[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did she mean by that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
What did she mean by that
>>
Women like submission.
>>
File: tantrum.jpg (47 KB, 587x389) Image search: [Google]
tantrum.jpg
47 KB, 587x389
>>7644387
> Anglo poetry

Nails on a chalk board! Make it stop, Mommy! Make it stop!
>>
File: tumblr_lttjd9OZ8c1qadfqfo1_400.jpg (54 KB, 250x333) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lttjd9OZ8c1qadfqfo1_400.jpg
54 KB, 250x333
>>7644387
Sylvia wanted an uncomplicated life where a man took care of her and told her what to do. Fascism for her was a desireable patriarchy, since being single meant fending for herself while subjecting herself to the whims of educated men, mostly phonies. She wanted a blue collar man to make her a housewife and exert his control so she didnt have to (badly) control her own life. She was the anti-feminist.

(tee hee)
>>
Two things:

love that poem

and I would so fuck her. Eat that pussy like air
>>
>>7644670
She'd probably be a Muslim convert these days.
>>
Was Teddy Hughes fedora?
>>
File: tumblr_mux3k8ynCl1qadfqfo1_250.jpg (60 KB, 250x242) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mux3k8ynCl1qadfqfo1_250.jpg
60 KB, 250x242
>>7644679
Nah she was mentally ill.

Her mother and father brought her up as an academic paragon. She fuckin wrecked school, straight As, unobtainable scholarships, top tier internships, the feminist dream. But she was also expected to be a housewife and serve in a traditional 50s american role. The dichotomy tore her apart, since she wasnt exactly standing on a firm foundation anyways.
>>
Is this real?
>>
>>7644711
Of course
>>
Pretty straightforward, really. Nazi symbolism, the prescribed role of the 1950s housewife versus the burgeoning notion of the independent woman, considerable father issues.
>>
>>7644387
This is apart of her poem Daddy. It' talking about her father who was a Nazi Sympathizer for fucks sake.
>>
>>7644711
It's from one of her most famous poems.

Why are you even here?
>>
>>7644387
the capital Brute may denote Brutus, implying a betrayal. As to who is betraying whom, I'd say just based on this that it is a self-betrayal, an acceptance of one's own oppressor—this just based on my loose knowledge of her work; I haven't the poem ready to hand.
>>
>>7644758
Throughout Bell Jar she is attracted to imperious no-bullshit men. Her father's death left a hole that her nagging bullshit mother couldnt fill, and she obviously wanted it filled by someone in the drivers seat.
>>
>>7644778
She does specify it's "every woman" who loves a fascist.
Also Brutus betrayed Cesar to protect the Roman republic. Does it mean she sees the role of women as usurpers, would-be ones perhaps, that need to be kept at bay?
>>
why aren't we discussing "Lady Lazarus"?
>>
>>7644790
What the fuck are you even talking about? What she meant by those fucking stanzas was that he dad was a fascist. THAT'S ALL
>>
the real question is who has read Aerial and who loved it?
>>
File: 032.jpg (592 KB, 1071x1519) Image search: [Google]
032.jpg
592 KB, 1071x1519
That the only eutopia is the outopia of the phallus
>>
Is the Bell Jar worth reading? Harry B. hates her but she killed herself two months after publishing, which looks interesting.
>>
>>7644670
SYLVIAAA

GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE OVEEEEN
>>
>>7644835
It isn't horrible or anything, but it's certainly a bit adolescent, if you know what I mean.
>>
>>7644825

i have read and mildly liked it

>>7644835

its ok
>>
>>7644830
I guess that qualifies as a good end by the author's standard.
>>
>>7644852
There's another ending after that one.
>>
>>7644835
Female catcher in the rye

Knowing what happens after makes it a better book desu
>>
>>7644818
You seem pretty dull witted.
>>
typical /lit/

i was only lurking to see if this place got better but apparently it got worse
>>
>>7645156
You are certainly contributing to any drop in quality mouthbreather.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.