[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Edgar Allan Poes stories worth reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: 130_eapoe.jpg (12 KB, 286x289) Image search: [Google]
130_eapoe.jpg
12 KB, 286x289
Are Edgar Allan Poes stories worth reading?
>>
Quantify the worth of reading.
>>
>>7640677

better for children but they're still entertaining. much better than his shit poetry
>>
Some are pretty dull, but at least the well-known ones are worth your time, sure.
>>
>>7640677
He's really, really uneven.

Sometimes he just completely misfires where his "big horror twist" ends up being something ridiculous and the rest of the story is filled up with limpid orbs of luminescent jelly.

The Masque of the Red Death is my favorite story of his.
>>
>>7640683
Oh God is his poetry shit.
>>
>>7640716
How can you even stand being so pleb?
>>
>>7640694
Are you confusing him with Lovecraft?

Most of Poe's stories aren't even horror. Break out of your required highschool reading list, senpai.
>>
>>7640771
>aren't even horror
They're trying to be. That's the problem.
>>
Masque of the Red Death is one of the best stories in terms of imagery I've ever read. When I was a kid I really liked some story where a guy kills his wife, buries her in the cellar, and then gets haunted by an obnoxious cat.

That said, Poe's one of the most grotesquely overrated writers. For this type of thing, I recommend looking at the English gothic romantics and the American southern gothics.
>>
>>7640677
Yes.
>>
>>7640716
It made my head hurt but it's kind of in character.
>>
>>7640785
No they aren't. The Gold Bug, Never Bet the Devil Your Head, The Man of the Crowd, The Angel of the Odd, Mellonta Tauta, The Domain of Arnheim, The Man That Was Used Up, the Dupin stories... are any of these intended as horror? Even much of what Poe wrote as "horror" was written with satirical intent.
>>
>>7640716
>>7640683
yeah, but so is Shakespeare's
>>
>>7640785
Poe is not trying to be anything.Poe is just Poe.
>>
>>7640802
>calls Poe overrated
>suggests English Gothic literature
Fuck off, Walpolefag.
>>
>>7640840
According to Poe, he was trying to be Lord Byron.
>>
>>7640677
Only a few. Tell-tale Heart, Masque of the Red Death, Cask of Amontillado and maybe the Black Cat are any good. Everything else is either bland or just outright shit, like the Domain of Arnheim or Landor's Cottage.
>>
>>7640879
The Domain of Arnheim is excellent.

I assume that you are judging his fiction by plebian standards and dislike the fact that Arnheim lacks plot.
>>
>>7640892
The Domain of Arhnehim is that era's Avatar. It's just meant to look pretty and wow the troglodytes without giving anything of substance. Give me (what is essentially his essay dressed up as a story) Imp of the Perverse any day.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kNYJPoRWiw
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.