[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this a bit of a let down for anyone else? I was expecting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg (371 KB, 1089x1600) Image search: [Google]
Catcher-in-the-rye-2.jpg
371 KB, 1089x1600
Was this a bit of a let down for anyone else? I was expecting a bit more out of it.
>>
Fuck off.
>>
>>7645617
I just finished this book last week and I liked it. I really did. I just didn't find it as good as I'd like to find it.
>>
>>7645629
I wasn't in the mood for it. You have to be in the right mood for these things.
>>
>>7645632
>>7645629
Cheeky devils.
>>
He rapes his sister, Phoebe.
>>
>>7645778
If there was one thing i hated, it was the phrase "cheeky devils". People sound so phony when they say it. They really do.
>>
>>7645866
No he doesn't
>>
No, I loved it. But now I don't feel as much but then again it is the exact thing Holden would complain about. So I think he captured it pretty well
>>
>>7645866
Explain!
>>
>>7646748
Yes he does.
>>7647025
He rapes her when he comes back to his own home at night near the middle of the book.
>>
>>7647025
He's lying!
>>
>>7647056
How?
>>7647057
I know.
>>
>>7645617
>>
>>7647056
No. He does not.
>>
>>7646748
>>7647057
>>7647163

>The 'He rapes his sister is a meme' meme.
stay pleb, lit
>>
God this board is awful
>>
>>7647342
see you tomorrow reddit!
>>
I honestly don't get why it was so controversial. I understand that it was written in 1950 , but still.
>>
>>7647383
glorification of rebellion, depiction of profane objects from an under-aged viewpoint, etc
>>
>>7647163
I think this is some kind of meme. I saw it on a different thread too. Trolling.
>>
>>7647559
>He rapes his sister, Phoebe.
No it's true.
>>
>>7645617
It's significant in its formation of a new style, unreliable angsty outcast narrator, and also an easy read accessible to teenagers. It's not in schools because it's the exemplary representation of this style, but because it's a popular one that's easy to deconstruct, like an AK47. I find that a lot of school reads get locked in at a certain era and remain there even when their time has passed (Mockingbird). In fact, consider that it could be intentional to keep this in curriculum as an example of 'controversial' lit when it no longer is. Why stir the waters with a more modern book that will genuinely scare people?

That being said I do like the book. Read it, nod, and move on, is my advice.
>>
>>7647570
I thought it could be interpreted that Holden was molested as a child, and might have a slightly sexual, still developing attraction to children himself. But I never noticed textual or contextual evidence of him raping Phoebe. Just to indulge this for a second, if he rapes her mid-way through the book, she shows no sign of this trauma while talking to him later. Holden is reliably unreliable, in that when he's lying, we can generally catch him at it. I wouldn't think he'd be capable of hiding something that big that well.

If you have some textual evidence (actual quotes from the scene you're referencing) that would help.
>>
>>7647588
Did u rly take trolling srsly
>>
>>7647588
i just wanted to say that i don't usually troll but now i understand why people do
it's really fun to see the reactions to your stupidity
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.