[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I finished Mansfield Park today and it was a little shit. ¿The
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: 45032.jpg (76 KB, 308x475) Image search: [Google]
45032.jpg
76 KB, 308x475
I finished Mansfield Park today and it was a little shit. ¿The other books of Austen are worth read or them all are shit?
>>
>>7649687
All of them are shit.
>>
emma seems really neat to me, but my mom who is all-in on jane is mostly about pride and prejudice and sense and sensibility.

i've picked up mansfield park and persuasion at different times and i can only imagine i went the wrong way with austen at the start
>>
Forget Austen. Read Eliot.
>>
>>7649687
I only read Pride and Prejudice which was shit.
>>
>>7649687
Austen wrote nothing but hideously boring Victorian-era shite.
>>
>>7649783
read both but pay more attention to eliot
>>
The work of Jane Austen is a fascinating insight into the trivial mind of a woman
>>
Austen in the most important English novelist of the early 19th century, so it seems the problem is with you. Maybe you just can't appreciate literature like normal people?
>>
>>7649806
>>7649783
>>7649695
>This they know more than the master
>>
Mansfield Park isn't as good as her other novels.
>>
>>7649981
my girlfriend summarized it thus: "Will she marry her cousin?"
>>
>>7649687
I only read Emma and P&P. I think they're great, but you need to be into that kind of victorian literature to like them.

>>7649806
That opinion is a fine proof the general tendency of this place, every day more and more filled with ignorants.
>>
>>7649793

P&P is the only book where just the first sentence makes me want to drop it.
>>
>>7649687
Pride and Prejudice is pretty good
Northanger Abbey mocks Gothic romances and is pretty good but the ending seems a little corny to me
>>
>>7650078
It's meant to be corny, it's a social satire
>>
Austen's works are good examples of false classics. They are inoffensive, have decent but perfectly standard prose, feature a decent vocabulary, and deal with simple themes - perfect for school curricula. So people read them in school and think they must be some of the greatest works of all time, while they actually have little value outside of raising standardized testing scores. They aren't bad, but if you didn't like one, you aren't missing anything by not reading the rest.
>>
Austen is important for this reason: She pioneered free indirect discourse in literature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_indirect_speech

If you're reading Austen for the plot, maybe you should reconsider why you read in the first place. She is valuable because of her social critiques and her trailblazing method of narrative, not because of her immaculate plotlines.

>>7649695
>>7649783
>>7649793
>>7649806
>>7649832
>>7650442
These people know nothing about literature, but because they are so ignorant, they fail to realize it. Offer not curses but pity.
>>
>>7650442
she basically invented modern literature
>>
>>7650078
It's piss-taking it's intentional.
>>
>>7650064
I mean, come on. It very much works as a satire of the then-common viewpoint. Lose the histrionics
>>
>>7649833
>Dickens
>Hardy
>Stevenson
>>
>>7650719
Prove it.
>>
>>7650799
none of those people were writing at the same time as Austen
>>
Mansfield Park is prob her most mature work. It's obvious that you and the rest of the cretins on this board are too stupid to handle Austen. Stick to Pynchon and YA.
>>
She's good if you're looking for some heartwarming romance stories, with the odd moment of sterling prose. I'm afraid most of her critiques and satirizations go over my head, though.

>>7650706 gets it
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.