[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who wins? Which should you read first?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: JoyceUlysses2.png (1 MB, 1296x750) Image search: [Google]
JoyceUlysses2.png
1 MB, 1296x750
Who wins? Which should you read first?
>>
>>7656746
0/10
>>
Life is too short to bother with both of these shitty books.
>>
Read Infinite Jest first.

Ulyssess should only be read at the end of your life when you have dedicated your life to understanding and enjoying the western canon and reading 2-3 books a week.
>>
File: bok.png (710 KB, 1044x495) Image search: [Google]
bok.png
710 KB, 1044x495
>>7656746
Gravity's Rainbow wins.
>>
>>7656746
Like anyone would honestly pick IJ over Ulysses, come on.
>>
>>7656807
its 2016...
>>
>>7656807
>yfw you realize more people on this board have read IJ than ulysses
>>
>>7656810
That is fucking sad.
Can't wait for the next 10 years when it will be completely irrelevant in academia.
>>
>>7656810
I've read neither and I already feel better.
>>
>>7656824
you should read ulysses. it's quite good.
>>
>>7656849
I wasn't expecting a serious answer, thank you, but my literacy level won't suffice that venture.
>>
IJ is having more relevant themes for modern reader than Ulysses
>>
>>7656982
Modern times have not many relevant themes for the human condition, sadly.
>>
>>7656982
It really isn't.
>>
>>7656803
why are these three even compared
>>
File: James_Joyce_With_Eyepach.jpg (36 KB, 337x450) Image search: [Google]
James_Joyce_With_Eyepach.jpg
36 KB, 337x450
You know what I really don't like about my copy of Everyman's Library Ulysses? It's got one of the worst possible pictures of him for the cover. Why wouldn't they pick something like this, where he's got a nice mustache and an eye-patch?
>>
>>7659563
Why does Joyce always look like he's tensing up his upper lip?
>>
>>7656982
Confirmed for not having read Ulysses.
>>
>>7659576
Can't see it desu.
>>
>>7656746
What's the earliest generation before us that could understand Infinite Jest? If it was presented as a futuristic novel in the 60s, would anyone understand it, believe it, and like it?Do you think Joyce would have liked the book?
>>
>>7659612
I think he would have enjoyed it, but I don't know how seriously he would have taken it.
>>
I read IJ and liked it a lot. Could relate to it due to its modernity, and felt that lots of its themes are timeless. His views on addiction may make edgy liberals angry but he's right. Anybody who's delved into a drug or entertainment loses part of himself to it. And honestly, I'm saving Ulysses for when I'm far into the western canon. I read the first chapter and stopped bc I felt like I'd miss out on things. I'm sort of well read for the average population but not extremely. I'm only 20 years old and even though I was an avid reader in high school(the existentialists, good amount of surrealists, classics, dosto), I want to go over the Greeks and have been feeling a Catholic revival within me. I want to be able to tackle stuff like City of God. Then I'll take on Ulysses.
>>
>>7659624
This isn't the best attitude to have. You forget that literature is there to be enjoyed. You can always read Ulysses now and then read it again at a later age, allusions are so unimportant.
>>
>>7659629
I said that I read the first chapter, and while I enjoyed the plot(or the beginning of it), a ton went over my head and I didn't enjoy that. Maybe I'm not mature enough for it.
I see that there's talent in that book, but I'm not gonna force myself through a book I won't enjoy at the moment. Does that make sense?
>>
>>7659633
Okay, but I feel you may be a little insecure. I'd still recommend giving it a shot, you can't get anything in one read anyway. Keep at it though m8, you should definitely still read what you're planning to.
>>
>>7659639
I agree with you. It is a very daunting book, it did make me feel shaky about my ability. I'm currently reading V. and I'm loving it so far, halfway through.
I had no problem with IJ, only that it took me longer than I expected. Very fun read
>>
>>7659624
I read Ulysses, missed most of the allusions but its still a fantastic book. Then I re-read it after reading Joyce' earlier work, Homer, reference guides, Aristotle etc. and obviously it is far more satisfying and enjoyable to read now, but I wouldn't have had the motivation to do all that without the first reading. Just dive in mate. Also, don't worry about chapter 3, and definitely don't stop before chapter 4
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.