[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm working on a novel (surprise, surprise), but don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: 1453189004428.gif (2 MB, 300x249) Image search: [Google]
1453189004428.gif
2 MB, 300x249
I'm working on a novel (surprise, surprise), but don't have any cred in the literary or publishing community. I do, however, have a few essays which I'm proud of, and figured I could use them as briefer introductions to my work and/or to build up a bit of credibility before releasing a full-length book.

What's the ideal avenue for this? Post the essays on Medium or my personal site? Send a bunch of inquiries with the essays attached to online magazines and hope that one actually reads them?

>inb4 no one will read your book and you'll die alone
>I already know that
>>
I really really like that gif
>>
>>7646898
i don't have any solutions for you but can i read your essays
>>
Put your essays on your blog, spam links on /lit/
>>
File: 1449867685015.gif (618 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1449867685015.gif
618 KB, 320x240
>>7647206
Perhaps after the book comes out, but spamming my own stuff feels out of character for an "anonymous" board, no? Unless it's a thinly veiled advertisement in a critique thread.
>>
Let us read some of your work mate. I don't think viraling it here would accomplish much since this is a pretty slow board
>>
Feel free to disregard my shitty advice, but I would try to get something published in a medium I didn't have a hand in. Writing a blog isn't going to get publishers to notice you unless it gets huge, which is honestly less likely as a publisher accepting your book cold.

Try for magazines. That's what I'm trying to do.
>>
File: 1454099853929.jpg (54 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
1454099853929.jpg
54 KB, 720x540
>>7647453
>Try for magazines.
I'd like to, but have no idea where to start. The only magazines I know of and respect are the ones I'd have next to no chance of getting into (New Yorker, et al). Is finding a less popular online mag that publishes new lit and essays worth it for the sake of credibility/stature? Is it a necessary step toward the big guns?

Also, what exactly are you trying to do with regard to magazines?
>>
>>7647416
Once I get closer to finishing I'll do that. There's a high enough percentage (double digits) of opinions on here that I respect, but I'm wary of overstaying my welcome by spamming. If I happen to garner any insights into the publishing world I'll be sure to pass them along.
>>
>>7647453
>>7647917
Bump. I'm also curious about what you're doing w/magazines.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.