[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sorry for the pleb opinion, but I was wondering if you could
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2
File: Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg (38 KB, 205x300) Image search: [Google]
Starship_Troopers_(novel).jpg
38 KB, 205x300
Sorry for the pleb opinion, but I was wondering if you could help me find some books. I've been getting into military science fiction recently after reading Starship Troopers and The Forever War. I was wondering if there was any modern books that deal with themes from the US war in the middle east?
>>
Not middle east but WW1, but you might want to check out Ernst Junger's Memoir "Storm of Steel"

>A memoir of astonishing power, savagery, and ashen lyricism,Storm of Steelilluminates not only the horrors but also the fascination of total war, seen through the eyes of an ordinary German soldier. Young, tough, patriotic, but also disturbingly self-aware, Jünger exulted in the Great War, which he saw not just as a great national conflict but—more importantly—as a unique personal struggle. Leading raiding parties, defending trenches against murderous British incursions, simply enduring as shells tore his comrades apart, Jünger kept testing himself, braced for the death that will mark his failure.
>>
>>7645549
Thanks. I just started Old Man's War in the hopes that it would be a little bit more modern. I want to see how many military science fiction books I can find that have themes from all of the different major wars.
>>
The Iliad - Homer
The Peloponnesian War - Thucydides
Anabasis - Xenophon
Anabasis of Alexander - Arrian
The Gallic War - Julius Caesar
>>
>>7645539
Forever Peace is applicable to recent US wars, even if it was written in 1997 and is kinda shit.
>>
>>7645669
Is that the sequel to Forever War? Didn't think the book needed a sequel as it was wrapped up pretty nicely.
>>
File: Shrike_2.jpg (95 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Shrike_2.jpg
95 KB, 400x300
Dan Simmons' Hyperion series has a lot of high-tech SF stuff, particularly book 4. principally how it fails utterly when faced with something it doesn't understand.

like this big guy here.
>>
>>7647341
i meant high-tech SF military stuff.

(error: you must wait 2 seconds before posting a reply. oh go to hell)
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.