[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start if I want to get a good grip of cultural
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: slavoj-zizek1.jpg (22 KB, 255x364) Image search: [Google]
slavoj-zizek1.jpg
22 KB, 255x364
Where should I start if I want to get a good grip of cultural theory?
I just don't want to read about critical theory, I want to be able to apply it myself, reaching my own conclusions.
>>
>>7638617
nobody?
>>
karl korsch - marxism and philosophy
history and class consciousness - georg lukacs
>>
>>7640325
woops misread 'cultural theory' as 'critical theory'

anyways, you're barking up the wrong tree. 'cultural theory' is even more broad then 'critical theory' and critical theory is really fucking broad, because 'culture' (and 'theory' t-b-h) can mean many radically different things to different people

you're better off starting from the basic sociology with foundations in philosophy and moving on from there
>>
>>7638617
what you're asking for requires you to actually read up on cultures and examine how it impacts its people via traditions, entertainment through mediums and otherwise, religious beliefs etc and slowly you can come to some broad understandings to see how civilizations cope and react
>>
>>7638617

Read Douglas Kellner's Media Culture and everything cited in it. The theory section will do just fine if you're lazy, and don't get scared away if you see hints of modern progressivism or social justice between the lines.

After that just read whatever the people Kellner cites have written after the book or what has been written about them. Then proceed to concrete analysis with >>7640337.
>>
>>7640331
>>7640337
I know it's really broad as such. What I want to do is to be able to reach my own conclusions based on theory just like Zizek or any of my university lectures do when they analyse a book or a film based.

I feel I am only touching the surface of the content and in a very passive way. I am not getting the zest of it, the depth and meaning in itself and its context, and having no theoretical background my understanding of it lacks serious support.
>>
>>7638617
>tfw studied anthropology
Dont start with that hack, he doesnt even into cultural theory properly
Read Adam Smith, Charles Darwin, Bronislaw Malinowski, Franz Boas, Levi-Strauss.

After that read post modernist cultural theory, desu only Marc Auge isinteresting, give Foucault a try
>>
an intro to sociology class
>>
>>7643796
Durkheim and Mauss, after that read Gilberto Gimenez
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.