[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>reading J.G. Ballard story >random homo shit out of nowhere
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: hitchens.jpg (26 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
hitchens.jpg
26 KB, 460x276
>reading J.G. Ballard story
>random homo shit out of nowhere
>"I celebrated in his tight buttocks a new stylised form of violence"

every fucking time
>>
What is that, Crash?
>>
>>7651774
he literally just said it was a short story you stupid fucking retarded faggot piece of shit god damn
>>
>>7651801
It says "short story" nowhere, you dyslexic sack of shit.
>>
>>7651774
>a J.G. Ballard story
>gay sex
pick two

>>7651801
calm down shitlord, it was a general observation
>>
>>7651801
chill f a m.
>>
>>7651801

someone should celebrate in your buttocks desu
>>
hilarious
>>
File: berserk.jpg (69 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
berserk.jpg
69 KB, 1280x720
>>7651809
>>7651812
>>7651813
>>7651826
>HURRR DURRR DONT FUCKING CORRECT SOMEBODY FOR BEING FUCKING RETARDED ON A FUCKING LITERATURE BOARD

This is why this fucking board is going to shit. You faggots came here from r/books and tumblr and god knows where and get your fucking feelings hurt if someone calls you out on your intellectual desolation and thin skinned arbitrariness. You pixies are the reason books are just memes now. Seriously I saw a fucking thread the other day where Ready Player One AND The Martian were both PRAISED and everyone who didn't like them were called "Hurr durr elitists durrr hurr" Fuck you and fuck your shitty books and "muh feelings" post get the fuck off /lit/ and go back to beating each other off over John Green books idiot faggot retards
>>
>>7651770
>>7651812
>>7651861
But I'm the OP and I'm telling you that your correction was wrong.
>>
>>7651863
Then you're a stupid shit head who should go prolapse his ass and suck it like a cock faggot
>>
>>7651869
>>7651861

Come on dude just take a chill pill and enjoy the mellow vibes bro\

High Rise is pretty cool[/spoiler
>>
File: obama-tears-far11.png (198 KB, 517x382) Image search: [Google]
obama-tears-far11.png
198 KB, 517x382
>reading W.S. Burroughs story
>homo shit pauses out of nowhere
>"We decided to make an orgone accumulator and assemble it in the loft"

every fucking time
>>
>>7651881
>out of nowhere
No.
>>
>>7651883
maaan I just copypasted OP why you gotta be such a tweedytwaddler
>>
>>7651861
God, you elitist piece of shit. You are the reason this board has gone to shit and made books into memes and are too conceited and insecure to acknowledge that fact.
>>
>>7651770
Pretty good Ballardesque sentence, but I've never actually noticed homosex in his work except for Crash.

What's up with Ballard's style, anyway? It's kind of deliberately over-intellectual and sterile, but he combines that with characters who seem to have come out of B-movies in which scientists battle monsters of their own creation. Also the dialogue usually feels like it's not even trying to be realistic, kind of the equivalent of David Lynch's stilted, artificial-feeling scenes. Shit's very strange.
>>
>>7651900
>What's up with Ballard's style, anyway? It's kind of deliberately over-intellectual and sterile, but he combines that with characters who seem to have come out of B-movies in which scientists battle monsters of their own creation. Also the dialogue usually feels like it's not even trying to be realistic, kind of the equivalent of David Lynch's stilted, artificial-feeling scenes. Shit's very strange

Welcome to Postmodernism my friend. It's kind of an either you like it or you don't situation.
>>
>>7651900
The characters feel like mannequins that are only participating in the story because they have to. Their personalities are solely the output of the algorithms and technologies around them.

(I've only read Ballard's urban apocalypse-themed shit)
>>
File: Women-in-Love-Oliver-Reed-001.jpg (17 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
Women-in-Love-Oliver-Reed-001.jpg
17 KB, 460x276
>reading D.H Lawrence
>'So the two men entwined and wrestled with each other, working nearer and nearer. Both were white and clear, but Gerald flushed smart red where he was touched, and Birkin remained white and tense. He seemed to penetrate into Gerald's more solid, more diffuse bulk, to interfuse his body through the body of the other, as if to bring it subtly into subjection, always seizing with some rapid necromantic fore-knowledge every motion of the other flesh, converting and counteracting it, playing upon the limbs and trunk of Gerald like some hard wind. It was as if Birkin's whole physical intelligence interpenetrated into Gerald's body, as if his fine, sublimated energy entered into the flesh of the fuller man, like some potency, casting a fine net, a prison, through the muscles into the very depths of Gerald's physical being'

Whyboner.jpg
>>
>>7651861
I acknowledge your argument purely because of all those fucks. You are a wordsmith.
>>
>>7651861
Hint: shitting on other people's tastes does not make you smart or well-read. Please come back when you can act like an adult.
>>
>>7651861

>you pixies

Pardon me?
>>
>>7651861
OP literally didn't say short story, cockboy.
>>
Is The Drowned World worth a read or am I better off jumping straight into his more experimental stuff?
>>
>>7653497
i found it meh
read it if you're into sci fi dystopias i guess
>>
>>7653508
Right. I'm giving Ballard a chance because Tom McCarthy had high praise for him, but I wasn't sure whether he meant all of his work or just the more postmodern stuff.
>>
>>7651934
Where's this from.
>>
>>7651881
thanks for the laugh m8
>>
>>7653497
I read it and thought it was absolutely terrible. I'm not really into sic-fi, but that seemed like a book I would find interesting enough. I was wrong.
>>
>>7651861
>calls others thin skinned
>gets triggered when contradicted
>acts elitist
>posts le edgy weebserker man
>>
>>7653940
>he get the memed on
>>
>>7653497
Start off with his later stuff. The Drowned World is worth reading after you've developed a taste for Ballard to see him in early form, but I wouldn't advise anyone to start off with it.
>>
>>7651770
fuck i should read something from him, my ass clenched from that piece of prose. tho might just be cause im keeping a shit in atm.
>>
>>7654063
why are you keeping a shit, are you trying to shift your schedule? I find that unloading in the mornings is very worth it, would recommend
>>
>>7654045
where should one start then? I've only read The Atrocity Exhibition + once I started Crash but didn't finish it because the exams were coming. What should I pick up next?
>>
>>7653612
Women in Love.
>>
>>7651770
>reading san francisco writer
>not expecting homo shit
srsly anon?
>>
>>7653529
he wrote some okay novels, but imho his short stories (some of them he called 'condensed novels') are much better
>>
>>7651934
gross

thanks for reminding me that dh lawrence is a hack and i did good never buying his books
>>
>>7656191
Pleb alert
>>
File: 1454341797846.png (449 KB, 547x539) Image search: [Google]
1454341797846.png
449 KB, 547x539
>reading Moby Dick
>get to "A Squeeze of the Hand"
>>
>>7655815
u wot m8? Ballard lived in a little Britbong house in a little Britbong suburb.
>>
>>7656191
The Rainbow is fantastic.

>>7651770
In the Unlimited Dream Company, the MC nearly rapes a little girl after a traumatic event. Perversion is everywhere in his books.
>>
>read
>>
>>7655770
High-Rise
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.