[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best book you've read on World War 1/The Great War?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4
What is the best book you've read on World War 1/The Great War?
>>
>>7646179
goodbye to all that
>>
that one they assign freshmen year were the dudes all shit together
>>
But I have only read farewell to arms and western front all quiet etc.
I'm a pleb!
>>
Zweig's The World Of Yesterday has some cool WW1 parts (not about the war itself, but about the repercussions at home)

And of course, Storm Of Steel
>>
>>7646179
fear - gabriel chevllier
>>
Demian by Hermann Hesse
>>
>>>/his/
>>
journey to the end of the night - celine

one of the most hilarious books ive ever read
>>
if u want to know about ww1 u should read up about the balfour declaration and how woodrow wilson got suckered into sending american boys to die for zionism
>>
Storm of Steel
>>
>>7646179
All Quiet on the Western Front is one of my favorite novels of all time.
>>
>>7646267
Pretty much this. You might want to check out some books written in Eastern Europe, they are FAR different from the usual "war is hell" schtick, mainly because of historical circumstances (that region didn't suffer that much, if at all).
>>
Paul Fussell - The Great War and Modern Memory
>>
guns of august by Tuchman
>>
>>7646179
Three Day Road
>>
>>7646275

> Great War
> fought between Germans, English and French
> imagines it's all about the Americans who didn't enter until just before the end

MURRIKA
>>
>>7646179
guns of august
but granted i've read 3 books on the subject tops
>>
>>7648273
>""""""""""""Great"""""""""""" War
>it's just Europeans squabbling amongst themselves over inane irrelevant shit yet again
>American graciously sacrifices millions of souls to play daddy and end their idiotic argument
>they imagine that they did it all their own and get upset if Americans talk about it in their own media

YUROP

see also: WWII
>>
>>7646179
mussolini ww1 diaries are printed this year.

Since he's a journalist the prose is really good
>>
>>7646179

Myths and Legends of the First World War.

Really shows you the actual war, not the exaggerated horseshit that people picture it as today.

Average person's thoughts:

>sat around in my trench all day (on the frontline of course!) and watched the rats gnaw at my friends at all times
>well, that was when i could catch a break from the constant artillery
>did i mention i had trench foot? yeah, i have trench foot all the time
>and there's dead bodies everywhere. absolutely everywhere.
>oh no more shells
>hope we don't get charged today because that happens every hour on the hour
>more shells
>oh no gas!
>trench foot
>shells
>more shells
>no food send help eating rats eating friends maybe the rats were onto something here
>shells
>eating shells
>mixing artillery shells and cheese i have a new dish it's called macaroni and cheese
>>
Birdsong
>>
File: junger5[1].jpg (90 KB, 352x530) Image search: [Google]
junger5[1].jpg
90 KB, 352x530
>>7646761
Remarque was a pussy to be honest.

t. Jünger
>>
A good book about WW1 is not a shitty British propaganda book of how the Brits were the main Power to destroy the german
>>
>>7648770
How can one man be so based? Even when he was shot at the end he still refused to surrender
>>
>>7646179
"Le diable au corps" by Radiguet.
>>
>>7646179
Could someone upload Allen Frantzen's "Bloody Good", if you got it, pls thx family
>>
Just finished Johnny got his gun and All quiet on the western front

Where should I go now? Has anyone read Barthas?
>>
>>7648812
The Deluge by Adam Tooze
>>
>>7648557
But you get beautiful depictions of everyday trench life like what you described in actual literature as well?
>>
>>7646255
There's also Arnold Zweig (no relation) who wrote a six part cycle on WW1. His authorship was approved by the DDR I'm fairly certain, and some of his stuff might seem too overtly political by some, but I've read Education before Verdun and I didn't notice any unified agenda, instead it's just damn beautiful and damn sad.
>>
>>7648294
>millions of souls
>Mate US casualties were incredibly small compared to those suffered by Europeans nations
>>
>>7651921
Niiiice definitely picking up that one, cheers

For big-ass German memoirs you may also enjoy Victor Klemperer's diaries (or his Lingua Tertii Imperii if you speak/read German)
>>
>>7652012
Oh, and you may also enjoy Eine Jugend in Deutschland from Ernst Toller, autobiography of someone who was involved in the Communist uprising in 1918

Reclam has it
>>
The Good Soldier Sjvek - Jaroslav Hasek

Satire of Austria-Hungary's military.
>>
>>7652012
>>7652012
>>7652015
Thanks, I speak/read German so I'll keep an eye out for those.
And on the way off chance that you know Danish I'd recommend the diaries and letters of Kresten, a Dane through and through who was conscripted because he lived on what was after 1864 German soil, he participated in major offensives and died for another guy's fatherland.

He was also an aspiring writer/lecturer which means that the prose is genuinely great at times.
>>
File: 9781846687877_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg (30 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
9781846687877_p0_v1_s260x420.jpg
30 KB, 260x400
>>7652022
>The Good Soldier Sjvek - Jaroslav Hasek

Was gonna add this. Also surprised no one mentioned:

Company K - William March
Her Privates We - Frederic Manning
The Enormous Room - E.E. Cummings
>>
File: meinkampf.jpg (12 KB, 182x277) Image search: [Google]
meinkampf.jpg
12 KB, 182x277
>>7646179
Look at me mum! I'm shit posting.
>>
anyone know if it's possible to get the original 1920 text or 1924 revised text of Storm of Steel (in English)?

I've read the Hofmann translation of the 1961 text, but I was interested in reading the older versions since Junger revised the book so many times during his life, both adding and removing things.
>>
>>7648273
>>7648294
>>7652007
This is a literature board and yet we have cretins like this who are arguing who is to blame for a murdering from which no decent human being had any benefit other than inspiration to express their dissatisfaction and experiences from such a terrible event, instead of realizing that anybody that was pro-war was wrong.
>>
>>7652980

>instead of realizing that anybody that was pro-war was wrong.

so the allies were wrong to stamp out the despicable germans?
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.