[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do I never see /lit/ mention one of the most important books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: Gross, man.jpg (243 KB, 739x985) Image search: [Google]
Gross, man.jpg
243 KB, 739x985
Why do I never see /lit/ mention one of the most important books of the twentieth century? Do any of you actually read?
>>
>>7654020
I'm busy reading Hawkes, anon.
>>
>>7654031

Is Hawkes any good? I know he inspired Pynchon's work, but I'm just not exactly a fan of Pynchon. Is he in the same vein of writer?

Also, reading someone else still isn't an excuse not to get your hands on this fucking beauty.
>>
>>7654042
I like him. He is much, much more subtle than Pynchon, and his ideas are much better. In terms of style, he isn't as flashy, but I think it conveys and creates perfectly, and is able to make you very uncomfortable without being unbearably edgy like Pynchon.
>>
Back in 2011 that book reached near meme status

Everyone was reading it - if they could find a copy. It went out of print for a while before vintage released a red spine one somewhat later. I still haven't read it.
>>
>>7654115

At least if it was a meme-classic, people would actually attempt to read it. Instead this board spends the majority of its efforts on a vastly inferior Infinite Jest and posting pictures of DFW's contorted face from that one genuinely uncomfortable to watch interview.
>>
i liked everything flows ill read it at some point
>>
>>7654020
I enjoyed the war parts
The physicist and his family parts were meh.
>>
File: Grossman.jpg (15 KB, 270x400) Image search: [Google]
Grossman.jpg
15 KB, 270x400
>>7654188
>Not appreciating that the narrative of the family at whole is indicative of the flow of Russian history, and of all history itself: Of many, in constant flow, towards separate but interlocking paths
>Mfw
>>
>Life and Fate
>Crime and Punishment
>War and Peace

Enough
>>
>>7654208

I was hoping I was going to get your support for my next great novel, And and And, but...
>>
It's because translation is, for now, a word best avoided.
>>
>>7654253

Why is translation such a big fucking stinker on /lit/? Should I learn the language of the Mayans if I want to read the Popol Vuh?

Even so, have these people not considered that translation in its own right is an art form of some merit?
>>
>>7654278
I think the majority of the time people aren't even serious. Like the way people who haven't read "meme books" will go in and call them memes or shit. It's a dark age.
>>
>>7654286

It's honestly pretty pathetic, frankly. I'm fairly new to the board (I've been looking for someone to share literary interests with, because there aren't many avid readers amongst my immediate friendbase) and it's just a poor experience so far. I don't mind memes, but I get the real sense most posters here have no literary identity and are mostly here to shitpost about the same six or seven books.
>>
>>7654320
most people here don't read
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.