[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Islam and the Future of Tolerance: A Dialogue
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2
What does /lit/ think about this book? Is it biased or worth reading?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_the_Future_of_Tolerance
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25151238-islam-and-the-future-of-tolerance
>>
I find it wierd how Sam sticks up for Islam whem he hates Christianity
>>
File: image.jpg (398 KB, 1242x1067) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
398 KB, 1242x1067
Read the Qu'ran instead if you want a clear understanding of Islam. It's only like 500 pages of instruction and prayer.

pic related
>>
As someone who is devoutly religious, I'm always suspicious of the liberal-bourgeois virtue of 'tolerance.' Why should I tolerate someone who is wrong, and wrong about such a fundamental thing?
>>
>>7648062
He doesn't stick up for Islam. He's cool with Nawaz because is a Neocon cuck like him. Read the book.
>>
>>7648062
>constantly advocates nuking the Middle East
>"sticks up for Islam"
>>
Harris is a fucking hack.
>>
>>7648070
Because no one wants to deal with other people's bigotry.
>>
>>7648070

Because your religious superstitions are entirely subjective.

We have to tolerate your views and the views of others because if we only tolerated your views it would unfair to the other fabulists.
>>
>>7648106
*tips fedora*
>>
>>7648069
>Read the Qu'ran
no thanks
>>
>>7648049
>>>/r/books/
>>
>>7648049
sam harris is a hack and a fraud and also literally /r/atheism
>>
Does anynone know any worthwile critical aproaches to islam besides this ?

It seems like i can't find anything between rightwing "sandpeople want to conquer us" and leftwing "muslims can't do anything wrong and everything bad is the fault of the West"

And i'm getting quite tired of both narratives
>>
>>7648599
Just give up man, what's the point?

I'm Muslim and I just couldn't be arsed anymore.

Just memorize a couple passages from the Quaran in Arabic in case you're in an ISIS hostage situation, reports from their mission in, what was it, a Nigerian(?) hotel recently said that they let people who could recite verses from the Quaran go.
>>
>>7648610
>Just memorize a couple passages from the Quaran in Arabic in case you're in an ISIS hostage situation, reports from their mission in, what was it, a Nigerian(?) hotel recently said that they let people who could recite verses from the Quaran go.

Woops, sorry, I'm only used to talking to people from my country about religion.

You guys should be pretty safe in 'Murica although what's the harm in doing this right?

Also, clarify that you're a "Sunni Muslim" if they ask.
>>
>>7648599
You do know that Islam has been trying to conquer Europe for over a thousand years...right? It's not a fascist meme.
>>
>>7648162
u got le rekt
>>
>>7648599
>critical approaches to Islam
It's called historical context. What defines "Islam" was a formative period of several hundred years, and past that sects, jurisprudence, etc. evolved with changing circumstances, some rising some falling. Quran is not even that important to be honest, just read some history.
>>
>>7648615
Christianity used to be doing the same. I just see all the shit hoing on in the middle east as the muslim version of the crusades. Eventually they'll tucker out and islam will become a religion that carries ideas of peace, not ideas of deus vulting the shit out of infidels
>>
>>7649265
However I could be horribly wrong and this is where the muslims peak at their level of peace
>>
>>7648614
Where are you from?
>>
>>7648291
>on /lit/
>refuses to read one of the most influential books in history
>>
>>7648614
>say you're a Sunni

No, say you're a Salafi. If you say you're Sunni they're just going to ask more questions to ascertain if you're their kind of Sunni. A favorite of theirs is "Where is Allah?" That's because mainstream Sunnis would answer "Allah exists without a place," which for Salafis is a head-chop worthy answer.
>>
>>7648049
No, but this is
http://edwardfeser.blogspot.hr/2016/01/islam-christianity-and-liberalism-again.html
>>
>>7649639
How would Salafis answer that question?
>>
>>7649651
"In heaven" or "upon his throne."
>>
>>7649653
Inderesting. Any idea on how a Twelver Shi'ite would answer that question?
>>
>>7649704
12ers would also say that Allah exists without a place. Basically anyone who isn't Salafi would answer that way. That's why identifying as Sunni isn't sufficient. ISIS has killed 300+ Sunni scholars for "having the wrong creed."

Also, odd as it sounds, don't praise Muhammad *too much*. Salafis see that as a sign of being a Sufi.
>>
>>7648106
See, that's YOUR perspective, you being a probably upper-middle-class bourgeois atheist.

From MY perspective, what is subjective to you is objective to me. From my perspective, my religion holds absolute truth and all others are falsehoods. It's not about being 'fair,' it's about promoting truth, at least to me. It's as stupid as news networks giving airtime to flat-earthers, from my perspective. It's not a matter of subjective superstition, it's a matter of absolute truth.

This is why I've started to think that 'freedom of religion' can only exist in an ultimately atheistic nation.
>>
>>7649802
Imagine living in a country where everyone shares your views on "freedom" except they have a different religion. It sucks right?
That's why we have freedom of religion.
>>
i'm from the south and i agree with hitchens in that religious pluralism? can only be achieved by a secular state... i also like that he's against abortion? i think. idk. i feel sorry for hitchens
>>
>>7649639
They won't believe you that you are salafi if you don't have a beard and wear a kaftan though
>>
>>7648086
>>constantly advocates nuking the Middle East
when will this meme end
>>
I could never trust a man that allows his beard to grow whilst shaving his moustache. That offends me as an Englishman.
>>
>>7649802
Why do you assume that the eradication of Freedom of Religion will result in your religion, or even it's major overarching "genre" of religion, being the one that's okay to practice?

For example, if you're a christian, why do you think that Christianity, or abraham religions in general, are going to be the ones that would be practiced in an area?

What if it suddenly becomes paganism, and Christianity is persecuted again? Stranger things have happened.

Do you still dislike freedom of religion now that the men in charge have deemed your perception of absolute truth to be wrong?
>>
>>7650689
One of Islam's earliest legal scholars, Imam Malik, said that shaving the moustache is bid'ah and the man who does so should be publicly whipped. He would've been very violent toward the Amish.
>>
>>7650665
When it stops being true.
>>
>>7650748
Oh? I thought Muslims had to. What is the actual rule then?
>>
>>7650754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7T7barZEeU
>>
>>7650755
The actual rule is to keep the moustache in a state where it doesn't grow too wildly over the lip. Basically, don't look like Nietzsche and you're fine. Look up Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi to see someone with a canonical sunni moustache/beard combo.
>>
>>7649802
>From MY perspective, what is subjective to you is objective to me.

>perspective
>objective

>Perspectivism (German: Perspektivismus) is the term coined by Friedrich Nietzsche in developing the philosophical view (touched upon as far back as Plato's rendition of Protagoras) that all ideations take place from particular perspectives. This means that there are many possible conceptual schemes, or perspectives in which judgment of truth or value can be made. This is often taken to imply that no way of seeing the world can be taken as definitively "true", but does not necessarily entail that all perspectives are equally valid.
>>
>>7648599
Well ones a narrative and the other is the truth
sandpeople do want to conquer us
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PfhbaSFQrg
>>7648610
Only brown people are given that chance in latest attack in Mali they specifically killed whitey
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.