[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How long do you read for in a single day and many pages do you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1431781819582.jpg (226 KB, 1134x1001) Image search: [Google]
1431781819582.jpg
226 KB, 1134x1001
How long do you read for in a single day and many pages do you read per hour? I'm setting a goal for myself to read for longer periods of time and at a faster speed and I want to set a realistic goal.
>>
i read for about half an hour on the train, twice a day, averaging 400 pages
>>
I prefer to take my time, read closely, weigh each word, each sentence, etc., ask questions, and so on, which generally puts me at a pace of about 30-40 pages an hour. If I'm speed reading, it would probably be several times that number, but honestly, why read anything that you're not completely interested in? If it's for school, I would think that a good rate of knowledge retention would similarly necessitate a more slow, deliberate approach. I'm a full-time college student, so I'll generally read for about eight hours a day, but rarely all in one sitting.
>>
>>7644448
It's not that I don't enjoy it when I'm fully invested in reading, but I have ADHD that I'm trying to overcome. I'm aware it's a meme disorder.
>>
>>7644445
> 1h
> 400 pages
> 6.6 pages per minute
Learn to lie better.
>>7644448
It's hard to invest ourselves in extracurricular readings, because you also don't want to loose track of your noted readings. Keep reading, but focus on school work and put everything else second.
>>
>>7644453
Oh, yeah, I understand--a relative has that, and sitting still for any extended duration, let alone reading, is basically inconceivable for him. They say it gets better with age, though; you could also try medication, but I don't have any advice where that is concerned. Good luck, anyways.
>>
>>7644460
Thanks.

The medication does help in a lot of places but it's no miracle cure. I've found that the Pomodoro technique has helped me when I'm in a library.
>>
Depends. I like to read books over the span of one week, two weeks for the big ones. I look at how many pages the book has, and then divide it by seven. Usually it's forty to fifty pages per book, and I like to read two at a time. Normally about an hour to an hour and a half per day unless it's really dense.
>>
>>7644458
>Learn to lie better.
Maybe he's reading on a phone, retard. Not every page is the same size.
>>
You shouldn't read faster if you are not ready. There is a limit to which the words will just be a collection of letters and when asked to recall you will not be able to remember anything.

Regular genre fiction can be about 30-60 sec per page, while lit fic and non-fic can be about a bit longer and philosophy books can take twice as long.

In reading speed is not everything but as long as you keep doing it and keep pushing the boundaries between active reading and understanding you will get better. Because there is such a thing as lazy reading.

The most important thing is not how fast you can do it but for how long.
>>
Stopping after a certain amount of time or pages is retarded, this is why we have chapters
>>
I read about 20-35 pages an hour depending upon what I'm reading and how long the pages are. I try to read at least 50 pages a day for at least an hour and a half and I generally don't have problems with that even though I average more.
>>
>>7644634
>about 30-60 sec per page
damn, that's quick. Right now I'm at ~40 pages an hour, but that's for english books. Native tongue I'd say 60ish.
>>
I'm reading The Iliad and The Holy Bible. The Iliad I read 1 book at a time (15~50 pages), takes me 1~2hours (I read all notes in each page), and The Bible I read around 5~10 chapters. But I could apply myself even more, when I wasn't home and had nothing to do I would like 100 pages straight for like 4 hours.
>>
>>7644678
whats your native?
>>
>>7644429
I usually don't like to read more than a chapter of any one thing in a day. this way I can read a number of things at once. grad school doesn't always accommodate this, but it is my preference. I always end on a chapter, though.
>>
>>7644707
yes, I hate stopping and the coming back to read in the middle of an idea or story
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.