[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which novel has the best closing sentence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 6
File: jutand.jpg (274 KB, 1280x1266) Image search: [Google]
jutand.jpg
274 KB, 1280x1266
Which novel has the best closing sentence?
>>
>that neck
Yes
>>
>>7639103
Moby-Dick had a pretty memorable one for me.
>>
>>7639133
"And with that, the whale was dead."
>>
>>7639133
that movie sucked, bra
>>>/tv/
>>
>>7639103
Gatsby or Ulysses or This Side of Paradise or The Sun Also Rises or Gravity's Rainbow or Pulp
>>
>>7639103
Either "To this account, I, Severian the Lame, Autarch, do set my hand in what shall be called the last year of the old sun." or "He says that he will never die."
>>
>>7639187
>He says that he will never die

I want that passage tattooed on my skin. And I think tattoos are gross.
>>
>>7639164
>Ulysses
>yes
>>
At the time, his shrieks were confined to the repetition of a single, mad word of all too obvious source: "Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
>>
>>7639205
> He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, the judge.

Is the judge Satan or death or evolution?
>>
Gatsby, gets better with age
>>
>>7639133
"Call me Ishmael"
>>
>>7639219
Are you stupid?
>>
>>7639164
>EVERYBODY NOW
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>7639164
Could somebody post Pulp's final sentence?
>>
>>7639217
Seconded.
>>
>>7639221
U8theB8
>>7639216
My first projection of him was that he was an aggregate of all the knowledge and all of the malicious nature of humankind, and that he was never really there, but existed as a construct if the kids imagination, an interloper swaying the kids humanity So all three of those could work. Many have said that he represents a gnostic Archon but my knowledge of gnosticism is too shitty to make a judgement call.

I've recently begun thinking that the entire narrative was just a campfire story for the kid as told by his father who may have very well experienced horrors illustrated in the text and is using the judge to reflect the awful nature of people he had encountered in his life. It may take away from the sheer size of the story in the eyes of some, but I think it just reinforces the judges immortality.
>>
>>7639252
Hmm, that's interesting. The judge was made up by the kid to project all his evil doing on. Being part of the gang, the kid must have done awful things, yet he never mentions them. At the end the judge talks about things he shouldn't know, how the kid abandoned a dude in the desert. Maybe the kid opened up his veins in the jakes. Even though I like this idea, I'm going to stick with the judge being Satan, because I'm a nerd and like supernatural stuff.
>>
>>7639216
I think Judge Holden was the embodiment of war and destruction as an ideology. He sought to destroy anything that stood against that ideology through his own "dance of war". I take no credit for this theory as I read it in someone's MA thesis I found on the internet.
>>
>>7639397
So, as I said, the judge is evolution.
>>
I Am Legend's is pretty great because it makes the title make sense
>>
>>7639407
Oh, yes. There's no doubt that he embodies human progress, in a twisted sort of way.
>>
broom of the system
>>
Someday they'll want us.
>>
And thus he spoke, in infinite jest.
>>
>>7639407
Ah, yes.
>>
"I am thinking of aurochs and angels, the secret of durable pigments, prophetic sonnets, the refuge of art. And this is the only immortality you and I may share, my Lolita."
>>
The Stranger has a great last passage
>>
>>7639205
came in here to post this. has stuck with me ever since I closed the book
>>
The recognitions.
>>
>>7639133
This. The Epilogue was beautiful, and the last metaphor of the orphan and the mother looking for her missing sons is just... It still gives me the chills.
>>
>anything other than "Hurrah for Karamazov!"
>>
"Every action he made, every experience he had, every connection he'd ever formed rushed through his head and he realized that death wouldn't end his suffering - his life was a tragicomedy, a sadomasochistic wankfest, an infinite jest."
>>
"After all these years, he realized, the great burden and the great victory made him who he is, made him Harry Potter."

"So, we stand here at the end of all things, our lives changed forever. Us, the Karamazov brothers."

