[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
has anyone else read this book? I'm about 4/5ths of the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 9780679725756-us-300.jpg (25 KB, 300x462) Image search: [Google]
9780679725756-us-300.jpg
25 KB, 300x462
has anyone else read this book?

I'm about 4/5ths of the way through and I'm not really enjoying it at all . . . every hundred or pages or so it gets exciting but in general i just want to be done with it. I'm almost finished so i might as well go the rest of the way.

has anyone else read it? and if so, what are your thougths?
>>
>>7639040
It's a lot of fun, very nice in german.
>>
>>7639040
I loved it. Obviously can't assess the original but the translation was beautifully written. Without wanting to meme, it almost sounds like you're reading for plot or something.
>>
>>7639040
I found it rather enjoyable, much more than Cat & Mouse at least.
>>
>>7640123
Have you read Dog Years? It's much more in the style of Tin Drum and very good. Has a chapter narrating the fall of Berlin through a hunt for Hitler's escaped Alsatian.
>>
Absolutely fantastic book.
>>
>>7639040
The movie was like a crap German version of Forest Gump.
>>
File: 1349451372446.jpg (36 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
1349451372446.jpg
36 KB, 580x435
>>7640157
Where the hell do you see parallels between them?
>>
Why do discussions of magic realism always revolve around Latin American authors and not feature Grass? Dude seems magic realist as fuck to me, and IIRC his work predates Marquez.
>>
>>7640158
In style, very similar allegories, if thematically divergent, but mostly the fact that both of the protagonists were retards.
>>
>>7640162
Except the protagonist from The Tin Drum isn't a retard but a cheeky intelligent cunt.
>>
>>7640170
I should've said "all but a retard" or "a retard for all intended purposes". But ya, you're perfectly right.

But anyway, does anybody think the book is considerably better?
>>
>>7640173
It's considerably better than the film. Film stands on it's own as good though.
>>
>>7640162
How's Forrest Gump an allegory? Does Gump stand for Murrica as a whole? Is the message that Murrica goes through troubles but ultimately survives and prospers by being stupid and optimistic?
>>
>>7639040
If you want to read garbage from some shitty nazi just read Mein Kampf.
>>
>>7639040
The movie was fucking horrid.
I had heard people talking for years about how 'weird' and great it was.
It was a bore and only had one decent moment (horse head on beach).
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.