[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It seems like /lit/ doesn't really talk about Bukowski
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5
File: charlesbukowski2_2339973b.jpg (67 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
charlesbukowski2_2339973b.jpg
67 KB, 620x387
It seems like /lit/ doesn't really talk about Bukowski

What do you guys think about the author who used to go to bed piss drunk every day?
>>
talentless hack. books for non-readers.not literature.
>>
He's fantastic. /lit/ has a hate boner for him. They are merely defensive and acting out of contrarian response to his popularity.
>>
>>7645354
pleb detected
>>
dude shit jobs lmao
>>
>>7645360
plastic patrician detected

you will never know true patrician standards
>>
>>7645347
i don't need to read his books. i've already got an uncle who is the real world henry chinaski.
>>
>>7645368
whatever helps you sleep at night pleb
>>
>>7645373
no, please continue dumping. your vanities can't yet be satiated. tell us how you really feel.
>>
>>7645387
(You)
>>
Kneel to the cross on the wall.

You know who this is so on and so motherfuckingforth
>>
only read Post Office 2bh
>>
>>7645347
>It seems like /lit/ doesn't really talk about Bukowski
Well that's for a reason kid
>What do you guys think about the author who used to go to bed piss drunk every day?
Goddamn, yall kids seem to think Bukowski was the only alcoholic writer ever. He just was the only one whose literature is exclusively dedicated to brag about it. I can get told shit like that in any bar.
>>
>>7645414
>kids

Why would underage b8 be lurking in lit if we constantly shit on John Green and Twilight?
>>
>>7645433
bukowski only seems good to illiterates and edgy teens
>>
>>7645414
>yall kids seem to think Bukowski was the only alcoholic writer ever

no shit pleb
>>
>>7645440
What?
>>
I Met a Genius is the only Bukowski work I like, can anyone recommend anything like it?
>>
he had nice legs
>>
Ive used to read him a lot when i was a young college student and felt that he had an exciting low class life compared to my spoiled comfy life. Ive quit university and now i live by my own, im unemployed or working in shitty jobs and i drink to forget about my depression and the world that surrounds me. Pretty much living the dream
>>
I still like him, whatever you cunts say. Even if it only should be for Pulp. Bukowski had a certain way of thinking which was stupid in some instances, but I fail to find a similar one in books of other authors.

You don't have to be so fucking pretentiously patrician.
>>
DUDE LIQUOR AND WHORES LMAO
>>
>>7645347
Bukowski is a good lad, he just upsets pretentious people who aren't about that life.
>>
>>7645347

read him when I was a teen and thoroughly enjoyed all of his works.

not really interested in him any more, I guess I'd read some of his poetry.
>>
>>7646137
Mate, I can get told what Bukowski writes about in any bar. Talking that shit with a real guy is fun. Maybe if you need to read about it it's because "you aren't about that life" and idealize that shit.
>>
>>7646150
So you only read literature to supplement bar talk and any overlap between the two means that the literature that overlaps with bar talk is flawed for that reason?

Sounds like a silly set of criteria.
>>
>>7646162
I read literature to get fascinated with themes, ideas, stories or ways to tell them. Bukowski is boring, lame and predictable in all of that.
>>
He is the ICP of literature
>>
>>7645347
He is the My Pretty Pony of literature.
>>
>>7646169
Youve come to a thread to shit on someone elses opinion of an author. You sound like someone who reads to impress others.

Aka massive pleb
>>
>>7646169
Most people don't only read to get fascinated with novelties though, being able to relate is also an important aspect.
>>
File: 1447209439006.jpg (30 KB, 452x302) Image search: [Google]
1447209439006.jpg
30 KB, 452x302
I've seen better...
>>
>>7646206
Should have posted CĂ©line, HST was a shit tier novelist.
>>
>>7646196
damn u got me mate
>>
File: 1431523586177.jpg (183 KB, 980x1742) Image search: [Google]
1431523586177.jpg
183 KB, 980x1742
>>7646220
>>
>>7646197
That's lazy.
Empathy with characters and shit is a thing. Consuming any cultural product just because its content is supposedly similar to your life is a) lying and in fact yearning for that lifestyle
b) autistic
>>
ya HST was very shit tier

if you don't like bukowski then you must HATE hst

i like bukowski though, one of my favorite authors, his stuff gets old after you read a good 65% of it though...i have all his books and poetry and stuff and after a while it gets pretty redundant

but i dont think i so thoroughly enjoyed an author as much as him, but then again I'm into stuff like henry miller, celine, john fante, etc so it stands to reason that i'd like bukowski
>>
>>7646248
That's like saying talking to people with which you have things in common is lazy and autistic.

Pretty silly still.
>>
No one would give no fucks about Bukowski ouvre if it had been written by a lame bureaucrat instead of a funny rude alcoholic. Same goes for Kerouac, Burroughs and all that shitlords.
>>
>>7646279
Think there are (or should be) huge differences between face to face chats and reading/writing fiction desu.
>>
>>7646296
I don't see why desu.
>>
>>7646286
That applies for everything shit lord
>>
>>7645347
If anything he seems like the most punk poet I've read. But after a bit you get tired of it. He really is hit or miss with his poetry, wrote way too much for his own good.
>>
>>7646307
You can be interested in a narration because of three reasons
a) You are close to the protagonist and care about how he did more than about the happenings or ambient in which they took place (ask your friend about his trip to Morocco or his drunk night)
b) You don't know the happenings or ambient and you're genuinely interested on them (you're interested on Moroccan culture and society and read a book or ask about them to someone who was there, even if you don't usually give a fuck about the guy's life)
c) You already know the happenings or ambient, but you enjoy the form of the narration in which they're presented (you tell your friend to tell again the anecdote of his trip to Morocco, or read a book which lirically describes it's ambient).

Bukowski ain't interesting in none of those ways.
>>
only plebs like bukowski
>>
>>7646286

burroughs was basically a lame aristocrat you fucking pillock

for what it's worth tho, bukowski is pretty good. Gay Brewer wrote a good book of essays on his work. Jean Genet thought he was the best American poet too. No, he isn't a genius and he's pretty edgy, but his stuff is incredibly well crafted, especially his short fiction.
>>
>>7646329
Obviously not.
Live like a boring bourgueois so you can be wild in your literature, said a french nigga. Many authors had really tasteless personal stories. Those who got inspired in their own lifes to write their shit wrote about something more than a documental portrait of their reality. Baudelaire or Faulkner, for example. Or their reality was interesting and shocking, not like Bukowski's.
>>
>>7646378
For me all three of the reasons count for Bukowski. I find him sympathetic, I find the setting interesting and I think his style is entertaining.
>>
I like his poem the bluebird but that's prolly cause I'm a woman with BPD.
>>
>>7646562
>a girl with mental issues likes Bukowski

gee, color me surprised.
>>
>>7645347
People's answers are unironically the same as their reason to hate him, predictable. Maybe that reminds us of our own predictability. I love Bukowski because he writes what he wants wich is more or less what he sees. often times he was not worried if it was predictible, because his words and stories were his own. Just like all of us. The problem is that people on this board want to write like some othe author. Nobody wants to write like him.
His short stories are better than the novels and poems. In any case I liked Post Office, Women, Notes of a Dirty Old Man and Ham on Rye. Tales of Ordinary Madness is a good place to check his short stories.
>>
I see why /lit/ would hate him, he was the anti literature writer. He wrote like shit and did a good job at it.

Theres something beautiful about observing a demented fuck who acts sociopathic towards the world he lives in and the characters he creates.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.