"Now I've finally become Don Quijote."
>>
File: poster_1984_lrg.jpg (47 KB, 416x680) Image search: [Google]
poster_1984_lrg.jpg
47 KB, 416x680
>>
"it was a true work of ficciones"
>>
>After all this time, finally I've become Les Miserables!
fucking hugo you hack
>>
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the great gatsby.
>>
>>7639164
>>7639217
Yes, it's Gatsby. It's cliché, but true.
>>
>>7639752

came here to post this
>>
The Sun Also Rises
>>
And so, my friend Socrates, ends the story of the Metaphysics.
>>
The Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man
>>
>>7639870
This made me lol in real life
>>
no one else got chills after reading the last sentence of 100 years of solitude?
>>
>But Sam turned to Bywater, and so came back up the Hill, as day was ending once more. And he went on, and there was yellow light, and fire within; and the evening meal was ready, and he was expected. And Rose drew him in, and set him in his chair, and put little Elanor upon his lap.
>He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m The Lord of the Rings,’ he said.
>>
>>7639217
>>7639234
>>7639891
I agree. Gatsby followed by One Hundred Years of Solitude in a not so close second.
>>
>>7640055
Me too. Fucking garbage.
>>
>>7640058
I supposed is more apealing in latino languages, but second you anon.
>>
>>7639752
yup, nabo for win
>>
File: i-am-legend.jpg (26 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
i-am-legend.jpg
26 KB, 309x475
>>7639103
I Am Legend
>>
>>7639103
Quite obviously ulysses
>>
>>7639800

kek
>>
"And so the Judge rode on, o'er the Blood Meridian, Or an Evening Redness in the West."
>>
I, uh, l-liked the ending of Inherent Vice.
>>
>>7640058
Post it. I haven't read the book and i hate magical realism and i want to take a piss on it.
>>
>>7640238
mah nigga
>>
File: savage.jpg (94 KB, 586x447) Image search: [Google]
savage.jpg
94 KB, 586x447
>>
>>7640281
GOAT desu
>>
>>7639123
Like a swan
>>
The ending of The crying of lot 49 completed and ended literature as a whole. Pynchon will never be rivalled in his display of restrained brilliance. Not even Macbeths crazy plottwist approaches the multilayered depth of the final paragraph of TCOL49.
>>
All human knowledge can be contained in these two words wait and hope.
>>
>The instant the blade tore open his flesh, the bright disk of the sun soared up behind his eyelids and exploded, lighting the sky for an instant.
>>
What on earth is less reprehensible than the life of the Levovs?
>>
>>7639219
Les Enfantes Terribles. Zero called it.
>>
>>7640404
fuck off
>>
>>7639205
I want it tattooed on my wall you fucking retard what the fuck man
>>
Like a dog!
>>
>>7639103
I asked if Santa was buried there. - Could it have happened? Could have they found her? They found those two after all...
Nuto had sit on the wall and was now watching me with his obstinate eye. He shook his head. - No, not Santa - he said - they're not going to find her. A woman like her they couldn't cover in dirt and leave like that. It was too good for too many. Baracca took care of it. He had them cut just enough sarmento from the vineyard, and we covered her up 'till it was just right. Then we poured the gasoline and we lit it. T'was all ashes by noon. There still was the sign last year, like a bed of a bonfire.
>>
File: modern classic.jpg (40 KB, 620x368) Image search: [Google]
modern classic.jpg
40 KB, 620x368
*teleports behind you*
I'm a little hesitant to post any ending lines in case of spoilers, but what the hell:

"As Daenerys Targaryen rose to her feet, her black hissed, pale smoke venting from its mouth and nostrils. The other two pulled away from her breasts and added their voices to the call, translucent wings unfolding and stirring the air, and for the first time in hundreds of years, the night came alive with the music of dragons." A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin

*sips red wine*
WHOA. Ahem. We mean, at the end of this book, we see the return of something historical that everyone thought was gone for good. (It's an interesting parallel to the Prologue and first Bran chapter, where we see the Others and a direwolf for the first time in a long time, too.)

*clears throat*
G.R.R.M is a modern Tolkien. Character development. This is the first place, where I think Tolkien is outshone. To be fair, character development is very clearly not Tolkien's purpose. The overwhelming theme in his book is good versus evil, and a plot like that isn't conducive to character development, as it usually leads to fairly one dimensional heroes, like Aragorn and Sam. The richness in the characters is in their backstory and their motives, but if they have many shades of grey deep down, it's hard to tell from the books. Again, this is clearly by design. Tolkien spends almost no time on his characters thoughts and feelings. The focus is on action, and it works brilliantly with the plot. Martin, on the other hand, spends a lot of time on character development, and does an UNBELIEVABLE job. A lot of it is really easy to miss. The example "Anonymous" gave on Jaimie is great. Martin gave Jaimie this amazing redemption scene, but shortly after that he makes Jaimie wonder aloud whether he'd rather have his hand back or his son, and he thinks, "Hand". He reminds you that he's still the same guy who pushed a seven-year-old out the window. I loved that. Another example of the level of detail and, for want of a better word, "relatability", is when Arya travels to Bravos. The longer she stays in the city, the more she starts using Bravosi phrases, like "just so". Arya is a child, despite all she does, and he allows for that impressionability in the change of her diction. I think that's pretty incredible. He's also not afraid to have characters repeat the same thought over and over again in their head. It's a little wearisome as a reader, but that's how people think! We don't have fascinating new thoughts every second. We mainly vacillate between sex, food, sex, the last bad thing we did, sex, and, oh yes, sex
>>
"And so we beat on, boats against the current, born back ceaselessly into The Great Gatsby."

