[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any books similar to the vibe of this movie? Also post a movie/album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: 1.jpg (21 KB, 284x405) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
21 KB, 284x405
Any books similar to the vibe of this movie?

Also post a movie/album and get a book recommendation.
>>
File: Ghost-In-The-Shell.jpg (233 KB, 736x1007) Image search: [Google]
Ghost-In-The-Shell.jpg
233 KB, 736x1007
>>7658210
Im here for recs.
>>
>>>/wsr/
>>
such a fantastic film I love it with all my heart and soul
>>
my livejournal in all honesty
>>
>>7658282
link
>>
>>7658210
His style is heavily influenced by Kurt Vonnegut.

Read Slaughterhouse 5, it has some striking similarities. The main one being a rather dull protagonist having fantastical experiences and barely being moved by it.
>>
>>7658210
My Winnipeg has a similar style.
>>
>>7658210
Did this book make anyone else bawl like a little girl? It's unusual that this is the only film to make me feel like that and it's only about an hour long.
>>
>>7659439
+1 for My Winnipeg

Similar vibe, but a much better movie. It's Such a Beautiful Day is like popcorn existentialism, My Winnipeg is like popcorn existence.
>>
>>7659881
*film, not book, duhhhhh
>>
>>7659881
>Did this book make anyone else bawl like a little girl?
no,no one else in the world except for you
>>
>>7660098
Not that anon, but everyone that I've ever showed this movie has cried. My girlfriend went into hysterics and was simultaneously grateful for watching it and furious that id shown it to her. It's certainly not a phenomenon special to that guy you responded to.

Books or short stories that I think may bare a little resemblance:

Rontel (for the protagonist's passive wonder at the world)

Kafka's short stories (for the choppy style occasionally interrupted by ominous descriptions of nature/the city)

Someone mentioned Slaughterhouse Five, which, while im not crazy about Vonnegut, fits the bill in the same way that Rontel does.

A Little Bit of Old Slap and Tickle - Hawkes (no idea why this came to mind but on further reflection the seemingly disjointed yet singular instances of memories/reality remind me of the end or the imaginative sequences in ISABD)

A couple of Barthelme's shorts also come to mind for the passive wonder at inconceivable circumstances
>>
>>7659439
>>7659887
Actual Winnipeg resident here. Is the movie just about being constantly cold and having to dodge natives downtown looking for change and smokes.
>>
>>7660146
do you understand sarcasm you retard
>>
>>7660165
Yeah I misread your post. Im hungover as fuck, cut me a break
>>
>>7660176
great blog. where can i subscribe?
>>
>>7660180
Cutting
>>
>>7659887
>My Winnipeg is like popcorn existence.
Good one anon.
>>
>>7660161
It's difficult to describe really. The narrator tells the story of his childhood, while recreating it with actors, and also tells the story of the Winnipeg he grew up in. But it's a pseudo-documentary filmed in the style of German Expressionism. A lot of fun, once you get into it.
>>
>>7660194
I'll check it out.
>>
>>7660198
No I won't.
>>
File: joan.jpg (196 KB, 1875x1367) Image search: [Google]
joan.jpg
196 KB, 1875x1367
>>7659439
>My Winnipeg
my nigga
What else should I check out by Guy Maddin?

Also, any book like this?
>>
This film doesn't, to my knowledge, have a Literary equivalent or even likeness merely because it's such an expression unique to the medium of film. This is, to me, a narrarive that, in what it evokes and accomplishes, can only be told through film
>>
>>7660337
His latest film looks interesting as fuck. Honestly I've seen about 7 of his films and the only disappointment was keyhole. His stuff from the 80s and 90s is damn great and underrated.
>>
>>7660329
I'm not you.
>>
Did any niggas here pick up a blu-ray from Don when they were going-going-gone on Kickstarter?
>>
File: 1437738462054.jpg (49 KB, 500x765) Image search: [Google]
1437738462054.jpg
49 KB, 500x765
Any books similar to the vibe of this film?
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-02-04-21h22m40s637.png (118 KB, 720x400) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-02-04-21h22m40s637.png
118 KB, 720x400
>>7658210
What's so great about this film? It's short, it has special significance with people struggling with mental problems I guess, but other than that, how is it better than everything else? The only impressive use of cinematography and literary narration I can remember from the film is pic related.
>>
>>7660550
The way the story is told fits with Bill's own actual symptoms of dementia/alzheimer's/paranoia.

Not all of his ancestors were hit by a train, but Bill is struggling to remember quite exactly how they would've died, and the death by train would've been the most prominent thought in his mind. The film is remnants of thought struggling to connect.

Plus, if that moment where he meets the father that doesn't recognise him, yet Bill forgives him or the ending where Bill outlives existence doesn't give you goosebumps, I don't know what will.

…Unless if your post meant more like "what's so great about this film? I shouldn't like it so much," then I can agree with you on that. didn't expect to get so much out of it myself either.
>>
>>7660550
It appeals to the emotions. Emotional stuff people like.
>>
>>7660561
I understand how its presentation parallels Bill's perspective, but, this is not the most authentic trick in the book. Moreover, it IS a trick in the book, it's in fact used a lot both in cinema and literature. Then, I guess it comes down to how this trick is done, and the vibe it generates, and as I said, I was impressed only once. As for the remainder of the movie, I was just following the ride without getting too bored (not a huge feat).

Neither of those scenes gave me goosebumps, sorry. To give you an idea what does, last time I remember being awestruck was the time I watched the last episode of Mawaru Penguindrum I think.

Anyway, I guess it's a better film than most, since it has a no bullshit attitude when it comes to dealing with issues like identity, consciousness, memory, life, emotions etc. You can't find that in many other similar works, they usually value characters, plot, sceneries, basically immersion too.
>>
>>7660568
Sorry, I didn't see your reply.

Well, I'm an emotional person, for one, I love Naruto and To the Moon. But at the same time, I'm a person who watched Requiem for a Dream unsuspectedly, praised it for a few of its cinematic and thematic merits and only later learned that many people consider it "depressing" and "emotional".
>>
>>7660613
unsuspectingly*
>>
>>7660613
My experience with that movie was pretty much the same. Also haven't ever considered any film/book/what have you as depressing, even the ones that 'resonate' emotionally with me.
>>
>>7660636
Now that I think about it, I guess I haven't found anything of fiction depressing either. The closest would probably be videos of deformed real life baby bodies, which for a short time "negatively agitated" me.
>>
Not entirely sure how I felt about this film. At times it was a beautiful insight into the nature of depression and listlessness, but at other times I thought the humour was weak and immature. Liked it overall though.
>>
>>7661529
>At times it was a beautiful insight into the nature of depression and listlessness
What the fuck are you talking about? The movie was an insight into mental illness; it had nothing to do with depression or listlessness.
>>
File: Ween.jpg (41 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Ween.jpg
41 KB, 500x500
>>
pseudo-profound bullshit? afraid not
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.