[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My list of books to read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: 5732088.jpg (166 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
5732088.jpg
166 KB, 540x540
In the Miso Soup - Ryo Murakami
The 120 Days Of Sodom - Marquis de Sade
1984 - George Orwell
The Age of Spiritual Machines - Ray Kurzweil
The Andromeda Strain - Ray Kurzweil
Beyond Good and Evil - Friedrich Nieztsche
Brave New World - Alduos Huxley
The Consumer - Michael Gira
Cows - Mathew Stokoe
Farenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Journey To The End of Night - Louis-Ferdindand Celine
Juiliette - Marquies de Sade
Justine, Philosophy in the Bedroom, and Other Writings - Marquise de Sade
Lolita - Vladimir Vladimirovich Nabokov
The Metamorphasis - Franz Kafka
Naked Lunch - William S. Burroughs
No Longer Human - Osamu Kosinski
Notes From Underground - Fyodor Dostoevsky
The Painted Bird - Jerzy Kosinski
Stoner - John Williams
Story Of The Eye - Georgies Battaile
This Spoke Zarathustra
Unbroken - Laura Hillenbrand
The Wasp Factory - Iain M. Banks
The Woman In The Dunes - Kobo Abe
The World As Will And Representation - Shopenhauer

I am just trying to get into reading. Anyone know what book I should start with?
>>
Animal Farm is an easy read.
>>
Start with the Greeks
>>
Proceed with the Persians
>>
>>7640402
start with no longer human
>>
>>7640427
I've been told not to read it, because it's very very depressing.
>>
>>7640430
>>7640402
Is the OP list books your currenly own, or ones you like the look of?

If you don't want to read No Longer Human, why have it on the list?
>>
>>7640599
It's owns I have on my kindle, which I like the sound of. I haven't really read any of them. I've tried to read a couple of them but my reading skills are pretty poor. I can type like a 20 paragraph blog about my life, and text away with people online. When it comes to reading lengthy texts though, I just have a lot of trouble focusing for really any length of time at all. It's something that I'm trying to overcome. Hence why I got myself a kindle and made a to read list.
>>
Seriously man, in your case I'd say ditch the list for now and pick up something that toes the line between genre and literature and have fun with it. I think haruki murakami is a fun read and you have a much higher chance to finish it than any of those books (save bnw and animal farm). Once you have a book or two under your belt and know how to concentrate and comprehend texts, move on to more literary pieces. There's no rush, reading should be a good experience. If you jump into something like doestevsky immediately you'll be bored to tears by the dense prose and slow plot.
>>
I'd get a collection of short stories, good way of reading great literature, but not too tough on your attention span.

Pick up "About Love & Other Stories" by Chekhov (it's about £5 on Amazon) and read away.
>>
>>7640402
Cut Kurzweil, he is a moron who can't accept his own inevitable death. Read Bataille or Murakami first.
>>
>>7640906
Also this is pretty good advice.
>>
>>7640906
thank you, this is just the kind of reply I was hoping for. I'll check out haruki murakami. Any books in particular?
>>
>Anyone know what book I should start with?
the Illiad and the Odyssey
>>
>>7640971
Find one that has a plot that interests you, personally Ive only read Wind Up Bird and After Dark, but I've heard better reviews from Norwegian Wood and Hard Boiled Egg. But just make sure you're having fun. If you aren't interested by page 50, and booked by page 100, move on. Youll have time later to work through uninteresting books in search of deeper enjoyment, for now look at it as someone watching popcorn flicks and gradually progressing to art house films. It's a natural progression and the people who don't experience it are the ones on /lit/ who profess to be well read but havent finished a book in months. Good luck.
>>
>>7640402
So, how does someone who dropped out of middle school get a job these days?
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.