[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
philosophy basics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7
File: 600px-LoEGWebley3.jpg (39 KB, 600x255) Image search: [Google]
600px-LoEGWebley3.jpg
39 KB, 600x255
Greetings fellows!

Could you fine gentlemen give me a shortlist of the basic and most porminent historical philosophers and their works/best translations?

Im looking for a sortof encyclopedia of world philosophy, ideas, opinions, theories and thoughts. To gain general knowledge and broaden my outlook on life, see things from different perspectives etc.

Best regards, /k/.
>>
Someone post the 11 philosophy charts. Those serve as a great jumping off point plus allow you the ability to branch out into the many given sub fields.
>>
>>7645993
I would personally try to find local group in the area the are enthusiast and join them in the discussion.

at least I tend to learn far more through the active discussion I join in rather then just self reading which serve mainly more common ground in the discussion.
>>
>>7646020
Bumping for this
>>
File: Reading_List_Philosophy.jpg (3 MB, 2948x5020) Image search: [Google]
Reading_List_Philosophy.jpg
3 MB, 2948x5020
>>
>>
File: lit_polessential.jpg (4 MB, 2776x6096) Image search: [Google]
lit_polessential.jpg
4 MB, 2776x6096
Chart thread?
>>
File: 4L_0YhtE5RB.jpg (3 MB, 4961x3508) Image search: [Google]
4L_0YhtE5RB.jpg
3 MB, 4961x3508
>>7646972
Chart thread.
>>
File: translations.png (3 MB, 2000x2100) Image search: [Google]
translations.png
3 MB, 2000x2100
>>
>>7646961
This doesn't seem too bad, does it? I read The symposium and Republic in college and neither were difficult or tedious. Are the others listed here similar?
>>
>>7646949
Actually a pretty good list, but "De Rerum Natura" was written by Lucretius not Epicurus, nevertheless it explains the epicurean thought.
>>
>>7646995
Its more depend on what your underlying question in reading then which text, something that will come afterwards.
>>
http://plato.stanford.edu/
>>
>>7646972
>Gilgamesh
>TKaM
>Tom Clancy
Why even make charts if you'll just add bait to them? Just make a real chart.
>>
>>7646961
Awful and unnecessary

>>7646949
Bloated, and arbitrary and lopsided in its bloat, would be great if it had explanation. I like Boehme too, but most 19 year olds looking to "get into philosopy" probably need an explanation.

>>7646985
Full of horrible translations, unexplained controversial choices

>>7646982
Well-meaning, but some awful choices and poor explanations
>>
This isn't a chart thread. Even if it was the 11 philosophy charts are the real gems.
>>
>>7647063
Someone please post these
>>
>>7645993
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>7647046
post your own recommendations you rat fuck
>>
What's the best translation of Meditations?
>>
These are all memes OP; just read Russell's Problems and Philosophy and you're solid as an intro.

Honestly though, you can afford to skip around as long as you don't overreact to new insights.
>>
File: 1439933606046.png (152 KB, 803x688) Image search: [Google]
1439933606046.png
152 KB, 803x688
>>7647745
>denying yourself the experience of anamnesis
>being spoonfed
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.