[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Starting with the Greeks which one of you cuckolds keeps
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: w. shakes.jpg (47 KB, 446x600) Image search: [Google]
w. shakes.jpg
47 KB, 446x600
>Starting with the Greeks

which one of you cuckolds keeps pushing this meme?

Start with Shakespeare not some pagans in robes.
>>
>memespeare

fucking anglos i swear
>>
yeah def dont start with the people that shakespeare borrowed all the ideas for his plays from
>>
>>7645551
Shakespeare got (stole really) all of his plays from French playwrights and poems. He probably couldn't even read Greek or Latin.
>>
>>7645559

yeah haha, i mean imagine thinking comedy of errors was basically a rehash of menaechmi lmao, definitely stolen from a french dude instead

though tbf if anything he stole more from roman and more contemporary italian (of the previous century) writers and the likes of chaucer

but greek and roman influences are still generally there throughout if not always direct
>>
>What is philosophy?
>>
>>7645559
He could definitely read Latin. There are too many Latin phrases and references to Ovid for him not to have been able to speak Latin.
>>
>>7645551
>>7645559
>>7645604

>2016
>Not borrowing ideas

Jesus, it's like you guys want to be amateur forever.
>>
>>7645559
>>7645618
he knew "little latin and less greek"

anyway most of his shit was from stuff like the historia of brittain and saxo grammaticus.
>>
Start with Linear A.
>>
But, my friend, Shakespeare, too, started with the Greeks!
>>
>>7645559

>stole

lol
>>
>>7645559
and they got theirs from the greeks
>>
>>7645618
someone else in his troupe could have helped him out.
>>
>>7645559
there's nothing new under the sun
>>
>>7645559
do you have a source on this? I want to read about the french playwrights
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.