[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is Riding the Tiger? Embracing degeneracy but not enjoying it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: Ride_the_Tiger_Cover.jpg (43 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
Ride_the_Tiger_Cover.jpg
43 KB, 316x475
What is Riding the Tiger? Embracing degeneracy but not enjoying it?
>>
No, surfing the wave of degenerate age until it crashes, neither partaking in it or resisting it outright.
>>
>>7638661
If you don't partake in it, isn't that resisting it though? I can't wrap my head around that.
>>
How would you explain Evola's philosophy and worldview in few words? Is he similar to any other philosopher/author? People talk about him a lot here and I'm curious.
>>
>>7638704
The transcendent is real, man exists to embody it, we used to know now shit's fucked, no ideology can save you except an authentic relationship with ones ground of Being/transcendental origin
>>
>>7638668
Not anymore than a hermit contributes to the military actions of the state he is a nominal member of, though it's important to remember Evola does not necessarily advocate monasticism or isolation
>>
This fuckin dago is one crazy racist
>>
>>7638722
What are his suggested methods for attaining that relationship?
>>
>>7638634
Fucking /lit/ inspired me to buy this book, and I just could not get through it. Not so much because I misunderstood him, but mostly because the way he structures his ideas. It seems like a philosophical rant against ideas he poorly explains, thus showcasing his misunderstanding of them, and provides refutations and alternatives without proper justification. This is clear if you're able to read through his unorganized writing, something I decided which was not worth my time.
>>
>>7638722
What is the Transcendent? God?
>>
>>7638634
You can live in the modern world in any way you want, what matters is your link to the transcendent dimension of being. So, it is not what you do that matters, but your internal attitude towards things. This is very simplified, obviously, but that's the general idea.
>>
>>7638661
So, its posting on 4chan?
>>
>>7638775
look to the traditional methods. he wrote books examining these methods. he has a book on buddhism , a book on tantrism, on alchemy, on ritual uses of sex etc. in ride the tiger,specifically, he speculates that these methods may not be as effective as they used to be, and he makes some other proposals. there is also the question of a "crisis" which in most cases will be necessary for a "transcendent awakening". read his books for more info. personally i recommend reading "revolt against the modern world" first in order to get acquainted with his major themes.

after you have read that you should read "crisis of the modern world" by guenon, who was a major influence on him. if you find yourself intrigued jump right into both of their works that specifically discuss such traditions. they both have excellent books on specific spiritual traditions and practices.
>>
>>7638634
>/pol/ack stumbles into /lit/ asking for an explanation of his meme book because he was too simple minded to understand it
Every time. When will you plebs learn Evola is not entry level?
>>
>>7638634
Ebola is a Crowley tier pleb, disregard him.
>>
>>7638704
Metapolitics and Apoliteia. For example, see Alain de Benoist and the French New Right, not as a movement but a school of thought to live ones life and understand the world
>>
>>7638864
Ride the Tiger is not for modern/postmodern Liberals
>>
>>7640553
This.

Not even a personal slight on /pol/, but they seem to push Evola hard without having read him themselves. He's not exactly an author you can pick up and start browsing without already having a firm grasp of philosophy, theology and anthropology, not if you want to understand him at all.

>>7638634
Riding the Tiger only works if you think like Evola, which is borderline impossible because the man was a brilliant autist who combined random odds and ends of different philosophies and cosmologies to build up a bizarre sort of pseudo-religion. It's more fascist than fascism, and it relies almost entirely on the fundamental basis that Hinduism is the one true religion and that we're living in the fourth age of the great cosmic cycle, when all the demigods are dead and materialism is the norm.

He's the kind of guy you want to read if you want to see just how wild human ideas about societal structures can get, and if you have an itch for applying Jungian-brand archetypes to the human experience. He's not the kind of guy you want to read for a realistic, applicable or serious treatise on proper government or ways to live.
>>
>>7638634
Some anon needs to actually read this shit and provide us with a 1-post precis that doesn't rely on esoteric concepts.
>>
>>7638864
Sounds like you're a pleb to be honest. His writing is extremely dense but in no way is it disorganized or poorly argued. Come on. I swear faggots just throw darts at a wall when they want to criticiSe a book sometime. "Provides refutations and alternatives without proper justification" what would a "proper justification" of providing an alternative to , say, existentialism even look like? He outlines their ideas, and suggests where they go wrong or purposely overlook the transcendent. That's fucking it

>>7638914
The Absolute. The metaphysical god. the ideal that is greatest possible ideal, even greater than the maximal being of theism. Any other descriptions lapse into ineffability
>>
>>7638775
General concepts and ideas but the main principle is this: consolidating all of your energies as a human being under a single, unified will aligned to the transcendent, what is more than life and not just aesthetic hedonism

Very general practices: detachment from external conditions, detachment from and control of thoughts and emotions, cultivation of an unconditional, unshakeable present-moment awareness at all times, physical fitness, self-dignification, the principle of pure action, semen retention/sexual chastity (as in purity, not necessarily abstinence), exposure to primordial nature (tundras and steppes vs. fishing and camping with some brews), etc.
>>
>not becoming the Underground Man

Psh.
>>
>>7638704
"ride the tiger"
>>
>>7638634
riding the tiger is a codeword for homosex
>>
>>7640752
STFU NOOB
>>
>>7640728
>sexual chastity

Ok, this is soemthing I don't get about Evola. He never married and in his interview he says monogamy isn't for him. What did he consider to be sexually degeneate? He seems to be opposed to sexual hedonism but he also seems to be opposed to the sexual norms that we can find in most religions. Is there a third way?
>>
>>7641679
read his book on sexuality

there are sexual relationships that spring from a genuine polarity between individuals. some people, on the other hand, have their opposite sex "within them" so to speak, and dont need to seek it in another person. either way would be fine.
>>
>>7641691
Ok thanks.
>>
>>7638668
Think of it like this: Degeneracy teaches you no skills.
It leaves you soft and malleable. Ignore degeneracy, develop skills, be conscious and lucid, surf the wave, ride the tiger.
And as degeneracy takes but does not give, the wave will crash, the tiger will tire out.
>>
http://juliusevola.co/library/

enjoy faggos
>>
>>7640636
but for modern/postmodern conservatives?
>>
>>7638722
What does transcendental even mean?
>>
>>7642716
ultimately, at least within the context of evola's philosophy, it would refer to something which would be subject to direct experience. we could use words to describe it, but at best it would be a crude approximation. "transcendence" needs to be experienced first hand.

but basically it's a kind of "privelaged" inner state wherein, to borrow a christian expression, one is "in the world but not of it".
>>
File: 1453166943703.png (455 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
1453166943703.png
455 KB, 1136x640
always relevant
>>
>>7642809
Ok. Thank you.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.