[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shout out to these for getting us all into reading the classics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 333x500
Shout out to these for getting us all into reading the classics.
>>
Oh, fuck yes. They had these in the dollar store, I must have got twenty Jules Verne and Robert Louis Stevensons.
>>
>>7654375
But... OP, they're... edited! Striped! Marrow drained!
>>
>>7654375
i had a copy of their Swiss Family Robinson. I loved that book.
>>
Journey to the Center of the Earth, White Fang, Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde, War of the Worlds, Treasure Island....Great Illustrated Classics made me a reader.

I recently went on Amazon and bought a bunch of them used for my nephew.
>>
I loved these when I was a kid.
>>
File: fucking hippies.png (162 KB, 647x926) Image search: [Google]
fucking hippies.png
162 KB, 647x926
holy shit, i just looked at the goodreads reviews of swiss family robinson, and it's a bunch of fuckin hippies!
>>
>>7654375
That War Of the Worlds one was my favorite
>>
>us
>>
>>7654643
reading others' opinions on books is just downright depressing for me nowadays, even on here, it's just sad. The only person to consult on lit is your self, truly.
>>
>>7654670
b-but that poor whale. you're so insensitive. these old books should be burned.
>>
>>7654643
That's real fuckin disgusting
>>
File: 1454137080272.jpg (170 KB, 635x648) Image search: [Google]
1454137080272.jpg
170 KB, 635x648
>>7654676
>>
>>7654633
how old is your nephew?

my brother is 11 and a complete degenerate who plays minecraft and agar all day

i want to give him all my old great illustrated classics to read but I can't convince him to actually read anything..

what do
>>
>>7654688
break his shit and force him to read it and go the fuck outside.
>>
>>7654692
>force him to read it
my mother has tried that before and he just sits in a corner and pretends to read out of spite

fucking dickhead lmao

i want to actually spark an interest in reading somehow because forcing him wont do anything
>>
>>7654688
>>7654692
This. Beat the 1st world out of him.
>>
>>7654696
>pretends to read out of spite
no, you don't understand. lock him alone for days without anything but a few books. and beat him if he tries to run away. he sounds like a little nitwit though. if you have any younger cousins, or people you can influence, help them get into books. fuck that little loser. he'll see what happens in his life when he's tasked with actual thinking and empathy and all he has to show for his life is a fucking pixelated diamond block statue of an asshole.
>>
So far I've read Moby Dick, Swiss Family Robinson, White Fang, Call of the Wild, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Robin Hood, Treasure Island, and Ivanhoe to my 5 year old. Rebuilding my library after my mother threw them all out.

>>7654696
Literally give him nothing to do but read and build with legos or some other productive shit. I let my kid use the Ipad or Leapfrog when she shits and about 1 hour a week otherwise. She spends more time doing crafts than reading admittedly, but at least she isnt watching Bratz or playing vidya.
>>
>>7654717
what? why would she throw away your library? fuck sake. i don't understand how people can't see the value of books. that's wonderful though, reading to your child is literally one of the best things you can do for them. opens the world to them. my ma didn't let me watch tv until i was like 10 or so, so I was well established as a reader by that time. it's essential to shelter the shit out of them from mainstream media until they've had some sort of thoughtful foundation instilled in them.
>>
>>7654733
>why would she throw away your library
I think its fucked up, but her mom became a hoarder and stopped throwing away paperbacks and it got disgusting, so she got rid of her whole library and my books that were left at her house. This from a woman that dreamed of building an addon to her house that was a library.

But yeah, it isnt a matter of taking away minecraft for a week and then getting lazy. You literally have to cut the cord with kids until they realize relative value of media, and can look at shit like E! and just shake their heads.
>>
>>7654745
huh. that is pretty weird, I guess it's just a matter of not being able to see the difference in literary rot like those dimestore housewife novels and actual worthwhile works. I used to go to the salvation army to give away clothes and raid their book selection, and I was always astounded to see row upon row upon row of absolutely worthless tripe, and I realized that people probably pick one of those books up and see that it's shit, and never see the other side of it all, never get lucky enough to have a parent that reads, or at least has been exposed to it. I realized they just see it like a pile of paper that doesnt have meaning in it, that it's just an ornament. I guess in a way it is though, but an ornament for your mind, something to occupy the home in your head.
>>
>>7654774
>but an ornament for your mind, something to occupy the home in your head
bunch of fucking clever bastards on this board, i'm liking it more by the minute
>>
>>7654688
Call him a faggot and say he'll be a retard for his whole life if he doesn't.
>>
fuck literature. minecraft is much better. #YOLO
>>
File: KAKOTRT.jpg (16 KB, 180x254) Image search: [Google]
KAKOTRT.jpg
16 KB, 180x254
>>
>>7654375

Definitely

I have about 10 of em. Where should I Donate/sell them to so that I know it goes to a kid who will actually read them and not to go rot in some university library
>>
>>7657083
Try selling them to a consignment store with a kid section.

I've found a lot of romance novels and random book titles in my local store. It has stuff like Oprah best sellers and Penguin classics.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.