[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Currently studying love through the ages, these are the suggested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (273 KB, 1510x1049) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
273 KB, 1510x1049
Currently studying love through the ages, these are the suggested texts for us to read for the course, which of these are the better ones? Also, if anyone can suggest any other books that could link into the topic, that would be useful
>>
>>7641458
>that font
I'M GONNA YAK ALL OVER MY SNEAKERS!
>>
The Symposium - Plato
Troilus and Criseyde - Geoffery Chaucer
The Cossacks - Leo Tolstoy
White Nights - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
>>
>>7641486
Alright, I'll check some of these out, thanks man
>>
>>7641458
Whatever you do don't read The Child In Time, it's dreadful
>>
>>7641737
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>7641458
Just avoid The Kite Runner, Oranges, and I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings and you be good.

I have't actually heard of the orange one, but it probably sucks.
>>
>Wing to Wing, Oar to Oar: Readings on Courting and Marrying
It's a really insightful book with readings on precisely what you described
>>
Ars Amatoria. Ovid
Amor en los tiempos del colera. Garcia Marquez
>>
Agape agape - gaddis
>>
do check out great expectations
middlemarch is the shit
la vita nuova by dante isn't on that list but you should read it
>>
>not rwading sorrows of young werther before reading frankenstein
it's like you want to fail at the first step
>>
>>7641458
>Frankenstein is shit
>The Kite Runner is shit
>The Bloody Chamber is god-tier

Not read the rest.
>>
>>7641873
>Frankenstein
>shit
Motherf*... actually, now that I think about it, I didn't exactly enjoy the book either.

If talking love through the ages, wouldn't some plays be relevant? I'd imagine
>Much Ado About Nothing,
while not exactly a novel, would provide a nice contrast for building a perspective. Just my five cents, appreciate your thoughts.
>>
>>7641744
Sentimentalist to the point that you'll be tearing your hair out. Contrived plot. One dimensional, boring, generic, robotic characters. Acutely sexist. Etc.
>>
>>7641458
Catullus' poetry.
>>
I read tender is the night for a similar course and thought it was great, much stronger than the other novels of the same author
>>
>>7641458
how can you study love without studying sex? about 80% of those books are castrated meditations.

obvious literary suggestions would be nin and miller, some of baldwin, and sade. there's plenty more out there. from the list mcewan is the only one that stand outs when it comes to analyzing sex in his work.
>>
Capellanus
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.