[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>You know, I don’t want to be offensive. But ‘Infinite
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2
File: harold bloom.jpg (46 KB, 649x768) Image search: [Google]
harold bloom.jpg
46 KB, 649x768
>You know, I don’t want to be offensive. But ‘Infinite Jest’ is just awful. It seems ridiculous to have to say it. He can’t think, he can’t write. There’s no discernible talent.

>But Stephen King is Cervantes compared with David Foster Wallace. We have no standards left. Wallace seems to have been a very sincere and troubled person, but that doesn’t mean I have to endure reading him. I even resented the use of the term from Shakespeare, when Hamlet calls the king’s jester Yorick, ‘a fellow of infinite jest.'

What did he mean by this?
>>
Don't you know he changed his mind recently?

>I've been reading Infinite Jest all day, which has been totally enjoyable and I'm thinking about how easy it becomes to dehumanize the creator or fans of something extremely popular. I've done this, too. I made fun of Infinite Jest without even having read it. I'm sorry for that, and embarrased.
>When we make fun of Infinite Jest, we're ridiculing the enthusiasm people have for new sincerety. Have we nothing better to satirize? Yes, you can read no discernible talent into the writing, but tens of millions of people have also proven you don't HAVE to. Do we really believe that tens of millions of people who found themselves comforted and inspired by these stories are merely wrong? Isn't our disdain FAR more insincere than anything in the stories?
>Art that is entertaining and useful to people is a good thing to have in this world. And I'm grateful for it and celebrate it. So big ups to the Infinite Jest fandom, and to David Foster Wallace, who has been relentlessly attacked professionally and personally over Infinite Jest in ways that authors of bloated period pieces never are. I'm gonna go back to reading books now.
>>
File: SPK.jpg (112 KB, 706x674) Image search: [Google]
SPK.jpg
112 KB, 706x674
>>7646650
>>
>>7646650
>big ups

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7646650
Seriously, there is something catastrophically wrong with John Green.
Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.