tunnel and The Lime Twig.
>>
>>7659681
I finished both of these a few weeks ago, great books. If you haven't read On Being Blue by Gass, it's worth reading. It'll only take an hour or so to finish and he talks about The Lime Twig in it.
>>
File: 45974.jpg (36 KB, 267x400) Image search: [Google]
45974.jpg
36 KB, 267x400
>>7658967
trying to work my way through Pessoa. Can't say I'm doing well.
>>
>>7659689
Thanks, anon. I plan on reading everything by Gass, but I'll definitely check that out sooner than later. Do you have ANY favorite parts from either books?
>>
File: dd.jpg (82 KB, 731x1039) Image search: [Google]
dd.jpg
82 KB, 731x1039
I am having a rough time since I skipped learning how to build logical sentences
All A is B etc
I will come back to it, but for the moment I decided to read about Aristotle, the founder of logics.
>>
File: 28568.jpg (100 KB, 525x765) Image search: [Google]
28568.jpg
100 KB, 525x765
Its exactly what you would expect from a "travel" biography. The prose isnt life changing but the little insights and jokes he provides into the life of a Provencal village leaves with me with a smile on my face, even if it is a bit romanticized
>>
>>7658967
Junger's Storm of Steel, Mishima's Sun and Steel, and a book of Rudyard Kipling's poetry. All of them are bretty gud.
>>
>>7659565
It's not
>>
>>7658967

This 5.
>>
Gogol - Dead Souls

fantastic book. Striking satire, well written and really funny.
>>
>>7658967
Just finished Typhoon by Conrad, interesting artistically in that the prose was confused and mashed up like you were in a storm but I didnt like it much.

Currently reading:

One Soldier's War In Chechnya by Arkady Babchenko

The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L'Ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution by C.L.R. James

The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolaño

Taking suggestions
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.