[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Europeans care about American Post-Modern literature?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: ideology.png (43 KB, 735x189) Image search: [Google]
ideology.png
43 KB, 735x189
Why don't Europeans care about American Post-Modern literature?
>>
>american
>literature

pick one
>>
>>7645738
>non-American
>humans

choose one
>>
because America is a third-world country.
>>
Why don't rugby players care about my Sanic fanfiction?
>>
>>7645745
>2016
>wanting to be human

top pleb
>>
>>7645732
awful font rendering
>>
>>7645750
I will have you know that Sonichu is copyrighted material.
>>
I don't think that's true. I'm a yuro and my favorite book is Catch-22.
>>
>>7645732
their imam said american lit was haram
>>
>>7645732
Why don't Americans care about Hungarian self published erotica?
>>
Europeans read awful dated works that follow Booker award conventions. They are tasteless.
>>
Because, more than everything else, Europeans wish their little countries to be the only place on the planet.
>>
>>7645732
Because no one cares about american literature.
>>
>>7647212

what?
>>
>>7645732
why don't americans care about american post-modern literature?
>>
>>7647212
>Because, more than everything else, Europeans wish their little countries to be the only place on the planet.
Don't see the issue with that desu
>>
>>7645738
>american
>postmodern
>literature

Pick any combination of two, just not all three.
>>
>>7648166
Postmodern America
>>
>>7645976
Joke's on you, bud.
>>
>>7645732
Enlightened faggots?
Top kek
>>
>>7645732
because the entire continent just gave up after Joyce. they refuse to acknowledge his American spawn.
>>
>>7645732
Ahh, so that's the reason why John Hawkes was way more popular in France than in US (if you want some source of info about it, William Gass was telling that in some interview; that it was such surprise their were that popular in Europe).

As for myself, I'm European and I like American po-mo. The issue is that a lot of it centers about American problems. I mean, it may be great, but JFK assassination (just a first thing that came to my mind and because I really like Delillo myself) isn't that interesting to average European person; the themes of those books aren't that familiar here probably, or dunno how to say it.

And, the very same thing can be said in the opposite way; and it can be seen here as well: most of the european books that are poste here are classics, not the contemporary stuff (or po-mo stuff); how many Pinget, Blanchot, Sarraute, Magris, Handke etc etc etc are here? And I'm mentioning only really big names, nothing too obscure.
>>
>>7648321
This desu, it may come as a shock to you but europeans don't share the whole obsession with 9/11 or the history of US presidents at all
>>
>>7648337
>>7648321
This is a ridiculous provincial sentiment. Like a Goth saying he doesn't care about what's happening in Rome. Well you should care.
>>
>>7648431
man, I said 'average person', and it may shock you, but even 'average persons' are reading books. And I think it has been this way always.

Also, most of the readers out of anglo-american countries (and of course, beside lit's '>translations' meme) tend to read translations. So, now imagine rather small country somewhere in Europe; there's a few big publishers, few small publishers; even if there is a lot of readers, most of them will be casual readers, not exactly fans of po-mo in general (and even less American) - you can see these as 'average readers'. Now, big piblishers, what are they going to do? Release some relatively obscure author and sell like 200 copies of that book? No they probably won't do it, because it's money loss. Then there are small publishers, they are releasing more obscure books (some of these publishers don't even do it for money, just for the sake of releasing good books), but again, these books will be bought by few hundreds people. This is huge minority f population, lot of them doesn't writing on the internet about these obscure books. And even if they would do it, it still wouldn't change the bigger picture in which it seems that no-one cares about po-mo, experimental writing and shit like that, hell even most of the poetry.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.