[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Gimme the best translation of the Holy Koran (pbui)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1430408852251.jpg (106 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1430408852251.jpg
106 KB, 768x768
Gimme the best translation of the Holy Koran (pbui)
>>
>>7651281
owc bretty gud family
>>
>>7651281
It's utter trash. While a lot of great works came out of the islamic golden age, their holy book just aint that great.
>>
>>7651324
Wow that's pretty offensive, I hope Islamophobic opinions like that bar you from ever getting a job
>>
I heard Yusuf Ali is a good translation
>>
>>7651281

Hello anon. In any event, please do not convert to the false religion of Islam, and only read Islamic texts for whatever literary or historic merit they may have.

With that out of the way, I asked the same question some months ago and settled on getting an Abdullah Yusuf Ali English/Arabic parallel version, based upon the advice of other anons. This is easily had through various vendors. I think Ali also did an exegesis of his own, which is not to be confused with a secondary (more important) text that I reach out to anons about in my final paragraph below.

Eighty percent of a page is taken up by parallel Arabic, and extensive commentary, not unlike a blatt (page) of Talmud. The relevant English language content is in a little corner, which is to say that the thing is quite short-hence the various other paperback versions. Ali's English isn't too far removed from King James prose territory (or, say, the Book of Mormon for that matter), which can be nice insofar as it grounds an English reader in the territory of "OK this is Real Religion This is Srs Bsns".

The interesting thing about Islam is that it's young enough that it can "legitimately" be autistically authoritative about its original text - hence any non-arabic is categorically degenerate, the better because they presumably have better extant original shit to repair to.

I've been looking for the "hadith" in stores, but not hard. The secondary Islamic text.
>>
>>7651324
same with the bible. it's trash compared to the art it inspired. painting only desu
>>
>>7651497
Not OP but I hear many translations are toned down quite a bit for the violence of it. Would you say Ali translated it as faithfully as a proper translation can be?
>>
>>7651505
>have no knowledge
>post anyway
>>
>>7651555
>has no response
>posts anyways
>>
>>7651571
Respond to what? A shitty assertion that flies in the face of the opinions expressed by most major poets with a "desu" at the end?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.