[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> "New Sincerity" was used as a collective name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1
>

"New Sincerity" was used as a collective name for a loose group of alternative rock bands, centered in Austin, Texas in the years from about 1985 to 1990, who were perceived as reacting to the ironic outlook of then-prominent music movements like punk rock and new wave.
>critics have suggested "new sincerity" as a descriptive term for work by American filmmakers such as Wes Anderson, Paul Thomas Anderson, Todd Louiso, Sofia Coppola, and Charlie Kaufman, Zach Braff, and Jared Hess,[19] and filmmakers from other countries such as Michel Gondry, Lars von Trier, the Dogme 95 movement, Aki Kaurismäki, and Pedro Almodóvar.[20]
>In response to the hegemony of metafictional and self-conscious irony in contemporary fiction, writer David Foster Wallace predicted, in his 1993 essay "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction", a new literary movement which would espouse something like the New Sincerity ethos
>"New sincerity" has also sometimes been used to refer to a philosophical concept deriving from the basic tenets of performatism
>As another example of New Sincerity as a cultural movement, some writers have pointed to the adult fans of the Canadian/American animated television show, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

How are all of these things connected?
>>
>>7642446
a very thin thread made of autism
>>
>>7642452
Basically this.
>>
The way I see it, as David said in IJ, "to be human is to be gooey" and all that assorted stuff. All those things revel in knowing melodrama and a disregard for "cool" posturing. They are upfront (read: sincere) about what they are.

At least in most of those examples. Lost in Translation, Garden State, Rushmore, all revel in pathos (the first two, expressly as the feelings of their creators). I wouldn't consider PTA as new sincerity; his films are too, I don't know, stylized? Sure.

I mean, you could argue that Lost in Translation and Garden State (arguably two of the most prominent "hipster flicks" of the 2000's) all try to play at some sort of chic factor. Lost in Translation with its neo-New Wave ambitions and Garden State with its attempts at capturing some sort of young adult zeitgeist. However, the creators willingness to portray themselves (Sofia Coppola implicity, Zach Braff explicitly) as lost and alone makes them "sincere" movies.

Dogme '95 was an attempt to do away with all the pretensions that come with cinematic style and go in for a very raw style that could be seen as a sort of more sincere style, but calling it a movement with a "manifesto" is about as pretentious as you can get, really. I wouldn't really consider those movies part of it, so even though they are more "cinematically sincere" than, say, Lost in Translation, at their core there is a greater sense of pretension which disqualifies them from new sincerity.

None of that probably makes sense, I was just rambling my reactions off.
Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.