[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this guy right or is he a fool? https://www.youtube.com/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: barron.jpg (34 KB, 667x326) Image search: [Google]
barron.jpg
34 KB, 667x326
Is this guy right or is he a fool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0sspv5npis
>>
His apparel answers.
>>
File: 1449359974913.gif (499 KB, 450x296) Image search: [Google]
1449359974913.gif
499 KB, 450x296
>>7646076
>>
>>7646040
I liked his book Catholicism
>>
>>7646081
Back to you, lad, I was saying he was right.
>>
File: 1452651207782.png (371 KB, 532x800) Image search: [Google]
1452651207782.png
371 KB, 532x800
>>7646040
Much of why art is the way it is today is because of the invention of photography. Although he may be right about art otherwise.

His depiction of modern ethics is inaccurate. Nietzsche and Sartre's moralities are not at all popular. I think he is trying to get at the fact that there is increased individualism in the modern world, but there is still an acknowledgement of final cause in morality. Most people follow some sort of utilitarianism or humanism, the final causes being utility or human flourishing (using final cause loosely as he is).
>>
>you need to be catholic to reject expressionism and existentialism
>>
>>7646163
>I was just pretending to be euphoric
>>
>>7646040

I'll admit that he is smart and I am nowhere near a doctor of philosophy like him. But this was just a convoluted way of tricking people into thinking the church is actually misunderstood when people blame it for whatever people blame the church for. And I generally don't agree when he sais that modern morality is based on what the individual thinks is right. I don't even know how he took that out of his ass. Modern morality doesn't say racists are moral because they think they are right.

Unless I misunderstood something
>>
>>7646268
Are you really so meme-seeking you deny anything that does not fit into your memetic framework?
>>
>>7646273
Modern morality has a liberal dogma of sorts that is based entirely on the feeling of those that adhere to it.
Utilitarianism and humanism have no real foundations and essentially serve as justification of whatever you felt before rationalizing it.
>>
>>7646291

>Utilitarianism and humanism have no real foundations and essentially serve as justification of whatever you felt before rationalizing it.

Religion is no different, in fact Humanism is a more rational articulation of Christianity.
>>
>>7646291

Go outside some day, leave your basement, you will see that the world isn't made out of sjw. The vast majority of people still base their morality on utilitarianism and humanism, probably even more so than ever.
>>
>>7646222
How can you say Nietzsche's thought hasn't trickled down over the centuries?
Talk to any highschool student.
>>
>>7646302
Humanism denies the rational of the universals and is nominalistic meaning it's not even sustainable because it has a self refuting axiom.
Nature which man disconcerns with reason which is inherently reasonable and which has teleological moral rules within it was abandoned by humanism.
Religion (which is far too wide of a term so I refer to the platonic tradition which still exists in form of Catholicism philosophically speaking) can build a sustainable, coherent axiomatic system with clear rules based in reason while humanism can only play smoke and mirrors about how lacking it's axioms are making it into a movement where as there are no universals everything is subjected only to will of the most powerful and influential and 'good works' only depend on that making it relative to the point of meaningless.
>>7646313
I didn't bring sjw into this, why do you?
Also the fact that humanism and utilitarianism are predominant over virtue ethics is completely irrelevant to the argument.
>>
ayyy this dude must dig ayn rand lmao
>>
>>7646351
Probably not at all. Rand is very contrary to the Catholic faith.
>>
>>7646351
ayyyyy
>acts as if there is a problem with digging Ayn Rand
>>
>>7646326
>As if the general high school student knows shit about Nietzsche.
>>
>>7646357
>muh Aristotle
>>
His video about the Divine Comedy is really great.
>>
>>7646369
I knew a few who did, they are still my friends. None were fedora tier Nietzsche fans.
He is often quoted all around the place by people who know jack shit about philosophy and pretending to like him is popular. That's why you have naturalists and humanists quoting him as an authority against Christianity.
>>
>>7646369
The average high school student doesn't need to know anything about Nietzsche to be influenced by him or any one of his disciples. That's the point.
>>
>>7646381
All of Based Barron's videos are great.
>>
>>7646480
An example being?
>>
>>7646076
>>7646081
>>7646163
>>7646237
>>7646268
>>7646280
>>7646302
>>7646313
>>7646351
>>7646363
All these shit posts. Can you guys refrain from that stuff for one thread?

To the people talking about humanism and utilitarianism, i think in modern society there is a lot of a type of care free sensualistic view to ethics and stuff, maybe coming from rampant consumerism plus the widespread atheism/faulty view of religion. Nietzsche would come in when people reject God and seek existential comfort (or whatever word) from personal success and human success. Now that may be going into something else when its projected towards humanity, idk. I think this ideas stay seperate in certain people (modern average person) and blend in others, placing the goals of travelling the world and viewing everything you can before you die, not having kids so you can have your car and time for yourself, looking to the bright future of science and human exploration in the cosmos, and looking at ethics in a very personal way, not viewing to any higher model or rule, like: why must i not have frivolous sexual encounters? Its fun, and we can be safe.
Now i dont know how right this is but u think its something like that. Sorry if i sounded like a cranky old man, i know it might sound too moralistic for you youngsters (aha!).
>>
>>7646710
Panties in a bunch? Go head back to reedditt please.
>>
>>7646381

You got the link? Can't find it.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.