[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Delillo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: DeLillo_Don3.jpg (67 KB, 300x438) Image search: [Google]
DeLillo_Don3.jpg
67 KB, 300x438
Don't hear him mentioned here very often, but what do you guys thinks of Don Delillo? i think he's fantastic, but his work is very divisive
>>
There are threads about him all the time.
>>
I think he's a great writer who has unfortunately never produced a great work.

Underworld and Libra are really good in parts though. His portrait of Lee Harvey Oswald is fantastic, makes me wish Libra weren't a conspiracy book but a straight character study, because he gets the whole 'Travis Bickle' type down perfectly.
>>
the names is by far his best
>>
>>7642097
I liked white noise. Haven't read anything else by him yet but I will eventually.
>>
The only book of his I've read is Cosmopolis and I didn't like it very much. Should I give him another try?
>>
>>7642161
i'd say cosmopolis is his best and his writing style and themes don't really change so i'd say maybe give him one more chance and if you still don't like him, give up
>>
Read White Noise recently, didn't like it much (save for the Pynchonesque paradoxical disaster training stuff; that was p. funny). Really melodramatic and overwrought, I thought, plus extremely shallow characters.
>>
>>7642146
the names is great but its parts didn't cohere for me.
one minute it's some borgesian mystic detective mystery, then it's a really badly toned relationship drama, and then it's like hanging around the peripheries of an airport thriller.

on a different note, it will be interesting to see how the film adaptation plays out.
>>
He definitely deserves more appreciation.
>>
>don't see extremely popular author on /lit/ very often
I am getting so fucking tired of this meme.
>>
>>7642097
>Don't hear him mentioned here very often
Is this /lit/'s version of /mu/'s NGE ost meme?
>>
reminder that The Body Artist and Cosmopolis are better than Mao II and Libra
>>
>>7642097
Reminder Delillo did 9/11
>>
>>7642160
>tfw no babette to snuggle up to at night
>>
>>7642097

I'm currently reading (ayy lMao II atm, pretty cool so far.
>>
>>7642097
he predicted 9/11, the drop of the Yen, and me fuckin ur mom lol
>>
Libra is a perfect novel in every sense.

Underworld is amazing.

He predicted 9/11 first in "Players" (1977).
>>
I don't know why his shorter works (the Body Artist, Point Omega) don't get any attention, I think they are some of DeLillo's best works.

>I wanted a Haiku war
>I wanted a war in three lines

They way Elster sees war is incredibly interesting. Also the whole space and time stretching thing with the 24 hour American Psycho thing and the house in the desert is masterfully done, similarly the opening scene of the Body Artist which is probably one of the slowest scenes I've ever read and with it captures the idea of love and intimacy in a very unique way.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.