>>7640333
Otherwise this
>>
>>7640238
Honestly it made the whole book make sense for me, it's such a crazy ride, but I didn't really understand why I was enjoying it so much until the last chapter

(The movie is garbage, don't watch it)
>>
“West. Call me Kanye West.”
>>
>>7640530
(these are all quotes I found on the internet)
>>
"Amen."

THE END

Pretty basic tbqh
>>
>>7640333
just finished this this morning and found it funny that it ends as these meme threads joke (e.g blah blah blah waiting for the crying of lot 49) but since its such a short novel and ends so open ended it worked out wonderfully
>>
Liked Brave New World, even though it was pretty cliché.
>>
>>7639103
So we beat on. Boats against the.... you know how it goes.
>>
Roadisde Picnic is up there.

Я живoтнoe, ты жe видишь, я живoтнoe. У мeня нeт cлoв, мeня нe нayчили cлoвaм, я нe yмeю дyмaть, эти твapи нe дaли мнe нayчитьcя дyмaть! Ho ecли ты нa caмoм дeлe тaкoй… вceмoгyщий, вcecильный, вceпoнимaющий… paзбepиcь! Зaгляни в мoю дyшy, я знaю — тaм ecть вce, чтo тeбe нaдo. Дoлжнo быть. Дyшy-тo вeдь я никoгдa и никoмy нe пpoдaвaл! Oнa мoя, чeлoвeчecкaя! Bытяни из мeня caм, чeгo жe я хoчy, — вeдь нe мoжeт жe быть, чтoбы я хoтeл плoхoгo!.. Бyдь oнo вce пpoклятo, вeдь я ничeгo нe мoгy пpидyмaть, кpoмe этих eгo cлoв: „CЧACTЬE ДЛЯ BCEХ ДAPOM, И ПУCTЬ HИКTO HE УЙДЁT OБИЖEHHЫЙ!“.
>>
>>7640238
this, novel and film play out as comedies but are filled with such sadness the final sentence and final shot of the film really brought it out
>>
Grapes of Wrath. That old dude getting breast fed was funny.
>>
"Not the least adornment of the chronicle is the delicacy of pictorial detail: a latticed gallery; a painted ceiling; a pretty plaything stranded among the forget-me-nots of a brook; butterflies and butterfly orchids in the margin of the romance; a misty view descried from marble steps; a doe at gaze in the ancestral park; and much, much more."
>>
>Anything other than "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."
>>
Now everybody
>>
File: dolphins.gif (2 MB, 279x200) Image search: [Google]
dolphins.gif
2 MB, 279x200
>>7641958
>Дyшy-тo вeдь я никoгдa и никoмy
>oнo вce пpoклятo
kek
>>
>>7640059
+1 internet
>>
>>7639217
Truth
>>
Truth
>>
"No, John. You are the demons." And then John was a zombie.
>>
>No Meursault, you are The Stranger

WHY CAMUS, WHY
>>
Dead souls
>>
He loved Big Brother.
>>
>>7639210
Underrated post.
Probably best ending sentence from Lovecraft.
>>
>>7639205
Which book?

I like it.
>>
>>7643642
Blood Meridian
>>
>>7643651
Cheers m8
>>
>>7643642
I considered posting the full passage so as to provide some level of context but... Just read it, Man. It will affect you.
>>
Adding another vote for Great Gatsby. Otherwise, this:

But then I returned one day, to find all my careful scribing gone to fragments of vellum in a trampled yard with wet snow blowing over them. I sat my horse, looking down on them, and knew that, as it always would, the past had broken free of my effort to define and understand it. History is no more fixed and dead than the future. The past is no further away than the last breath you took.
>>
>>7639103
>He says that he will never die

blood meridian. It's so simple but so brutally revelatory.
>>
>>7639187
dude we're definitely taste-bros.
>>
>>7640712
>>7640712
>>7640712
>>7640712
>>
A way a lone a last a loved a long the riverrun past Eve and Adam's from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
>>
>>7640469
yup
>>
>>7639753
This pretty much
>>
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger… a Man on the Move, and just sick
enough to be totally confident.
Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.