[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post relatable /lit/ humour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: image.png (4 MB, 2208x1242) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4 MB, 2208x1242
post relatable /lit/ humour
>>
http://youtu.be/mqWUGJ00Ha4
>>
The "DAVID FOSTER WALLACE!" guy, only I can't find him.
>>
the only booktervention i've heard of anyone having was when they didn't distribute the weight right and it caused/was going to cause structural damage
>>
>having pleb friends
>>
File: former child.jpg (26 KB, 564x365) Image search: [Google]
former child.jpg
26 KB, 564x365
>>7658043
>>
>>7658043
>>7658053
This channel is cancer. I want to kill myself after watching that video.
>>
i could understand if they were like, "you need to read shakespeare / the bible / joyce / etc. in order to become a better person." they would be regular ol' elitist intellectuals.

but these people want you to read YA fantasy books. they call themselves 'book nerds.' they act like their form of mindless entertainment is inherently better than the inevitable movie or tv or videogame adaptations of the exact fucking same books. what's to be gained? no prose, no subtext. it's just a children's fairy tale in hardcover.

"jessica snowdragon defeated the evil mean fire wizard once and for all. the people were free and crowned her the champion of feminism. she truly was the queen of nordlington."

OH, ART! you MUST read this!
>>
>>7658043

>bookshelves
>shelving books with covers facing out

do these people even read
>>
>>7658445
Incredible relief that someone else feels this way and can articulate it so adeptly
>>
i don't understand this one

http://youtu.be/j6XX_bZ2kyU
>>
>>7658445
this

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>7658706

Some people don't like the ruin the spines or the slip covers. Look at those faggots masturbating over covers in that other thread.
>>
>>7658339
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXvAd7COpJY&&user=grahammoney
>>
>>7658723

kek
>>
>>7658716
Buying ugly books is for poor people.

Not wanting to ruin the spine (aka read the book) is autistic though
>>
>>7658445
You really shouldn't insult children's fairy tales by comparing them to the YA trend. At least fables actually teach their readers something.
Seriously, where would we be if 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' hadn't taught us the valuable lesson of never telling the same lie twice?
>>
I hope ordinary people die
>>
>>7658763
Me too anon, me too
>>
>>7658749

Whatever floats your boat. I certainly wouldn't judge someone by their cover, though.
>>
>>7658053
Is YA fantasy the worst thing to ever happen to literature?
>>
>>7658043
Anyone know the guy on reddit whose every post was a long, unique paragraph about DFW?
>>
>>7658913
https://www.reddit.com/user/jeremy1122
>>
File: 1348951232052.jpg (58 KB, 385x383) Image search: [Google]
1348951232052.jpg
58 KB, 385x383
>>7658949
>Yes, yes, we all know Shakespeare's penchant for naming plays after minor characters, but did he ever write a play in which the main character was the reader himself? That's what David Foster Wallace achieved in his masterpiece Infinite Jest, my friend. Have you read it? I don't believe you have if you're still talking about Shakespeare. Of course you'll say, "But Wallace named his masterpiece AFTER a line from Hamlet! He's indebted to Shakespeare!" That's what it may seem like, but let's look closer. Infinite Jest is of course a novel, but it's also a parody of novels. By naming the novel Infinite Jest, he was mocking the novelistic convention of cribbing from Shakespeare for a fancy title. The Sound and the Fury. Brave New World. Pale Fire. Etc. Etc. Infinite Jest is simultaneously, therefore, the culmination of novel-writing, novel-writing brought to its conclusion, and also a parody of it and every genre except one: the posthumous novel. That Wallace achieved with The Pale King, which is of course a hilarious send-up of posthumously published work. No one's ever done that before, and most likely we won't see a writer attempt it again. As for Shakespeare, he was Wallace's plaything. In Infinite Jest he surpasses him in all things: intelligence, imagination, compassion, observation, wit, and so on. Of course, Wallace at five years old was enchanted with Shakespeare but outgrew him by age eight. It was at that age that he began to compose his own sonnets, lost today, but in the opinion of his parents (professors) and their co-academics they undoubtedly rivaled Shakespeare's and in a few instances he'd even surpassed the old bard. Of course, as we know from D.T. Max's biography (who will go down in history for being the first to write the Sorrowful Jester's life), Wallace at nine years destroyed all the poetry and prose he'd produced until that time in a temper tantrum that later on he admitted to be a parody of literary temper tantrums in which the writer destroys all his work. In this regard, the temper tantrum and its parodistic function is still being analyzed by scholars who are baffled by the complexity of its critique.

kek
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.