[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you guys think about sylvia plath? I never see her work
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 122x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 122x144
What do you guys think about sylvia plath? I never see her work discussed here
>>
She was a qt
The Bell Jar is ok but lots of people here will say it's shit because it's popular and women like it.
>>
not very good

her reputation is buoyed by subject matter (can't talk shit about depression!) and life (can't talk shit about suicide!)
>>
Daddy issues.
>>
very cute, very mediocre

I teach her in some of my high school classes and more than any other author I get young people telling me her writing really made them think about this or that.
>>
>>7649530
Yeah, she was cute.
And I think the bell jar was pretty good
>>
>>7649522
she was a qtpa2t for sure senpai
>>
>>7649558
Your teaching is equally mediocre as her skill as a poet
>>
>>7649522
Decent novelist, horrifically overrated poet.
>>
>>7649522
Never read anything by her. I briefly considered reading the bell jar but it just sounds so mediocre.
>>
>>7649558
well no shit
>>
>>7649522
She's on the better side of mediocre and overrated. She could string a sentence together, and write a decent poem, but she was shallow and only able to talk about one thing.

I have all her work, saying that, and would on a good day call myself a fan.
>>
Like most women artists or intellectuals who actually get noticed, 90% of her appeal is that she's attractive.

There are a lot of Sylvia Plaths out there who are relatively unnoticed because they aren't photogenic. A lot of Mira Gonzalez's who are too fat or dumpy in the face to be a Mira Gonzalez, a lot of Donna Tartts etc. Incidentally, all three of these figures are known or at least heavily rumoured (entirely in the mainstream) to have fucked their way to connections and success.

Be glad you're not a woman.
>>
You know those authors who you read and find yourself relating to them in a way you've never related to somebody? Those character descriptions you think are about you?

I have that with her work and it's quite worrying. I turn 27 this year so if I make it to 2017 I'm safe.

I feel like in my situation it's easy to confuse "relate to" with "consider to be good" (that goes for anybody with any author I suppose, but the fact she articulates thoughts and feelings I have or have had in ways I've never considered that has to be worth something.
>>
>>7649522
Fine writer.

The Bell Jar is a book I love, but I despise the following cult it has, mostly tumblrinas that identify with Plath. Sylvia was on psychiatric treatment for most of her life, she has on a psychiatric institution, she received electroshock treatment multiple times and often in a very painful way - then you have tumblrinas who feel sad because they're not popular at school or boys don't notice them or some highschoolish drama like that, and share Plath quotes with comments "this is totally me" "so relatable" etc.
>>
>>7649634
>Mira Gonzalez
She's already ugly as fuck.
She's famous because she fucked Tao and twitter.

>>7649634
>Donna Tartt
I don't know about her whole career, but The Secret History was a very decent book, I'd say among the best there is to see in genre fiction of the last decades.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.