[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the second part of Dracula the worst half of a novel ever?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: don draper.jpg (63 KB, 399x382) Image search: [Google]
don draper.jpg
63 KB, 399x382
Is the second part of Dracula the worst half of a novel ever?
>>
>yes
>>
Is the second part of Nostromo the best half of a novel ever?
>>
>oh man i bet this book is great and all of these characters are gunna be great but i seriously can't finish
Glad to know I didn't miss out much by quitting
>>
>>7658514
>tfw 250 pages in and can't finish the final 150

What a shame, I loved the first 100 something pages
>>
>>7658391
>>7658392
>>7658484
>>7658488
What?
>>
>>7658391
Y E S
>>
>>7658540
YES
>>
>>7658391

>Is the second part of the Bible the worst half of a novel ever?
>>
>>7658391
Is this a meme I've missed? I've read Dracula twice (once on a fucking cellphone) and found it quite engaging all the way through.
>>
>>7659693
Because no one cares about the wacky adventures of the perfect housewife featuring guest appearances by Dracula
>>
>>7659695
The second half is a bit of Mina and Lucy bonding, then a lot of repeated attacks by Dracula on the seaside town, followed by the move to London and Lucy's turning. They hunt Lucy down and follow Dracula all the way back to Transylvania.
I fail to see how this is 'wacky adventures of the perfect housewife' considering Van Helsing and the two other guys play just as big a role.
>>
File: 71QaUVy1PsL.jpg (214 KB, 855x1200) Image search: [Google]
71QaUVy1PsL.jpg
214 KB, 855x1200
haven't read Dracula, but this book has the most noticeable second half drop I have ever seen in literature. Perhaps its because I read the unedited version but from him escaping onward felt like some fan fiction attempting to finish the actual book. That said it was still okay (6/10)
>>
> a book often considered a classic of gothic literature
> most people in this thread say it's shit

Why is this? Is the book just outdated? Is it that people expected one thing and were disappointed with what the novel was actually like? Is it just seen as middle-of-the-road in comparison to its gothic literature descendants?
>>
>>7658391
The staking scene was alright. Nice dick symbolism.
>>
I liked it. It's fine the way it is.
>>
I'm happy that many other people agreed that Dracula dropped the ball hard in the second half. I though in the beginning that this novel would be one of my favorites. But continuing on, it kept on introducing these weird boring characters. I though the asylum direction was pretty good though. I stopped reading when the gang goes and visits a church and finds nothing there. I also found the men overtly emotional, crying all the time. Also, what was up with the sudden moment when the Texan shoots a bat from the window, and turns out it was nothing? Was it suppose to be jittery?
>>
>>7658487
So fucking good.

The parallels between the colony's struggle and Nostromo's are fantastic.

I legitimately think that Nostromo is Conrad's strongest novel; it takes a more nuanced view of Heart of Darkness, which, as beautiful as it is, just sort of smacks you in the face over and over again with "colonialism is bad".

Sorry, got too excited seeing someone talk about Nostromo. Yeah, Dracula is disappointing as fuck
>>
>>7658391
yes I said yes I will Yes
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.