[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I don't want to sound like a pleb but this was really a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: book+cover+final.jpg (2 MB, 1000x1250) Image search: [Google]
book+cover+final.jpg
2 MB, 1000x1250
I don't want to sound like a pleb but this was really a pain in the ass to get through. Dante's character is one of the most unsympathetic I've ever had to follow. Couldn't relate with him at all.
I would probably had to read it through again to really appreciate the vision of the Hell that Dante presented but after first reading it didn't leave any marks on me at all.

Also I think that it aged horribly due to altered conception of Christianity. I don't know...I was pretty hyped for it though.
I'm talking just about the Inferno, how are the other two standing?
>>
>reposting this cause no one took your stupid b8 the first time around

fuck off
>>
>>7645900
Did OP post this thread before? Can you link the earlier one?
>>
>>7645905
I'm OP, this is the old thread >>7641174

First of noone really answered the last question and second, I kinda want to still have a discussion about this book.
>>
>>7645888
On Dante's unsympathy, the point is made I think early to mid-way through that to sympathize with people in hell is to question God placing them in there. It's a form of hubris that Dante corrects within himself. People in hell are exactly where they belong. It is the will of God. Dante's being a good Christian.
>>
>>7645888
>i don't want to sound like a pleb
too late.
>>
>>7647476
this is what I read it as, the further down the levels he goes the less his human morals affect him and he begins to understand the divine morality. He was also very high on himself and salty for being exiled. Still amazing book if you think about it. It is pretty much a mash up of christain hell, greek mythology, and Florence politics all with great imagery.
>>
>cant relate to the character
jesus christ. when will this meme die.
>>
>>7647476
>not feeling sad for the greeks outside the gate
>>
>>7645888
Why do you expect to relate to a character that goes to hell in a book written over a thousand years ago?
>>
>>7645888
>Dante's character is one of the most unsympathetic I've ever had to follow. Couldn't relate with him at all.
Of course being the fedora-tier american millennial that you are, you would have trouble relating to a fucking italian poet.
I swear 'the character was unsympathetic' is shorthand for 'wasn't exactly like me'.
It's easiest 'criticism' one can make. Just like blindly saying 'the pacing was bad'.
>>
>>7645888
>not relating to main character is a flaw
So it's true. This board really was taken over by tourists.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.